Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

I've just acquired

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Flyer11/08/2017 22:05:05
503 forum posts
71 photos

.......a vacuum molding machine. The very samne one that produced my A4 canopy. Now all I need to do is learn how to use it !!!

Canopy for a Tonka and a Buccaneer coming soon.....

wink 2

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator11/08/2017 22:07:18
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Oh, nice toy! smile

BEB

Flyer13/08/2017 22:08:24
503 forum posts
71 photos

vac 2.jpgvac 1.jpg

Handyman13/08/2017 22:13:36
198 forum posts
1 photos

Oooooh think about your leccy bill. Still, you can always take lots of orders for canopies and cowlings,(make your own plugs) and offset your leccy bill that way,hee,hee,hee!!

Flyer13/08/2017 22:17:22
503 forum posts
71 photos
Posted by Handyman on 13/08/2017 22:13:36:

Oooooh think about your leccy bill. Still, you can always take lots of orders for canopies and cowlings,(make your own plugs) and offset your leccy bill that way,hee,hee,hee!!

lol I know i 'may' become more popular at my club now. Should not be too bad on leccy though, as most canopy's should be ready in less than 2 mins.

Will cross fingers. But now I have no excuse not to make the Buccaneer canopy plug......

Denis Watkins14/08/2017 08:06:21
3498 forum posts
165 photos

Brilliant Mr F, but Don't Store Fuel under there, as it gets very hot, it will expand the fuel, and it could explode.

You can get vacuum forming plastic in varying thicknesses and colours, dependent of the depth of the former.

You should have a set of masks that grip the plastic below the heater, so as large sheets can be cut down by halves and quarters to form smaller parts

The depth of the former is taken into consideration for how long the plastic is heated up

And a large form can be made up to a depth of about 4inches

Flyer14/08/2017 15:39:07
503 forum posts
71 photos
Posted by Denis Watkins on 14/08/2017 08:06:21:

Brilliant Mr F, but Don't Store Fuel under there, as it gets very hot, it will expand the fuel, and it could explode.

You can get vacuum forming plastic in varying thicknesses and colours, dependent of the depth of the former.

You should have a set of masks that grip the plastic below the heater, so as large sheets can be cut down by halves and quarters to form smaller parts

The depth of the former is taken into consideration for how long the plastic is heated up

And a large form can be made up to a depth of about 4inches

Well spotted Denis, although the fuel is not stored there but a valid point nonetheless; I need to make space in my shed now to allow it to be easily accessible. I've also discovered that the company that made it are still trading, and I should be able to get an instruction manual etc for it. They provide an adaptor that will allow the use of smaller sheets. Although the A4 canopy used most of it, and it will satisfactorily do a depth of plug up to 14cm.

Just need to make myself a few plugs now. There is also a timer that helps when warming the plastic, and has a handy table on the front noting the different times per thickness.

Martin Dance 114/08/2017 17:17:18
179 forum posts
33 photos

I guess the machine you have is ex school or college. If it is I would check the condition of the seals. There are two, a thicker slightly softer one that fits around the edge of the table and another that is quite obvious on the top of the machine on which the plastic is placed and the frame brought down and locked onto it. Unfortunately people often leave the table up and the frame locked down which shortens the life of the seals. Poor seals = poor vac forming. Good seals = excellent vac forming. I think this machine also had an air filter inside the cabinet, rarely changed but a poor vacuum points toward a blocked filter.

BTW K&M supplies who are an educational supplier sell plastic sheet already cut to size for the machine. They are Halfway near Sheffield.

good formingsmiley

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Revoc
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2018
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us