Forum sponsored by CML

RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advanced mass build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martyn K30/11/2018 22:50:07
4818 forum posts
3498 photos

Fantastic, thanks Ernie. You certainly have a knack for doing engineering graphics

Graham LL01/12/2018 06:52:06
2 forum posts

Danny

I purchased a full Fury kit from Traplet before they went under and I am slowly working through the build. I have just found this forum and have read most of the useful comments from you all, particularly those on the cowl and the brass parts.

Are there still any copies of the brass parts for sale?

The main part trouble that I have had so far was that F6 seems to be too wide and created a bulge in the paneling that is not there on the original.

Thanks

Graham

Ernie01/12/2018 08:02:56
2500 forum posts
20 photos

Mc G, I 've no idea why there are two boost gauges

ernie

McG 696901/12/2018 08:17:18
2469 forum posts
976 photos

No probs, Ernie.

We all need an 'extra' boost every now and then. wink

Cheers

Chris

Jim Andrews 101/12/2018 18:32:19
16 forum posts

Hi Danny

I.m not sure what a PM is!! When I know you better I'll tell you how old I am, I saw a while ago a notification about the Fury build and immediately sent for the plans expecting there would be a series of articles in RCM&E starting in November, As there wasn't I emailed someone who should have known but he told me you didn't get enough starters and the idea fell through. Luckily in this month's RCME there is a mention of the thread. I have spent a pleasant and informative afternoon reading all the posts.. Todfay I have ordered all the bits from Sarik. I would be grateful if I may join the "class"

Regards,

Jim Andrews

McG 696901/12/2018 18:54:34
2469 forum posts
976 photos

Hi Jim,

PM just means 'private massage'... err... 'message'... You'll find the link at the bottom left of every member posting a public message.

Regarding your membership to the Master Class, it's up to Danny to answer you, but I would possibly say 'Welcome to Insanity'. wink

@ Graham > regarding the brass parts, I guess it would be best to send a PM to Ernie as he provided the bunch of us with the etched bits. Maybe he's still having a 'leftover'?

Cheers

Chris

Danny Fenton01/12/2018 19:14:36
9059 forum posts
3926 photos
Hi Jim, not sure who would have said insufficient starters? As Chris says welcome to the build!
If you can use pm to let me know your email, there is a mailing list for us to keep up to date with plan corrections, former redraws etc
For example Andy has just drawn new upper wing ribs showing rails for seperate servos.
Anyway if you can create a thread in the Fury section and introduce yourself to the class
Cheers
Danny
Danny Fenton02/12/2018 11:17:17
9059 forum posts
3926 photos

I have had an email address from Graham (posted slightly up the page) And I have forwarded the former outlines to correct the errors on the plan. This is the benefit of getting your email address onto my mailing list. So if you are building and haven't sent me your address, then send it to me in a PM Don't post email addresses on the open forum.

Cheers

Danny

Colin Leighfield03/12/2018 07:20:22
5772 forum posts
2406 photos

Dick Van Mourik describes difficulties in ground handling and problems with wing-tips scraping the ground, which he resolved by widening the undercarriage 50mm. He also used a thicker gauge wire axle, although that won’t arise with the Dowty undercarriage version, has anyone thought about that? This is definitely going to be a model that needs into wind take-offs and landings, not always so easy on some flying sites. The tailwheel versions might be a bit easier if steerable I suppose. (I just watched the video that Danny posted on Facebook of the beautiful Albatros DVa veering off the runway on landing and tipping over, losing a wheel in the process).

I can easily widen mine but I probably need to lengthen the legs to avoid it sitting at too shallow an angle on the ground and not looking right. That means re-making the whole lot, although at this stage I can do it if necessary.

Ernie03/12/2018 08:52:19
2500 forum posts
20 photos

Hi graham, Yes,I think ive got a set. I'll check it out and let you know later today. Alternatively, you can contact the etcher, and he will cut a set for you

ernie

Stuart Rusby03/12/2018 12:26:53
23 forum posts
1 photos

Andy, Danny kindly sent a copy of your method of mounting the wing servos. What servos would you recommend ?

I have been looking at flat wing servos, they seem powerful enough but I am unsure about the servo arm length I can fit in. Any tips welcomed...

McG 696903/12/2018 12:57:25
2469 forum posts
976 photos

Hi Stuart.

Andy's rib drawing is made following the dimensions of the Corona CS-239MG slim wing servo.

I got mine from HK (EU Warehouse) but if needed, Banggood stocks them as well.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Chris

Andy Sephton 103/12/2018 16:34:19
149 forum posts
360 photos

Posted by Stuart Rusby on 03/12/2018 12:26:53:

Andy, Danny kindly sent a copy of your method of mounting the wing servos. What servos would you recommend ?

I have been looking at flat wing servos, they seem powerful enough but I am unsure about the servo arm length I can fit in. Any tips welcomed...

This is the servo I'm using Stuart:

img_7580.jpeg

I have to say at this point that I have no experience of using the servo. In fact, although I've been flying RC semi-regularly for the past 40 odd years, the last four channel RC scale aircraft I built was in 1983! SO, I'm shooting very much in the dark on this one.

Anyway, my plan was to try to mirror the position of the existing model aileron control but substituting the servo for the bell crank. The servo can be mounted horizontally with the servo arm offset to mirror the bell crank's line of operation:

img_7576.jpeg

The next pic shows the servo arm superimposed over the rib. My aim is to use the innermost hole and cut the rest off, but just in case I need more movement, I'm leaving the final sizing of the arm until the model is assembled.

img_7577.jpeg

The next photo shows the skewed servo arm on the servo. It's printed upside down, so the TE is to the left of the picture and the lower surface of the wing is upwards, if you see what I mean.

img_7578.jpeg

Jim Andrews 104/12/2018 11:55:13
16 forum posts

Reading all the posts I missed I see that at one time builders declared the power type they intend using, in my case that will be i/c.

Anyone got a Laser 120 surplus to requirements, please?

Jim

Danny Fenton04/12/2018 12:00:36
9059 forum posts
3926 photos

Good luck finding one Jim, they are getting harder to come by.

Sad to say I have never owned one, keep meaning to get one, one day......

Do they still etch your name on them? or is that a myth?

Cheers

Danny

Manish Chandrayan04/12/2018 12:25:55
554 forum posts
65 photos
Yes they do stamp your initials on the engine. Haven't seen the 120 available for quite some time now

Edited By Manish Chandrayan on 04/12/2018 12:27:50

Stuart Rusby04/12/2018 12:56:05
23 forum posts
1 photos

Many thanks Andy for all the trouble you took to show me so clearly your intended layout of the wing servo mounting. Because the drive axis is at right angles to the bellcrank axis the end of the servo arm will be below the wing covering and the drive to the aileron horn will be roughly parallel to the underside of the wing. This geometry should be OK, I think, although the horn arm will be at an angle to this drive shaft..

I have used Hitec HS-85MG wing servos on my 1/6th scale Mick Reeves Spitfire to good effect after I had problems with cheaper 'Chinese' servos. The new MacGregor MG2611WHV 11Kg.cm high voltage looks very interesting, also its slightly smaller twin the MG2107WHV 6.6Kg.cm version. They would appear to have a high quality specification.

Stuart

Danny Fenton04/12/2018 13:51:30
9059 forum posts
3926 photos
Posted by Manish Chandrayan on 04/12/2018 12:25:55:
Yes they do stamp your initials on the engine. Haven't seen the 120 available for quite some time now

Edited By Manish Chandrayan on 04/12/2018 12:27:50

Thanks Manish, I have so many projects both in my head and in various stages of completion, doubt I am any different to others crook

Stuart I think Andy was going to cut the horn on the servo down so only the pushrod would poke through the covering?

Cheers

Danny

Silver Wolf04/12/2018 18:04:09
162 forum posts
147 photos

I will be powering mine with a laser and had thought of a 100 or 120, as this would suit future models. Both of these engines are out of production at the moment and after correspondence with Jon (Laser), his recommendation is that their 80 would be suitable, running a 15x6 prop. The 120 is a short stroke engine that likes to rev a little.

Regards

SW

Jim Andrews 105/12/2018 11:36:42
16 forum posts

Thank you SW. If I had not met up with the "class" I would have powered my Fury with either a Merco 61 or a Webra Blackhead!!

A Laser 80 has a lot going for it, they are available and my winter build would have been a Mistle Thrush for which the Laser 80 is reccomended.

Now I am in a dither but think I will go with you!

Regards

Jim

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Revoc
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us