Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Uniflow fuel tank configuration

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ron Gray06/08/2017 12:56:57
1406 forum posts
358 photos

Having spent the last couple of years flying leccy and gas powered 'planes I have decided to try my hand at glow power (going back to my roots of some 40 years ago).

I've recently read about the uniflow setup for fuel tanks and was wondering what the consensus was about this amongst the learned brethren?

Nigel R07/08/2017 09:14:57
2718 forum posts
445 photos

About a gazillion glow powered models have flow with complete success on a standard clunk tank.

I've never used one in anger.

However, a uniflow isn't exactly difficult to set up, you just need a second clunk weight.

Denis Watkins07/08/2017 09:24:53
3586 forum posts
166 photos

Ron, like Nigel says, there is absolutely no need for the uniflow set up unless you have some unique installation, like a heli, and even then, a standard tank does the job

Just keep it simple, sealed, and near correct height, and be aware the clunk can rotate from its position at the bottom of the tank, and it is not wedged against the rear tank wall

Don Fry07/08/2017 09:29:57
3436 forum posts
40 photos

Some of the helecopter users, and aerobatic users are fans, for different reasons. But for regular folk, KISS principle applies, put the tank where it should be.

Ron Gray07/08/2017 10:47:45
1406 forum posts
358 photos

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll probably setup a 3 pipe tank then if I want to try the uniflow later I can do. I must admit that I can see the advantage of removing the mass of the fuel from the pressure equation plus the reduction in risk of fuel siphoning but, as you guys have pointed out, a correctly positioned tank should suffice.

Mr.B.07/08/2017 11:51:34
412 forum posts
26 photos

I experimented by converting my FS powered Wots wot from normal 3 line set up to uni flow.......it didn't make any difference.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Motion RC
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us