Martyn K12/09/2018 22:44:18
4632 forum posts
3257 photos
Thats great Andy

Thanks
Danny Fenton13/09/2018 08:32:50
8567 forum posts
3461 photos

That is excellent news Andy, I will look forward to that I remember you doing a series of them a few years back, thoroughly enjoyed a bit of full size, especially from somebody that has flown most of these rare beasts.

Really intrigued to hear how, according to a recent FB post, you missed Wales in a Buccaneer!! But that may be for a private conversation

Ken Lighten14/09/2018 14:33:18
215 forum posts
23 photos

Posted by Martian on 12/09/2018 13:39:25:

Anybody who can bear to part with a couple of sheets paid of course I would love to add this as a skill , I am constantly checking e-bay but not at the right time it would seem

I’ve sent you a PM Martin

Ken

Martian14/09/2018 18:24:23
1920 forum posts
910 photos
Posted by Ken Lighten on 14/09/2018 14:33:18:

Posted by Martian on 12/09/2018 13:39:25:

Anybody who can bear to part with a couple of sheets paid of course I would love to add this as a skill , I am constantly checking e-bay but not at the right time it would seem

I’ve sent you a PM Martin

Ken

Thank you Ken

onetenor14/09/2018 20:17:24
1752 forum posts

Shaping Ali to compound curves is easily done by stroking it with light to moderate pressure using the back and handle of spoons.If annealed first go easy as it is easy to tear if you are heavy handed with it. I used to inscribe ships, planes & horses heads an so on into tobacco tin lids from the inside. I'm no artist but peeps seemed to like them.Print was removed first. You could try this as practice for the Litho plate. I would say use tin for the cowl but might be a bit too heavy. Anyway practise on off cuts first.

Martian14/09/2018 20:28:20
1920 forum posts
910 photos

Thanks

2W16/09/2018 21:39:29
47 forum posts

I had 3 sheets of litho plate begged from a printer's in London, but sadly, they seem to have disappeared. Instead, if I am to use litho, the only source I have will be dependant on my consumption of Wadwoth's 4X.....

I was building a SE5A and wanted to use the litho for some of the detailing, inspired by this blog written by Greyhead (I believe this is Grahame Wren, and apologies to him if I am wrong!). It contains a lot of detail on working with litho plate and is worth reading if only for that, but the quality of the build is fantastic. I downloaded the whole blog, including the pictures and printed off the the whole blog, which I still have filed away.

The SA5A blog unfortunately lost all the original photo illustrations (probably due to a change of file server), and without re-reading the current version of the blog on line, I don't know what is missing.

Grahame also published an article on working with litho in the last issue of RCMF before Traplet folded, using some of the illustrations used in the above blog. Both the blog and the article are worth reading by anybody wanting to detail the Fury with Litho.

Danny Fenton16/09/2018 23:02:43
8567 forum posts
3461 photos

It will be interesting to see how people get on using a can as a source, I personal think you will struggle to get it smooth, but I will be happy to be proven wrong.

A modeller in Australia has just posted some pics of his Bryant Fury, clad in a mixture of litho plate and foil, it looks very convincing.

Thanks for the link 2W, but without the pictures I couldn't get enthusiastic enough to wade through it. I also switched off when I saw that the Litho was being cut with scissors. I will show you a much better way to cut the material without distorting it.

I will see if I have the last copy of RCMF still, I did keep some.

I used to enjoy watching Harry Harland show us some of the tricks to lith forming at the LMA bash at Gaydon. I learned a fair bit. However I do have a different approach to some in that I like to tease the shape from within, not beat it out with a hammer

Anyway all will be revealed soon, fourteen days to be exact

Cheers

Danny

Edited By Danny Fenton on 16/09/2018 23:03:21

Ernie17/09/2018 09:28:08
2439 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Fury guys, An update on thev brass bits. Last week, I got a sample to check out. It's very nice indeed, so I've ordered the rest. They should arrive soon. I'll get them off to you all like a riccochet as soon as they arrive

ernie

Stuart Rusby18/09/2018 21:52:09
4 forum posts

My apologies, Ernie, I have sent you a message with my address.

Many thanks,

Stuart

Daithi O Buitigh20/09/2018 22:07:02
1299 forum posts
46 photos

I was wandering round my local second hand book shop and spotted 'On Silver Wings' (covering RAF biplanes from the Snipe to the Gladiator) and found this shot - Fury Mk IIs from 25 Squadron

furies.jpg

One thing of interest for the absolute purist - the fin was offset by three degrees to conteract torque on all Furies. It says in the book that the fins of the squadron and flight commanders were black - but there is a difference in grey scale in the photo. It also looks like those aircraft have the upper surface of the tailplane in the same colour.

There was also this photo, again 25 Sqdn - no wheel spats but bungee cords

tied.jpg

Edited By Daithi O Buitigh on 20/09/2018 22:17:29

Ernie24/09/2018 12:51:48
2439 forum posts
8 photos

Hi fury guys, The brass sheets have just arrived, and very wonderful they are. I'll try to get them off this afternoon, so all should be good for the beginning of October

ernie

McG 696924/09/2018 12:59:04
2242 forum posts
935 photos

Looking forward to admire the bits, Ernie.

Thanks again

Cheers

Chris

Danny Fenton24/09/2018 13:04:57
8567 forum posts
3461 photos
Fantastic news Ernie, can't wait
Cheers
Danny
2W24/09/2018 13:16:55
47 forum posts

Well done Ernie! When I saw how many brass parts are required I really didn't fancy having to make them all by hand....

Roll on October!

William

Martian24/09/2018 16:27:58
1920 forum posts
910 photos

Many thanks Ernie

Fats Flyer24/09/2018 17:03:39
467 forum posts
11 photos

Thanks Ernie,..I like a bit of bling.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Expo Tools 14 July
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us