Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Stripped plug thread

how do you fix it?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
shades09/08/2008 16:15:00
66 forum posts

Garry, does it make me rude because I've taken more than one day to respond to a forum post. For goodness sake! My entire life does not revolve around forum posts, I do have a life aswell. Besides I've been involved with another thread. I have already thanked everyone for their help earlier in the thread. In fact I was blown away by the response.

Thank you Chris for your suggestion, but with respect for Dave, I would rather take help when it was offered directly, rather than through a third party. (Sorry! now this sentence does sound rude. It's not supposed to be. I hope you understand what I mean).

Shades.

david vine09/08/2008 17:26:00
6 forum posts

Hi Shades

If you havent got it sorted yet, please send it to me and I will willingly fix it for you .My pleasure.

Happy tp help. Regards Dave

shades09/08/2008 18:04:00
66 forum posts

That is very kind of you Dave, and I am gratefull. I have already attempted a fix which was successful.......upto a point. Right up to the point when full heat expansion took place and fumes started blowing out of plug hole thread. My problem I think was using the taps and dies which I had to hand which have a thread which is too corse for the job. Possibly now it would be more difficult to fix with the right machine as the hole would have to be even bigger than the 10mm it is now.

However, I now have found a supply of new heads. The cost of which is only a tenner. Whilst the satisfaction of repairing it myself would far exceed a tenner, I couldn't possibly allow myself to put the onnus on someone else just to save me a tenner.

Many thanks Dave, I'll let you know if it all goes pair shaped. (Or "out of round")

Shades

Myron Beaumont10/08/2008 11:56:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos

Nobody has commented on my suggestion yonks ago about Devcon ( the military type ) Its not a bodge job .I'm not into that . You can drill and tap it . Surely someone out there knows what I'm talking about To re-iterate -It's used for fixing cracks etc in cylinder walls etc & it works I can assure you sceptics

Simon Chaddock10/08/2008 23:26:00
5415 forum posts
2828 photos

Myron

Yes, Devcon aluminium filled epoxy is great stuff (the 5cc carburettor parts are glued together with similar) BUT it has limited tensile strength and temperature resistance (both are much lower than any aluminium alloy) so using it in a cylinder head stripped plug thread situation might be asking too much. 

shades11/08/2008 21:36:00
66 forum posts

Myron, as this was originally my thread, it is only fair to comment. Your suggestion didn't go unnoticed. Firstly where would you get it from. Secondly I was trying some other methods. I did experiment with another "liquid metal" type substance, which I had to hand, but it's tensile strength couldn't hold the threads together. Of course genuine "Devcon" may be superior, but the laws of physics says to me that no bonding material could be strong enough to support new threads in such a tiny hole. Maybe it could possibly work if bored out and then refilled and re-tapped. I would like to get hold of some though for future use else where. I am often messing about with car/machine engines and simple engineering.

Cheers shades.

Myron Beaumont12/08/2008 05:17:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos

May I suggest getting to know a sailor     Possible opening line ===" Hello Sailor" 

shades12/08/2008 20:18:00
66 forum posts

Urrrm!

I think I'd rather buy a new engine!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us