By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

FrSky X10 - Taranis replacement?

Another interesting new Tx coming from FrSky.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy4817/03/2018 10:47:07
1333 forum posts
1 photos

Agreed. I have found some of the videos of really terrible quality, and many OpenTX videos are often well out of date.

I can assure you that the docs I referred to above were written by a fixed wing flyer (of dubious ability I might add crying).

Geoff Sleath19/03/2018 17:25:56
2664 forum posts
199 photos

Well my new Horus X10 arrived this morning from T9 compelte with an X6R receiver rather than long distance RF module as normally supplied. It certainly looks and feels the part. I love my Taranis but some mechanical features, mainly those horribly flimsy navigation buttons, leave a little to be desired. All I've done is charged the battery (with the supplied DC o/p wall wart rather than wreck it like I did my Taranis with a 'proper' charger ) and wandered round the Frsky operating system.

What I have done is made some adaptations to my Frsky transmitter tray so it will fit. It's a little wider that the X9D and, surprisingly shallower at the bottom where the X9D's battery compartment is. Note that the top part of my tray is 6mm plywood rather than the 6mm Perspex as supplied because I fell over whilst carrying it (actually I tripped on a bramble whilst searching for a lost model) which made the slight widening needed relatively easy:

pict0099.jpg

The handle of the transmitter is secured with a simple Velcro strap and bottom is packed out with a removable (via sticky-back Velcro) lump of blue foam. I also added a piece of 3mm light ply at the top because the transmitter carrying handle just drops into the oroginal tray's carrying handle. It works out perfectly because it makes the transmitter really secure.

pict0100.jpg

Not being easily able to fit the Horus in my tray was one of main concerns because I need to be able to rest my hands when flying to be safe. It's not proved to be a problem so I'm delighted. It weighs about 100 grams more than the Taranis (900gms v 1Kg approx). This is a much better choice for me than an X12 because of the size.

It has the EU LBT firmware but all my receivers are set to the international firmware. I see the D8 option is unavailable but I'm not sure how that would affect any of my usual options. Most of my receivers are X types plus a few 4 channel V8R4-II and an S8R I have yet to try. Has anyone flashed the RF firmware on a Horus?

Geoff

Andy4819/03/2018 20:41:02
1333 forum posts
1 photos

D8 option is available in OpenTX, unclick the EU checkbox before installing.

Its a simple job to update the X and S series receivers to EU LBT using the transmitter.

It seems like you are making life very difficult trying to stay away from EU firmware.

Geoff Sleath19/03/2018 21:00:47
2664 forum posts
199 photos

Yes, I know it's easy to convert receivers between International and EU-LBT because I've done it in reverse for all the receivers I've bought from T9 and I made up a lead to connect from the X9D module pins to do it. I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet. I have frk files saved for both versions on all the receivers I own. If I'm going to use the Horus I'll have to rebind all the models I wish to fly using it anyway I guess.

There seemed to be all sorts of problems with the EU firmware a couple of years ago which made stay with what I already had and worked perfectly. However, I know that those problems (if indeed they existed) have been resolved.

Geoff

John Privett20/03/2018 21:28:39
5700 forum posts
219 photos

My X10 is now on its way to me from T9. Ordered at lunchtime, picked up by DHL at 4:30 and hopefully I should have it tomorrow. thumbs up

I'll put OpenTX on it, flash my rx's to LBT and start loading models on to it.

Devcon120/03/2018 22:56:31
1235 forum posts
368 photos

Had mine a few days.

OpenTx installed, pretty straightforward.

Model files converted to the new file type, a couple of things to check that I found..

I had to reassign the left and right sliders in special functions to work the same way as on my X9D+.

I had to change the setting of the 6P switch to get it working right.

Swapping model files is easier, no need to do the 3 finger salute as before just plug in the data cable with the TX switched on.

Got my head around widget settings which now work a treat.

Geoff Sleath20/03/2018 23:36:39
2664 forum posts
199 photos
Posted by John Privett on 20/03/2018 21:28:39:

My X10 is now on its way to me from T9. Ordered at lunchtime, picked up by DHL at 4:30 and hopefully I should have it tomorrow. thumbs up

I'll put OpenTX on it, flash my rx's to LBT and start loading models on to it.

I noticed there was one fewer X10 in stock at T9 when I looked earlier today. They have a lot more X10S's but really it seems a lot extra to pay for gimbals that my fat fingers will never be able to appreciate. The Hall effect ones I've fitted to my X9D and the ones on my X10 do seem to very good, though, in both feel and consistency but probably don't affect my flying ability to any noticeable extent.

I assume the EU-LBT firmware will not restrict my use of D and V8-II receivers when I install OpenTX. I hope not as I use the 4 channel V8-II receivers a lot in simple models and I have a couple of D type receivers I use with my X9D.

John, did you include the R9M module or did you persuade them to swap it for (say) a receiver, as I did?

Geoff

Geoff Sleath20/03/2018 23:46:58
2664 forum posts
199 photos

sorry wrong post

Edited By Geoff Sleath on 20/03/2018 23:48:07

Geoff Sleath20/03/2018 23:51:35
2664 forum posts
199 photos
Posted by Andy48 on 17/03/2018 10:47:07:

Agreed. I have found some of the videos of really terrible quality, and many OpenTX videos are often well out of date.

I can assure you that the docs I referred to above were written by a fixed wing flyer (of dubious ability I might add crying).

If you mean these documents then I congratulate you. They're really easy to read even though they take a lot of studying to understand properly ,but then, anything substantial does. It's very helpful.

Geoff

Chris Bott - Moderator21/03/2018 08:01:30
6293 forum posts
1280 photos
1 articles
Geoff a very minor point before installing opentx, if you want D8 available.
Uncheck the EU box in Companion before downloading the software. (Rather than only before installing).
Andy4821/03/2018 13:26:26
1333 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 20/03/2018 23:51:35:
Posted by Andy48 on 17/03/2018 10:47:07:

If you mean these documents then I congratulate you. They're really easy to read even though they take a lot of studying to understand properly ,but then, anything substantial does. It's very helpful.

Geoff

Yup. Those are the ones. They will have to be updated later in the year when OpenTX 2.2.2 is released. This has a few major improvements such as a Bootloader (yipee!) and a few other goodies. But while the devs are distracted by another transmitter to add to the range, progress on 2.2.2 has been very slow.

Andy4821/03/2018 13:30:44
1333 forum posts
1 photos

BTW, on a range check the X10 seems somewhat better than the X12 with the internal aerial. Checking the actual flight logs (on the same plane) it would appear considerably better. Anyone want to buy a used 12S?

Edited By Andy48 on 21/03/2018 13:31:04

Geoff Sleath21/03/2018 13:56:57
2664 forum posts
199 photos

Andy, is that with the X10 using the internal aerials and the X12s with internal aerials? From what reports I've read it seems the X10 performs well with the external aerial removed and I inclined to fly with just the internal ones if only to keep potentially vulnerable components (ie the external aerial) in the box rather than on the transmitter

I'm just about to embark on the scary procedure of installing OpenTX. Wish me luck. I'm intending to follow these instructions.

Geoff

Andy4821/03/2018 15:48:20
1333 forum posts
1 photos

Yes X10 with internal, and X12 with internal. On the X12S you can have both internal and external on together, on the X10 you can have either the two internal or single external but not both on together. (OpenTX indicates otherwise at the moment, this is incorrect.)

Can't make your link work, but the instructions for installing OpenTX are in my documentation. It is essentially the same as the one I think you are linking to. It depends whether you like videos or prefer written instructions.

Bob Cotsford21/03/2018 15:53:08
7269 forum posts
415 photos

I have only had one range issue with the X12 - or at least one problem model. That is an electric powered Flair SE5a fitted with an X6R receiver which routinely gives low signal warnings over the far right corner of the field. I'm not using an external aerial on the transmitter, just the single internal one. It's only warning of low rssi, which warning I understand to come a long way before loss of signal.

I've been using my X12 with a shoulder X-harness and the bars that T9 supplied, very comfortable and I don't notice the weight or the bulk of the transmitter.

Still, the thought of a new toy is very tempting...

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 21/03/2018 15:53:49

Geoff Sleath21/03/2018 16:41:20
2664 forum posts
199 photos

OK done it! I just wish I had a bigger vdu because I had so many windows open whilst performing the task Don't know why the link didn't work but it's a Frsky pdf document that was pointed to by the guy (Joshua Bardwell) who goes through the procedure step by step.

At least I didn't wreck anything!

Geoff

John Privett21/03/2018 20:39:29
5700 forum posts
219 photos

Geoff - yes the reduction by 1 in available stock was indeed me! My X10 is sitting in front of me now whilst I prepare to load OpenTx. I too noticed they had a lot of the 's' model in stock, but the difference in price seemed a bit much for better gimbals, no matter how good they are. I rang them and talked about the R9M module but they didn't seem keen on any sort of deal.

John Privett21/03/2018 22:44:24
5700 forum posts
219 photos

Right then - that's the Horus flashed to OpenTX.

Should I have flashed my older XnR receivers to LBT with FrOS before doing that? The instructions mention flashing rxs from the Horus with FrOS, but not with OpenTX.

Geoff Sleath21/03/2018 22:53:46
2664 forum posts
199 photos

You can use your X9D for that, John. You need to make up a lead I can't remember which leads need to be reversed but there'll be instructions somewhere on the 'net.

I've flashed a lot of X receivers in the other direction and I'll be reversing those changes myself soon.

The thing I don't like right now is the limited number of images and the limited vocabulary. I guess the images won't read across but the vocabulary might. I need to look into that.

Geoff

John Privett21/03/2018 23:06:26
5700 forum posts
219 photos

I have seen the instructions recently somewhere for doing it with the Taranis - it's something I did, in both directions, a couple of years ago so I have a lead somewhere! Just thought it might be easier if the Horus could do it.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues