Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advanced mass build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Jim Andrews 106/12/2018 16:28:01
8 forum posts

So far Corunna servos arrived this am, but nothing else. Laser engs. web said they had one 80 in stock so immediately tried to buy it but probably too late as i have heard nothing from them.

Ernie I would be grateful for the contact address with your etchers.

Still waiting for a "huge" parcel fron Sarick, but it is early days

Jim

Graham LL08/12/2018 13:55:00
2 forum posts

I have come into the forum late but I started building my Fury (slowly) a year ago. In case my approach is of interest to others I have made the following modifications to the plan based on my experience in building (and flying) a SIG Smith Miniplane (biplane) kit.

Wings: spruce spars and leading edges. Carbon fibre strip instead of balsa for the training edge. I have put a blind nut into the spar at each of the flying wire / strut attachment points so that a bolt can be used to hold brackets for the flying wires and struts (better to physically attach the struts to the wings?). 3 not 2 hinge parts at each hinge to prevent any sideways movement. Single carbon fibre rod for the hinges for each aileron, not separate bolts

Fuselage: Had trouble with F6 being too large. Used spruce for the stringers, these will not be glued into place until all the elevator, rudder and tail wheel installations are complete. Created a removable 'cockpit box' that can be detailed then installed from underneath.

Fin/rudder: pullull to be used. spruce for the main upright of the fin

Stabiliser/elevators: spruce for the stabiliser bar. single servo but separate elevator horns

Undercarriage: I will make this wider than on the plan as suggested by Dick van Mourik in his 2004 article.

Thanks for all your useful tips and comments. I might build and do a test fIight or two before doing the fine detailing just in case my flying is not up to it. I was lucky to find a Laser120 when I was in UK earlier this year so that is one problem solved.

My main problem ahead is how will I fit it into the car?

Graham

Danny Fenton08/12/2018 20:32:35
8841 forum posts
3699 photos

I have been asked to create a cad drawing of the tool for shaping the leading edges. Which I have done. If anybody wants a copy of the dxf file to give to a laser cutter then just let me know.

leading edge shaping tool.jpg

I have tweeked the design to make the tool longer (100mm) and included two end pieces that are added after the tool is lined with 1.5mm balsa and the 120 grit aluminium oxide paper. The end pieces act as a guide and stop the tool digging into the balsa.

Cheers

Danny

Jim Andrews 110/12/2018 14:33:11
8 forum posts

To all Class members

There has been quite a discushion concerning "what engine". I just happen to have both an ASP 80 and an OS !20. Both four strokes and new in box. Can some tell me if one or the other would be suitable for my Fury,please?

Regards

Jim Andrews

Danny Fenton10/12/2018 16:41:38
8841 forum posts
3699 photos

Hi Jim, I am not much of an IC poerson these days, I know Jon from Laser, has recomended a Laser 80 to one modeller. Richard D who has been flying his for a while felt the 1.20 was much better than the smaller engine he was using. I often wonder if we use a larger engine than we need to these days?

But if you need nose-weight it may as well be useful

Cheers

Danny

Colin Leighfield10/12/2018 23:03:38
5552 forum posts
2269 photos

It still remains that Dennis Bryant flew the original on a Merco 61. A decent four stroke 60 should have similar power these days and it makes you think. Also I come back to Dick Van Mourik who first flew his with a 91 four stroke then decided he needed a bit more power so fitted a 120! I remain “gobsmacked” at his statement that he needed 10 ozs of weight in the nose to get it to balance, a bit frightening. It all seems a bit odd. My original Pat French Team Special, also a 60” wingspan biplane was fully aerobatic on an HB61 (a licence built Veco 61) and later was overpowered with an Irvine Q72, so you do wonder. I think that weighed about 8lbs. from memory.

Richard Mallam.11/12/2018 08:46:00
37 forum posts
3 photos

Graham,

I was interested in your last post as it related to the single carbon rod you used for the aileron hinges. Question - how did you insert the rod through the shaped front edge of the aileron. Did you somehow insert into the balsa or cut a strip/channel? A photo would be great.

Richard

Ernie11/12/2018 08:51:18
2476 forum posts
16 photos

sorry Jim, I missed your posting.

They are PPD at Lochgilphead in Scotland.

They have a good website

ernie

Ken Lighten11/12/2018 09:57:13
235 forum posts
39 photos

Dick Van Mourik placed his servo’s within the lower wing opening, so behind the balance point, that’s quite a lot of weight in the wrong place according to the plan which has them all positioned just behind the firewall thereby creating useful nose weight, he also added scale panels in the aft fuselage sides, even so, it does seem to be a lot of ballast - it’ll be interesting to see the variations in requirements across the various models being built.

Ken

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us