Forum sponsored by CML

RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advanced mass build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Colin Leighfield17/07/2019 22:39:34
5962 forum posts
2492 photos

Hope you get back to normal soon Ernie, that’s bad luck.

Stuart Rusby02/08/2019 11:19:57
24 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Danny. No doubt I'm being stupid but do we assume Dennis Bryant wants us to glue both the fin and tailplane to the fuselage? Seems a little unusual...

Thanks, Stuart

Danny Fenton02/08/2019 20:07:07
9208 forum posts
4055 photos

Hi Stuart, yes that is the idea. Its a bit awkward to work out the sequence, as the sternpost, for the want of a better word has to be glued on after covering. Not entirely sure I have worked it out yet.

Cheers

Danny

Klippy03/08/2019 08:46:38
753 forum posts
13 photos

My apologies if this has already been mentioned, the full size had its fin set at an angle of 7degrees to counteract prop wash (if memory serves) are we intending to do the same?

Danny Fenton03/08/2019 09:18:58
9208 forum posts
4055 photos

I should go with whatever Dennis has put on the plan. If the model is IC then prop wash behaves differently with a small fast prop. If you are using a large slow prop with electric, then the offset would be worth considering.

Just my opinion

Daithi O Buitigh03/08/2019 09:27:51
1357 forum posts
49 photos

It's something overlooked in so many scale models. The Fokker D VII and D VIII also had the fin offset and the Messerchmitt BF 109s, from the F series onwards, used a Clark Y section on the fin/rudder. Most scale drawings don't show it, but close examination of photos do show it (as in the Knowlton D VII)

Jim Andrews 119/08/2019 17:39:05
17 forum posts

danny as I approached the wire bending I became "chicken" and built a couple of free flight models!! I have bent nearly all of the 12 and 10swg bits but please tell me how to get those acute bends in the cabane joiners? Have I missed a trick and they are thinner wire. Someone please help before I start a different model

Jim A

Martian31/08/2019 12:14:43
2235 forum posts
1091 photos

Out of interest how many have finished their Hawker Fury apart from Tony Bennett of courses 😏

Martyn K31/08/2019 13:12:13
4980 forum posts
3624 photos

Mine hasn't moved since Christmas. 4 months of recuperation at the beginning of the year totally mucked up any plans I had for this year. Hope to restart in the next few weeks as flying season slows down a bit.

Martyn

Richard Mallam.31/08/2019 15:26:48
54 forum posts
7 photos

Mine is finished, but yet to fly. Having just moved house with much to do, regret that it might not make it this season.

Richard

Graham Donaldson31/08/2019 15:51:18
21 forum posts
6 photos

I'm afraid it is slow progress. The structure is more or less complete but the details will take some time before covering and painting.

Danny, the horns and hinges arrived this morning. Thanks for your help.

Graham

Martian31/08/2019 16:50:33
2235 forum posts
1091 photos

Good to know there is progress

Colin Leighfield01/09/2019 15:42:51
5962 forum posts
2492 photos

Hi chaps. You might have noticed my recent comparative indisposition after the arm ripping incident. That has caused some re-ordering of events including delaying my eight day motorbike tour in Brittany and the French West coast by two weeks. I got back from that on Friday evening. The arm is healing well and not causing me any inconvenience, so all I need to do now is not repeat the experience and all will be well.

As reported in the thread I finished the main work on the wings a few weeks back, taking quite a bit of care to get the detail on the carbon rod and brass tube wing attachments accurate, it did make quite a lot of extra work but will be worth it. Then I parked it for a bit to try and get in a bit more flying time and also to pay a bit of attention to the experiment with an RCGF 10cc petrol engine in a Hangar 9 Ultra Stik. Now I am back home I can finish that off and then get back onto the Fury.

The next step with that is to sort out the aileron detail and then get onto the cabane and other strut and rigging issues. The airframe is basically built. So I hope to show some progress soon. Because I am going for a camouflaged finish I won’t be occupied with litho-plate detail so that will save some time. Weaving through all of this is my son’s wedding in less than two weeks, so that is going to provide some additional distraction.

Also I’m waiting for news of the prospects for indoor flying at Shawbury, which is due about now I expect. Life goes on.

Martian01/09/2019 19:13:45
2235 forum posts
1091 photos

I hope your arm is healing well , life indeed gets in the way two of my daughter's got married in the last two months progress on the Fury is slowly drawing to a close no hurry though

Graham Donaldson24/10/2019 15:08:46
21 forum posts
6 photos

At last I am back working on the Fury. There have been too many distractions over the past few weeks ( and I am away from home all next week as well!!).

The wings have progressed but I still have the ailerons to make and the servos to install. However I decided to complete the cabane and struts before going any further but am having difficulty. Are the strut dimensions as detailed on the drawing correct or do they need adjustment. I think that the rear struts should be longer. Also the jig appears to be too tall by about 5mm. Any advice would be appreciated.

Graham

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us