Forum sponsored by CML

RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advanced mass build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stuart Rusby03/12/2019 20:18:49
33 forum posts
1 photos

Danny, you are a kind lad! I'd love you to make me one... I think you'd deserve at least a double whisky..

Stuart

Danny Fenton03/12/2019 22:25:58
9649 forum posts
4458 photos

I don't do whisky I am afraid, beer is fine

PM me your address and I will see what I can do

How urgently do you need it?

Cheers

Danny

Stuart Rusby04/12/2019 20:55:37
33 forum posts
1 photos

In case anyone has changed their mind about using litho sheets for the Fury this is just to say I still have a number of 30x45 cm sheets available. Send me a PM if you are interested, with your details. They are about 0.15mm thick which I find is ideal for the job.

Stuart

Stuart Rusby06/12/2019 10:25:45
33 forum posts
1 photos

Your advice again Danny. From Sheet 1 of the plans it would seem as if there is an air gap under the fin when it is glued to the fuselage, above the tailplane. Since the tailplane is at a positive incidence of about 4 degrees this might be there so the incidence can be adjusted. However since the fin and tailplane are glued in place it would be difficult to readjust this incidence. Am I right in that there should be an air gap or perhaps I've got it all wrong!

Stuart

Danny Fenton06/12/2019 11:59:55
9649 forum posts
4458 photos

Hi Stuart, the Fury has a very clever way of altering the pitch trim. A threaded shaft runs up the rear of the fin post, it is rotated by a cable from the cockpit. the stabiliser front mount pivots, the rear mount is on a bogey fitted to that threaded shaft, as is the lower bracing strut and upper rigging wire. So the wires, braces and stab trailing edge all can go up and down. So really there should be a gap above and below the stab, to allow it to move. Dennis has taken an easier route and mounted the tail-plane in the full down trim position, ie abutted against the fuselage upper longeron.

This stab gaps necessitates the fin also having a clearance to allow the stabs incidence to alter.

So it looks kind of like this:

437.jpg

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Danny

Andy Sephton 107/12/2019 07:58:08
156 forum posts
395 photos

For what it's worth, I'll be mounting the tailplane on my model at zero degrees. I don't believe it necessary to mount it at such a negative angle as that shown on the plan. I'll be relying on elevator control to trim the aircraft.

Tony Bennett07/12/2019 10:53:33
5082 forum posts
129 photos

Mine is not finished and i doubt it will ever be.

the covering is pants and i have lost heart with it.

sorry gents.

Tony B

Stuart Rusby07/12/2019 11:38:47
33 forum posts
1 photos

Many thanks Danny for your very helpful, and detailed reply. In view of Andy's comment (and he has flown the Fury) is it better to leave out this significant amount of incidence? It does seem rather a lot...

Stuart

Danny Fenton07/12/2019 11:41:21
9649 forum posts
4458 photos

Well that is up to you Andy, you have flown the full size. It is possible the 3 views are drawn with the elevator trim all the way in one direction, which could be misleading. To counter that, nobody has complained about the model flying with excessive trim? When I next see Richard Dalgleish I will ask him if his requires much trim.

That is a real shame Tony, can anything be done to remedy the covering? is it going to alter the way it flies? probably not!

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton07/12/2019 17:28:12
9649 forum posts
4458 photos

I contacted Richard this morning and he said the model, built as per Dennis's plan, flies fine.

So I leave it up to you guys what you want to do. I will be following the plan.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Danny

Stuart Rusby07/12/2019 21:13:25
33 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks Danny.

Stuart

Stuart Rusby12/12/2019 15:50:59
33 forum posts
1 photos

On Dennis' plans there is no sign of a forward fin-to-tailplane supporting wire. The photos of the aircraft show two such wires...?

Stuart

Martian12/12/2019 18:26:20
2540 forum posts
1169 photos

I have included forward wires on mine

Martian12/12/2019 18:30:00
2540 forum posts
1169 photos

Stuart look on page 6 of my build Martians Fury the lower is Ali tube

Stuart Rusby15/12/2019 19:39:59
33 forum posts
1 photos

Thanks, I will include the missing forward wires.

Stuart

Danny Fenton15/12/2019 22:25:16
9649 forum posts
4458 photos

Hi Stuart, I am intending to include the forward wires, bracing on mine too. It looks like the replica that Andy is modelling, does not have the additional bracing. Also of interest is that early versions did not have the removable side sections/panels to the fuselage. Another reason you have to find a subject and take details from that aircraft and not use generic 3 views.

The replica in (Belgium??) also uses pinked rib tapes, the Duxford examples (3) all use torn fabric rib tapes.

Cheers

Danny

Graham Donaldson15/01/2020 18:42:18
31 forum posts
8 photos

A happy New Year to all you Fury builders. You’ve gone very quiet!

I have made some reasonable progress although there are numerous bits and pieces to sort out. The main problem I have is with the interplanetary struts. I built then as the plan but am finding it difficult to fit them. My plan is to install the rigging which will tighten things up and maybe make fitting the struts easier..

The airframe is complete and covered - I used Sorartex. I have painted it as per the South African Air Force as detailed on the Airfix 1/48th scheme. I brushed Humbrol Matt enamel but would have got a better Finnish if I had sprayed it. The roundals also were sprayed. Not my best finnish.

I will post a picture in due course, but would appreciate any advise regarding the struts in the meantime.

Graham

Graham Donaldson15/01/2020 19:32:34
31 forum posts
8 photos

I see that predictive text has taken over. Interplanetary should read inter plane and Finnish should read finish!

Graham

Danny Fenton15/01/2020 22:23:58
9649 forum posts
4458 photos

Well done Graham, I look forward to seeing the pics. It has indeed been a bit quiet on the Fury front.

I have been sidetracked with a little bit of indoor mania, have designed and nearly built a little Hawker Sea Fury, (does that still count as a Hawker Fury?) 26g so far

sea fury 31.jpg

Cheers

Danny

Rem Fodder16/01/2020 00:12:09
13 forum posts
9 photos

Danny, I watched the brief You Tube overview of the rotary actuator for the ailerons in the Fury. One word, Brilliant!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!