Forum sponsored by CML

Sound system speaker interference?

Or is it something else?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Laverick19/07/2017 19:06:54
230 forum posts
155 photos

Has anyone installed and used the bang-good speakers? I've installed them on two planes and I'm getting interference with the ailerons on both? As soon as the speakers start the ailerons basically become sluggish and movement is reduced to only about 20% with the port aileron going up and the starboard going down. Strangely this is identical on both set ups and doesn't affect any of the other functions. I can't get the RX and speaker set up any further from each other being at least a foot apart! Doing my head in, cos it sounds brill and would be a shame not to use it.

Denis Watkins19/07/2017 20:31:33
4547 forum posts
124 photos

Just a little more info John

Are your servos digital?

John Lee19/07/2017 21:44:50
765 forum posts
86 photos

Sounds like the aileron servos (&/or their extension leads) are picking up EMI spikes from the speakers &/or their leads. You could try shielding one or both sets of leads with metal braiding &/or using ferrite rings. But that's treating the symptoms, not the cause.

Edited By John Lee on 19/07/2017 21:45:59

Denis Watkins19/07/2017 21:55:43
4547 forum posts
124 photos

We are always stuck for room and component alignment guys, so ferrite rings are worth a try, as John suggests

Or if you have any ferrite rod, then wrap at least 3 turns from the cables and shrink wrap these in place

Cables and coils carrying power in close proximity come with the hobby

John Laverick20/07/2017 06:47:47
230 forum posts
155 photos

Thanks for the feedback guys, I decided to reverse engineer and disconnected the speaker system. Guess what? It was the Transmitter! I only went 2.4ghz last year and pretty much bought a level entry TX, turns out the TGY-ia10 suffers with one gimble movement interfering with with another. In my case when I throttled up the ailerons activated. I took the back off, tightened the gimble up (they were very slack) tugged at a few wires and it worked!!! The only problem, I put it back to factory reset so guess I'm gonna be busy recalibrating and binding all my models. Thanks again

John

John Stainforth21/07/2017 13:20:14
367 forum posts
64 photos

An alternative solution is to fit a thing called an i.c. engine to the front of your plane. This has the advantage of providing power and noise all in one package with little opportunity for interference with the radio system. Oh, and it also provides something of smoke machine at the same time. (And, I love the smell of glow fuel in the morning!)

Ian Jones21/07/2017 14:51:59
3226 forum posts
1401 photos
Posted by John Stainforth on 21/07/2017 13:20:14:

An alternative solution is to fit a thing called an i.c. engine to the front of your plane. This has the advantage of providing power and noise all in one package with little opportunity for interference with the radio system. Oh, and it also provides something of smoke machine at the same time. (And, I love the smell of glow fuel in the morning!)

thumbs up Hehe devil.

Oops, we'd better not start that again!

The Wright Stuff21/07/2017 15:39:29
1381 forum posts
226 photos

Mods: worth changing the thread title out of fairness to Bang-good?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!