By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

LiPO Fire extinguisher help needed

recommendations needed for Class 'D' workshop extinguisher ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Dave Hopkin11/08/2017 19:18:28
3672 forum posts
294 photos

When I first read this thread, I send a email to Manchester Fire and Rescue asking them what the bet extinguisher type was, their reply.................... "Consult the Manufacturer"!!!!!!!!!!

Don Fry11/08/2017 19:35:46
3909 forum posts
42 photos

To the bloke above, who recommends co2extinguishers on a petrol fire, I take it you have never seen the flamethrower effect you get when the gas stream lifts burning petrol into the middle distance.

On a personal note, the point made above that fire extinguishers don't last long, is a fact. Over my life I have tried to put out perhaps a dozen car engine fires, and failed every time, powder extinguishers. When I sailed yachts, every exit from the boat had an extinguisher. It was there, not to put a fire out, but to suppress the fire long enough to get the crew out. Then the boat burned. You were either chucking water from outside, or you were overboard.

Never fight a fire without first getting your exit route sorted. I have seen people who didn't. Don't get to look like that.

Allan Bennett12/08/2017 04:54:38
1540 forum posts
39 photos
My approach is to store my LiPos in a compartmentalised plasterboard box (about 30 minutes fire resistance) and to have an extinguisher that's capable of dealing only with any fire that spreads to surrounding surfaces. I have a smoke alarm immediately above the storage box.

Edited By Allan Bennett on 12/08/2017 04:56:04

Chris Walby12/08/2017 07:07:32
980 forum posts
230 photos

I think Allan B has the most valid point of fire detection along with others that have mentioned exit route.

The key is detection, if you right in front of it then plan your exit route, call 999 and then try a deal with it, if you are not at the scene of the incident then you will want to know ASAP so can get out and call 999.

I really don't like the idea of a powder type due to the mess, but for its flexibility and good fire knockdown I think it would the choice for me (if I didn't still have by BFC ones!), in the end its better to have a powder mess than sifting through the burnt remains of your shed/house.

MaL12/08/2017 15:33:32
140 forum posts
13 photos
Posted by Gary Manuel on 11/08/2017 18:41:58:

THIS company sell fire extinguishers for Lithium batteries.

Edit - Bargain at £226 surprise

Edited By Gary Manuel on 11/08/2017 18:55:34

Plus the recommended training before being let loose with one......frown

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us