Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Glyn4407/09/2017 11:19:21
700 forum posts
92 photos

Hi All,

I would like to try a two colour finish on fuselage (white and yellow) R

The join to be horizontal along the length, similar to this photo:

img_0383.jpg

I would like your advice on how to best achieve a successful join. I can see that a trim line has been added afterwards. I'm wondering if I just shrink on the two pieces,, the darker colour overlapping the lighter, then cut through the pair with my knife and a rule, hopefully not cutting the balsa underneath too much, peel away the excess, iron down and the trim the join.

Somehow I suspect there is a trick or two to make this easier, and with a greater chance of success. I would be very greatful if you would post any that you use yourselves.

Regards, Glyn.

Geoff Sleath07/09/2017 12:41:07
3355 forum posts
272 photos

When I use 2 colours I just overlap the second on top of the first. Cutting through the 2 layers (particularly on a built-up wing) is not a good idea IMO. I do use trim tape (usually black) which I think enhances the appearance as here on my Ballerina:

ballerina airfield 2.jpg

The wing is done without a balck trim line between the colours:

ballerina airfield 5.jpg

Geoff

Phil 907/09/2017 12:53:41
4282 forum posts
228 photos

It is easy ​to do on a fully sheeted structure. Just iron on one colour then the other. For open structure I have always added trim onto a single colour base. I know people have used two colours over an open structure but I think it I more difficult

Peter Miller07/09/2017 12:59:33
10165 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

I agree with Phil and Geoff.

Iron on the lighter colour and then add the darker one.

One dodge that I have used is this. Put on the lighter colour. Apply a strip of masking tape along the trim line, Apply the darker colour but don't iron it down on the masking tape.

Using a sharp scalpel cut the darker colour to the line you want. This protects the lower colour and wood.

Peel of the masking tape and iron down the dark colour using just enough heat to stick itx down or it willcreep.

Job done.

With care corves can be dopne the same way.

Oh Dear. My dinner has just burnt

Glyn4407/09/2017 14:05:23
700 forum posts
92 photos

Thanks Guys,

I'm in some doubt now, as you pointed out, open structure makes it problematical.

The img_0148.jpg

Not sure whether I can adhere the two films over the holes. Perhaps I'll try it, and see what happens. I'm sure other people have succeeded on this particular model ( SLEC funfly ) maybe I'll try and pm one who has, see how they did it.

Thanks all, Glyn.

Peter Miller07/09/2017 14:24:00
10165 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles

put the join line higher

Glyn4407/09/2017 14:31:43
700 forum posts
92 photos

Hi Peter,

Yes indeed looking at that idea, I'll probably go with it, thank you.

Oh, sorry to hear about your dinner, hopefully the chippy was still open!

RC Plane Flyer07/09/2017 14:38:42
637 forum posts
16 photos

Glyn44 how about putting a strip of 1/2" balsa across the openings flush with surface to give you a joint line ??

Glyn4407/09/2017 16:56:59
700 forum posts
92 photos

Yes, thought about that but thought I might create a storm of protest. People seem to go to great lengths to save a gram. I have never understood the reason for that, also weighing the finished plane. Is it really something I need to know? If so why?

Indeed I thought about adding a cross piece, but was unsure if this really would be detrimental in any way. I'm sure I'm just gonna move the seam upwards, above the cut outs.

Cheers for the suggestion though.

extra slim07/09/2017 16:59:47
448 forum posts
48 photos

My tip is when overlapping and trying to get the straightest line, I turn the iron right down whilst I follow the line closely (I find it loosely tacs it without much shrinkage and distortion, wavey edges) .. and then once down nice and straight, turn up the iron to go over it again... works for me..

onetenor07/09/2017 17:33:27
1900 forum posts

What is the best way to strip doped and fuel proofed nylon from a model wing and tail assy..Open structure .

Peter Miller07/09/2017 18:20:42
10165 forum posts
1192 photos
10 articles
Posted by Glyn44 on 07/09/2017 16:56:59:

Yes, thought about that but thought I might create a storm of protest. People seem to go to great lengths to save a gram. I have never understood the reason for that, also weighing the finished plane. Is it really something I need to know? If so why?

Indeed I thought about adding a cross piece, but was unsure if this really would be detrimental in any way. I'm sure I'm just gonna move the seam upwards, above the cut outs.

Cheers for the suggestion though.

I would not worry too much about minor weight addition.Balsa is a very variable material and using hard wood or medium can make a lot of difference so adding a couple of strips of 1/8" X1/2 will not make enough difference to worry about

RC Plane Flyer07/09/2017 18:52:17
637 forum posts
16 photos

How about creating holes in that expanse of planked area in picture to compensate for my strips

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us