Forum sponsored by CML

RAF's Finest Biplane? Hawker Fury MkI

Advanced mass build

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martian14/07/2017 16:43:38
2526 forum posts
1163 photos

I've used Ali tape quite successfully and have been able to burnish it with a soft balsa block

kc14/07/2017 18:01:30
6507 forum posts
173 photos

The Ali tape methods are fully explained in the Blackburn B2 thread

I was able to see Tim Hooper's super model at Old Warden a few years back. I was with somebody who had spent a working lifetime as a professional panel beater and he complimented Tim on the panel beating, so he was astounded when Tim explained it was tape! It was almost impossible to believe that this was not actual panel beating work. A little later we viewed the full size B2 in the hanger too and noted that Tim had got the effect just right.

Danny Fenton14/07/2017 18:04:10
9620 forum posts
4444 photos

Look at the louvres eeeek!

kc14/07/2017 18:20:17
6507 forum posts
173 photos

Tim's comments about the 2.4 ghz aerials might be worth bearing in mind considering the Fury was probably a 35mhz or even 27 mhz model which would have had long aerials placed on the exterior for flying.

I came across Brian Peckham's old article about using lithoplate- if anybody needs a copy send me a PM.

Louvres in lithoplate were covered in a Phillip Kent article a few years back - he used a shape wood 'die' in a drill press to punch the louvres. Trouble is I cannot remmber which magazine he wrote that in!

McG 696914/07/2017 19:10:55
3242 forum posts
1230 photos

Thank you for your link to the 'markings' booklet, Martyn.

Seeing "Northern Europe", I was hoping to find some Belgian Air Force markings & decos.

But apparently the only craft with BAF markings seems the one 'donated' by the SAAF to the Force Publique in 1940 which flew in Belgian Congo... and nosed over during a landing in Gambela just a few days after receiving its BAF colors & markings... no

belgian_hawker_hardy_congo02.jpg

But it was a Hardy - aka a 'tropic' converted Hart - and definitely not a Fury Mk1. sad

Back to - nearly - zero unless I decide to 'repair' the K4316... and create a 'swept back' wing too... surprise

Cheers

Chris

Tony Bennett14/07/2017 20:01:25
5082 forum posts
129 photos

hmmm 3D printed louvres.

Tony B

Martyn K14/07/2017 21:41:18
5083 forum posts
3678 photos
See if this works Chris
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/283937951485567346/

Edited By Martyn K on 14/07/2017 21:45:19

McG 696914/07/2017 22:13:15
3242 forum posts
1230 photos

Thanks for the link, Martyn.

I'll have a look at it and report back, of course.

Cheers

Chris

Vince Keld 115/07/2017 01:59:36
41 forum posts
6 photos
Hi Guy's just a thought I've got a few rolls of self adhesive alloy tape obtained from an engineering supply shop we use it for covering up holes and hydraulic hose ends etc when doing rebuilds on earthmoving equipment its very sticky will even stay on when steam cleaning components comes in different widths too
Has a wax paper backing on it I have used to make windscreen frames for my Frog gliders it is thick enough to polish with brasso can be stretched slightly without tearing too
They also sell loctite products too 401 and 406 are very useful industrial strength superglues the tape is 0.25mm thick would this be worth an experiment I was thinking of using soapy water to stop it sticking and trying to form it around compound curves don't worry I will wait until the build starts proper just bouncing ideas around need to buy a table and chair for my shed
Cheers
Vince
Andy Sephton 115/07/2017 10:44:10
156 forum posts
395 photos

I've scanned and posted the covers of several books and magazines I have on the Fury. If you've only going to get one, then I'd go for the Mushroom Publications book 'Hawker Fury and Nimrod'. It has a lot of detail pictures and three-views of the Duxford Nimrod and Belgian Replica Fury to support the text.

However, if you're after a different colour scheme to the normal RAF silver, then you'll find colour drawings of camouflaged Furys in the Spanish booklet and the Allied Wings booklets Vol 1 and 2

Both AeroModellers contain three-view drawings of the Fury Mk 1

img_1688.jpegimg_1687.jpegimg_1686.jpegimg_1685.jpegimg_1684.jpegimg_1683.jpegimg_1682.jpeg

Edited By Andy Sephton 1 on 15/07/2017 10:45:45

Danny Fenton15/07/2017 16:11:35
9620 forum posts
4444 photos

Thanks Andy some really good reference stuff their and at good resolution too. I am leaning further and further to a Nimrod 1 such as the one at Duxford

Cheers

Danny

Fats Flyer15/07/2017 16:22:17
477 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by Danny Fenton on 15/07/2017 16:11:35:I am leaning further and further to a Nimrod 1 such as the one at Duxford

Cheers

Danny

AAhhhhhh,Danny,Are you leaning towards the Nimrod to get away from all the chrome work?surprise

Danny Fenton15/07/2017 17:11:46
9620 forum posts
4444 photos

Would i do that to you guys

Danny Fenton15/07/2017 17:14:22
9620 forum posts
4444 photos

This was a Pupeteer I repaired for a friend, this uses aluminum ducting tape from Halfords it can work well, for those that don't fancy working with Lith.

Interestingly this months RC Model flying covers lith forming for beginners. Clearly something we need to re-explore.

Cheers

Danny

Fats Flyer15/07/2017 18:58:15
477 forum posts
12 photos

Danny, Retracing litho work would be great to pass the time away until we start.

Also, Balsa Cabin sell Oracover film covering in chrome which looks pretty good.But I must admit,considering the price,aluminium tape would be cheaper .

I'm trying to dig out my lithoplate from the other shed at the moment.I think iv'e got around 50 or 60 sheets of the stuff.

As well as litho work,Silver soldering would be good as well...ready for the undercarriage.

If others have got issues of things they're not sure about,maybe we should get them out in the air before we start,so we can all be on the same page when we start.

Danny Fenton15/07/2017 19:09:49
9620 forum posts
4444 photos

That's a very good idea, there are a few skills that could do with a visit.

I was chatting at Cosford today with Martin Fane and we were discussing wheels for his Me109, the Len Gardiner wheels having long since been available and I was explaining how you could make wheels rather than buy. I am not sure he is convinced but Brian Taylor made his wheel from plywood disks and tyres fashioned from neoprene chord (google it, you free flighters especially Mr Sephton know about this stuff, in fact twas Mr S put me on to it!)

It was suggested that we perhaps start making bits like wheels and all those nasty bits of bracketry, or at least cut bits out before the start?

I had a word with Chris at SLEC and he is more than happy to cut us some hinge plates as he did for the Chipmunk. We just have to get him the cad files. He has a slightly thinner material now which will suit us better I reckon.

Anyway all good ideas and it keeps the cells churning

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton16/07/2017 10:07:43
9620 forum posts
4444 photos

This is the progress Gwyn Avenell is making on his top class 1/4 scale Fury. Awesomee!

Gwyn Fury progress

Trevor Rushton16/07/2017 14:35:24
458 forum posts
181 photos

Just ordered some brass sheet from Mac models; I am going to try cutting out some brass parts using the Stepcraft; I will need to make some cad files up for these so depending upon the results I will make them available to anyone that wants them. Whilst cutting parts in plywood is easy enough I have never attempted metal before; it may not work but its worth a try. I don't have the plan yet though so not sure what is involved. If the Stepcraft experiment does not work, the cad drawings could be used for laser cutting.

I will let you know how I get on.

Martin Fane16/07/2017 14:57:54
343 forum posts
368 photos

Danny

Is that 1/4 scale Hart build available somewhere online to read through ?

BTW, the foam cord looks a good idea for the tyres, cant seem to find any large anough for my 109 though (26mm) sad

cheers

Martin

Fats Flyer16/07/2017 16:12:09
477 forum posts
12 photos

Danny,Making wheels from ply is the way to go.Laminating ply and lightply in the middle would make them lighter .I have made wheels this way on another project and they are still being used now.For the tyres I have used Hoover belts made of rubber ,for electric plane wheels I have used the garden kneeling mats for the tyres.This material is quite hardy and keeps shape well.When using this material,i make the inside diameter a little bit smaller so you have to stretch them on to the ply disc.I also use a plastic tube for the middle of the wheel as a bearing,ready for the axal.This also helps when cutting the ply for the round shape on the fret saw.

I wouldn't use metal for the centre of the wheel,mainly because metal to metal noise could upset the signal to the receiver.

Fats

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!