Forum sponsored by CML

Binding problems

- no response from servos

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tony Harrison 215/08/2017 21:16:19
233 forum posts
3 photos

I'm trying to bind a new plane: simple high-wing trainer, rudder-elevator-ESC. Tx is a Spektrum Dx6i, Rx is AR400, ESC is Skywalker 40A, rudder & elevator servos are Hi-Tec HS-311.

I've bound a couple of other planes using the same transmitter and one of those had near identical electrics, the other being a Radian Pro foamy; I didn't have much trouble binding them. With this latest plane, I followed the instructions in my Spektrum handbook and in the leaflet that came with the Rx: first time, I got the throttle working fine, but the servos just moved slightly - then nothing further. They don't do anything. I tried re-binding, and this time I can't even get anything from the throttle... I thought this was supposed to be simple & straightforward!

What might I try? All suggestions welcome.

Denis Watkins15/08/2017 21:28:46
3808 forum posts
52 photos

It is difficult not to get so close while binding Tony, but hold the Tx away as far as you can

Tx is off

Rx has fresh battery connected, put the bind plug in bind

And the power lead immediately next to this

The orange RX led starts flashing.

Hold the DX 6i trainer switch and switch on Tx to bind screen away from the RX

Bingo

Simon Chaddock15/08/2017 23:07:38
5416 forum posts
2831 photos

Tony

I fear your problems are not exclusively binding. If you got the throttle working then it did bind, The fact that the servos didn't work is due to something else.

Suggest you disconnect all the servos and just bind using the ESC (I assume you are using its BEC) on the grounds the less that is connected the less can cause a problem.

If it binds the it is bound and should never need doing again with that model number on the DX6i

Just a point. Is the AR400 DSM2? In which case it will not work with a later DX6i which is DSMX only. The earlier ones (like I have! wink 2) could do both.

Allan Bennett16/08/2017 04:47:01
1534 forum posts
39 photos

Are the other servos plugged in the right way round? All ground and signal leads should be facing the same way.

cymaz16/08/2017 06:24:14
8583 forum posts
1161 photos

( not a spektrum user myself)

Was there an old model in the memory when you bound the new plane into the Tx? That might account for the lack of surface movement. You could wipe that model number of all old data and start afresh.

Chris Walby16/08/2017 07:04:16
954 forum posts
228 photos

I have been caught a couple of times by different ESCs which appears to be a RX binding fault. the ESC needs a lower than standard throttle low position to complete its setup sequence.

I have needed to set the throttle trim right down and then the ESC completes it sync, interestingly this can affect the fail safe on the motor cut, so trim throttle to low and re-bind.

PS when bind n fly works its great, when it doesn't its just a case of sequentially working through the bind/set up process in a logical step wise way (as described by other above). Hope that helps

Tony Harrison 216/08/2017 22:58:49
233 forum posts
3 photos

Gentlemen, thanks for your helpful contributions. I took the plane & Tx round to Stan Yeo at Phoenix Products and as usual he was very helpful: he connected his own battery, went through the same procedure as I had (as far as I could see), and binding succeeded with throttle + servos working as needed. It beats me...

rgds Tony

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us