By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

My Spektrum DX9 transmitter has stopped working.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geof5405/09/2017 13:07:21
45 forum posts

Today we made contact with Horizon Hobbies Germany !

A friend had sent his DX9 for repair in August, recorded and insured. He received a confirmation of delivery on 3rd August from Post Office but since then nothing from Germany.

He knew we spend a lot of time in Germany and that my wife speaks fluent German so asked her to help.. He had rung himself , sent e-mails etc but no response. We have family in Germany so have an inexpensive option for phone calls to Germany for up to one hour at a time.

Anyway with all the details the first two calls hit the recorded message and hold etc. A quick call to our daughter in Germany confirmed this was still happening when she rang. So on attempt 3 I said to leave the phone on and we can listen to the music. A few minutes later a live voice. My wife explained everything (in German) and was given a reply of it has arrived but is still not repaired. Arrived 3rd of August BUT we did not open the package until the 30th August !

Ring back tomorrow and we will give you and update. Fingers crossed. .

Geof

ChrisB05/09/2017 13:36:43
1220 forum posts
34 photos
Horizon Hobby need to get their act together! They are in danger of going into receivership if they are not careful. After many weeks I got a response from the CEO of HH Europe. He said that they are aware of issues with their service turnaround and are working to resolve it. It doesn't seem as though they are working very hard.
Rob Ashley05/09/2017 14:01:31
248 forum posts
84 photos

Hi,

A bit late I know (and I note Piers Bowlam has mentioned this already - sorry Piers) but definitely worth trying Mike Ridley at

http://modelradioworkshop.co.uk/contact-details/

He is very helpful, fast turnaround and also sells lots of other useful stuff.

Rob

Geof5407/09/2017 17:50:25
45 forum posts

Hello,

Unfortunately we were unable to call Germany HH before they stopped work. I forgot the time difference and we rang at 2.30 pm to be told by reception that service had closed.

Anyway my wife tried this morning and after a few minutes of music got through to the service department.

She was told that my friend's DX9 has been forwarded to America to be repaired. They only have 3 technicians and it is quicker and cheaper for them to do this. It should return to Germany on Friday 15th and hopefully arrive back in England between 18th - 22nd September.

Geof

All conversations on the phone are in German - I am sure it helped..

rcaddict07/09/2017 18:40:05
519 forum posts
2 photos

surely then we should be sending to the USA for warranty repairs etc

Former Member07/09/2017 19:25:51

[This posting has been removed]

David Davis07/09/2017 20:53:09
3466 forum posts
622 photos

Looks like somebody couldn't organise a party in a brewery to me! wink.

but I'll admit I'm biased!

David Ovenden07/09/2017 21:21:05
335 forum posts
17 photos

It certainly seems an illogical business decision to close the UK service centre then send items to the USA via Germany so they can be sent back to the UK again. Must be very expensive in terms of shipping costs and very counter- productive in terms of customer satisfaction.

I can't see this helping their sales either as word spreads concerning the very confused and slow service situation.

cymaz07/09/2017 22:04:57
8814 forum posts
1195 photos

Sounds like a complete shambles. Is it an hour difference to Germany?? What the hell are they stopping at 3:30 for??

ChrisB07/09/2017 23:55:11
1220 forum posts
34 photos

Its an absolute disgrace and HH deserve everything they get. Merging 2 service centres and only employing 3 technicians to cover all of Europe and even then the stuff goes to America, its a complete and utter mess. Most of the jobs are likely to come from outside Germany, as many German flyers use Multiplex.

Horizon Hobby management need to be replaced and proper management need to be running the show. I won't be recommending HH to anyone from now on. Don't get me wrong, its good equipment, but with a shambles of after sales service why bother.

Former Member08/09/2017 12:04:58

[This posting has been removed]

ted hughes08/09/2017 12:18:55
466 forum posts

If Spektrum goes, it will take 90% of radio problems with it.RIP.

Trevor Crook08/09/2017 13:57:48
874 forum posts
65 photos

Where did that carefully researched figure come from?

ted hughes08/09/2017 14:20:02
466 forum posts
Posted by Trevor Crook on 08/09/2017 13:57:48:

This forum, very recently.

There was a poll to which almost 1000 members responded (which is statistically very significant), which showed just under 30% of UK RC flyers use Spektrum.

Almost 100% of radio problems involve Spektrum (there are whole threads dedicated to Spectrum problems on here and RCG,and no threads dedicated to Futaba,JR,Frsky, Hitec, multiplexetc. or any other makes).

It is not rocket science.

I understand why, Spektrum is very well marketed with BNF and Txs costing less than £100, it's the old mantra, buy cheap, buy twice.

Edited By ted hughes on 08/09/2017 14:26:08

Edited By ted hughes on 08/09/2017 14:28:02

ted hughes08/09/2017 14:29:42
466 forum posts

When did we ever see a thread saying "my Futaba radio is problematic"? Maybe once in a blue moon.

Edited By ted hughes on 08/09/2017 14:30:14

MattyB08/09/2017 15:52:36
1975 forum posts
30 photos
Posted by Ikura on 08/09/2017 12:04:58:

Horizon are clearly in trouble. There was a thread on BARCS about the Horizon/Staufenbiel EU business going bust and if that's the case then perhaps Horizon are not telling it how it really is.

It could be the Horizon have decided to move everything back to the USA where they have a very loyal customer base and offer a level of service that they clearly can't offer in Europe. The majority of Germans don't like Spektrum so why on earth Horizon decided to make a base there is anyone's guess. It seems to be a daft move.

It is a heck of a pity because they have been the market leaders for a long time and many thousands of people have bought into the Spektrum system.

Hopefully there will be some answers forthcoming at some point but I wouldn't count on it any time soon.

Here is that thread for anyone interested in reading it. Much of it (as here wink) is theory and supposition, but there do appear to be a couple of individuals who have talked to HH directly and got the inside track. If the EU operation has gone bust it is going to be a huge disappointment for those who have Spektrum gear and (to a lesser extent) those with a stock of HH models.

PS - I have also asked for clarification on their trading status on FB , PM'd Andy Kunz (Spek developer very active on RCGroups) and started a thread over there to see if anyone in the US operation is prepared to share any insights. If this is true though I expect they will remain silent for now.

Edited By MattyB on 08/09/2017 15:53:17

MattyB08/09/2017 15:57:17
1975 forum posts
30 photos
Posted by ted hughes on 08/09/2017 14:20:02:
Posted by Trevor Crook on 08/09/2017 13:57:48:

This forum, very recently.

There was a poll to which almost 1000 members responded (which is statistically very significant), which showed just under 30% of UK RC flyers use Spektrum.

Almost 100% of radio problems involve Spektrum (there are whole threads dedicated to Spectrum problems on here and RCG,and no threads dedicated to Futaba,JR,Frsky, Hitec, multiplexetc. or any other makes).

It is not rocket science.

Please provide actual evidence, not meaningless bluster, to support this assertion. And no, I am not a Spektrum user.

Steve J08/09/2017 16:23:08
1631 forum posts
49 photos

Posted by ted hughes on 08/09/2017 14:20:02:

which is statistically very significant

No it isn't. People who respond to polls on this forum are a self selecting subset of the subset of model flyers who use this forum.

Anyway, IMHO, the vast majority of "radio problems" are nothing to do with the radio, so it's difficult to see how the loss of Spektrum would have a noticeable effect on the total number of "radio problems".

Steve

Mike Healy08/09/2017 16:25:00
29 forum posts
4 photos

You can probably all stop panicking, so I understand - things are in hand that a highly respected BRITISH retailer will soon be appointed sole Horizon service and repair agent. From the horses mouth by the way. And his missus.

David Davis08/09/2017 16:28:18
3466 forum posts
622 photos
Posted by Mike Healy on 08/09/2017 16:25:00:

You can probably all stop panicking, so I understand - things are in hand that a highly respected BRITISH retailer will soon be appointed sole Horizon service and repair agent. From the horses mouth by the way. And his missus.

I hope that Staufenbiel/Horizon Hobbies haven't lost my transmitter!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us