Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

S6R & S8R Receivers

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Terry Foster03/08/2017 22:09:29
18 forum posts
4 photos

Are the S6R and the S8R receivers the same (programming wise) other than the S8R has the extra two Channels ?. I have just bought a S6R and an S8R, set up S8R on the transmitter (Taranis X9D+) and everything was working as expected ( I am only interested in stabilised and auto level modes), copied these setting to the transmitter for using the S6R and it only works as a standard receiver.

Obviously, as with everything taranis I am making a simple basic error somewhere, anybody got any ideas ?

Attilio Rausse03/08/2017 23:02:59
65 forum posts

Control programming is exactly the same, if you are using the config software with stk usb make sure the receiver is enabled.also make sure CH9 is > 0. Need more info really.

Andy4804/08/2017 13:35:08
1333 forum posts
1 photos

Did you set the stabilisation system up using either the special computer program or the LUA script on your transmitter.

Terry Foster04/08/2017 16:08:25
18 forum posts
4 photos

I set them up using the STK computer adaptor, Set both receivers up a second time and rebound etc. and now all appears to be working correctly. Am I correct in thinking that in auto level mode , when the aircraft is (for example) tipped to on side as in roll, the ailerons deflect and hold that deflection until the wing is back to level, but when in stabilised mode the servo's just deflect momentarily?

Mike Blandford04/08/2017 16:15:58
358 forum posts
14 photos

Almost, the amount of aileron deflection, in auto level mode, depends on the amount of roll you have.

Mike.

Terry Foster04/08/2017 16:20:31
18 forum posts
4 photos

Thank you Mike, just awaiting reasonable weather for a test flight now

stu knowles05/03/2018 20:00:13
484 forum posts
37 photos

If you have happened across this thread because you are struggling to get your S6/8R receiver to work properly, I have spent a couple of days reviewing all of the info, manuals etc and seem to have finally got them sorted.

Until FrSky change the systems again, I feel that I know the in's and out's of these and how to set them up. If you are having problems with yours, shout up, I might be able to help.

regards,

stu k

Devcon105/03/2018 21:05:51
1196 forum posts
368 photos

If it helps here's my experience..

The most recent S6R/S8R firmware seems to make the selection of stabilisation modes much simpler by setting channels to only activate self level and stabilisation mode and ingnoring the prop hang and knife edge mode. I set self level on the momentary switch.

After bench calibrating I made the mistake of thinking I had to recalibrate using the 3 or 4 pulls on the momentary switch (can't remember exactly how many) before every flight. This gave all sorts of odd behaviour until I read somewhere that this only needs doing once followed by raising the throttle to about 1/3 position and back to 0, this has now given faultless performance and I'm very happy with it.

The second instalment of Painless 360s YouTube tutorial was excellent, unless I missed it I don't recall the throttle blip was mentioned in any FrSky documentation.

Mike Blandford05/03/2018 22:39:29
358 forum posts
14 photos

Recent firmware has "Quick Mode" (the default) that does what you describe. You may, however, turn "Quick Mode" off, when the software beahves as before with "Hover" and "Knife Edge" available.

After running the "Self Check" (blue LED on) and calibrating the servo throws, moving the throttle has NO effect. The Rx will continue to look for any increase in the maximum servo movement allowed until you power the Rx off.

The current manual is quite good, I got FrSky (when then asked me for comments on the manual) to include quite a lot of details and warnings (e.g. don't have rates active when calibrating servo throws) in it.

Mike

stu knowles06/03/2018 08:02:52
484 forum posts
37 photos

Just to recap on the issues that I've had to wade through. the computer programme used to set up the RX doesn't work on my laptop / win10, I don't see the check boxes at the bottom of the screen. This has been raised in a thread on this forum but I don't think anyone found a solution beyond keep trying different computers until you find one that works.

The STK device and Bluetooth app is very clunky and hard to use. The app hasn't kept pace with the software upgrades and can't cope with the Quick Mode.

The LUA script works well and is (IMHO) far and away the best method of setting up these receivers. On loading up the latest firmware, the RX defaults to Quick Mode. QM is the simplified version with gyro stabilisation and Self Level mode, Knife Edge and Hover are inhibited.

On mine, the check box was checked to suggest QM was enabled but the software was not working in that mode. By unchecking, power cycling, rechecking the box and so one, QM can be activated and confirmation will be given by the blue LED flashing for three secs on powering up the RX.

One can then proceed to installing the RX and following the Self Calibration, which is described above.

It may not sound much but it took quite a few hours and much researching to clear the fog. Once you know how its supposed to work, its much easier to identify what's wrong but until recently, the FrSky manual was very poor and the set up pretty complicated.

Mike, Do you know what the differences are between the Panic mode on channel 12 and Self Level? There is scant mention even in the new manual. I struggle to see the relevance of this feature.

regards

Stu K

Mike Blandford06/03/2018 10:57:08
358 forum posts
14 photos

As I understand it, Panic Mode is self-level.

I've written an alternative program for the PC and STK called "SportSet", I've posted it here: **LINK**

I'm trying to remember/find the fix for the missing boxes on the FrSky config program. It's a setting somewhere!

Mike

stu knowles06/03/2018 11:39:08
484 forum posts
37 photos

That was my conclusion but I can't think of any good reason for it being there. Most users will inhibit Ch12 after running the Self Calibration process to ensure that it can't be accidentally initiated when airborne. Even if you didn't do that, what's the point of it when Self Level is there to be used anyway? It gives me he feeling that the Software Writer Geek did not listen to practical Users.

Does your Sportset programme work for all Transmitters? Horus X12 for example? I came across it in my research but rightly or wrongly didn't investigate further thinking that staying with the 'official' FrSky stuff would be a better option. Probably wrong but at the time I didn't want to open another can or worms.

I have come across several references to the missing 'bottom boxes' but as yet, not seen anyone offer a solution. As you say though, it will be something trivial, it just needs finding!

Thanks for the contribution its much appreciated.

regards,

stu k

Mike Blandford06/03/2018 12:46:13
358 forum posts
14 photos

I agree, I can't see why "Panic Mode" is needed!

Since the SportSet program runs on the PC, it works for all transmitters!

Regarding the missing boxes, where is your TaskBar? Someone with this problem had their TaskBar at the top, moving it to the bottom fised the problem! I just checked V1.8.1 of SXRConfig (version shows in the window heading), and this works correctly even with the TaskBar at the top.

Mike

stu knowles06/03/2018 20:47:39
484 forum posts
37 photos

Hello Mike, I've downloaded the Sportset , after extracting the programme and attempting to run the programme I get a box with the following ' The code execution cannot proceed because the QtCore4.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem' Does that man anything to you?

Just when I thought that the S8R could throw anything more at me, when I've put it back into the test model tonight the channel 5 aileron servo wouldn't move. I have checked on the TX monitor that channel 5 is active, the servo is fine and re run the LUA and checked and unchecked the Channel 5 and 6 boxes. No immediate results.

A bit short on time but cross checking with the other RX shows that its the same. I'm pretty sure that it was all working before QM was activated but I need to double check everything when I have more time to make sure that its not dumb thumbs somewhere.

regards

stu k

Mike Blandford06/03/2018 23:07:47
358 forum posts
14 photos

Yes, as it says under "SportSet(9).zip":
"Only the .exe in this .zip, install from SportSet.zip first, then copy this .exe to the same directory".
This will install the required .dll files. I do this as the full install is 5Mb, but the .exe is only 143kb.

Usually that is caused by the self-check having been run when channel 5 wasn't being driven, so the Rx has "remembered" zero movement. Try running the self-check again, and re-calibrating the servo limits.

Mike

stu knowles07/03/2018 08:55:03
484 forum posts
37 photos

Thanks Mike, I'll try both

stu knowles08/03/2018 13:51:39
484 forum posts
37 photos

Hello Mike,

You were spot on regarding the channel 5/6 option does not activate until the self calibration check has been completed.

I have successfully downloaded and run Sportset but have not tried it with an RX yet. Many thanks for the good advice.

regards,

stu k

stu knowles11/03/2018 11:27:29
484 forum posts
37 photos

Just to update off this topic for those who may come later, I had several flights with the S8R yesterday. It was pretty calm so not really a test for the gyro stabilised mode but it appeared to work well and the pilot would not know that it was running. Loops and rolls were just the same as with the stabiliser off. It will be interesting to try again on a windy day when the stabiliser has more work to do.

Auto Level was more of a mixed bag. To fly with AL is very different as the model snaps level the moment the stick are released. At full throttle Glow 45 powered model, I could call it an auto crash mode as the model would frequently attempt to enter a violent roll or dive. I was about to give up on this when I tried again at a much lower throttle setting and all worked well. So vibration may be sufficient to 'topple' the RX. Rain stopped play at this point.

In the next session I will have a prop which is a near perfect balance as possible and intend to set the gain settings in Auto Level much lower.

Chris Bott - Moderator11/03/2018 13:15:27
6274 forum posts
1280 photos
1 articles
Stu I found that the autolevel mode worked better with much lower gain settings than the stabiliser mode.
Mike Blandford11/03/2018 16:56:54
358 forum posts
14 photos

I find flying with auot-level on very odd since it tends to fight any control input you apply. For example, normally, when you apply aileron to bank the model, when you reach the required bank angle you centralise the aileron (you don't want to roll!). As the model turns, with the 'outside' wing moving faster than the 'inside' wing, the model may try to increase the bank angle, so you end up applying a small amount of 'opposite' aileron to hold the bank angle.

With auto-level, you have to hold the aileron on to hold the bank angle.

Up until now I've set auto-level on a switch so it only acts for 1.5 seconds, long enough to get the model level, but then revert to stabilise mode.

Next time I fly, I've set auto-level up so it only operates as long as the aileron and elevator are both centered. As sonn as any control input is applied, auto-level switches off.

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Gliders Distribution
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues