All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martin Harris23/09/2017 22:08:09
8955 forum posts
221 photos
Posted by John Emms 1 on 23/09/2017 20:47:24:

FAQ copied from the DX6e page on horizonhobby.com:

Is DSM2™ and DSMX equipment compatible?

Yes. DSM2 transmitters are forward compatible with DSMX receivers and DSMX transmitters are backward compatible with DSM2 receivers. And because DSM2 and DSMX share the same wideband DSSS foundation, all Spektrum users will enjoy superior range, speed and precision whether they're using DSM2 equipment, DSMX equipment or a combination of both.

To me, that appears to say that any Spektrum Tx (DSM2 or DSMX) can be used with any Spektrum Rx (DSM2 or DSMX).

Curiouser and curiouser....

I'm no expert on Spektrum but might that only apply to non-EU equipment? That appears to be from the US site...

John Emms 124/09/2017 13:08:59
234 forum posts

Hi Martin, yes, that was from the US site. From the EU site:

Spektrum DX6 G2 6-Channel DSMX (Multimode) Item no.: 094SPMR6750EU, it says: Advanced DSMX® technology (DSM2® compatible). Bottom line, I don't know....

Feedback: I am very much with Denis on keeping things simple. The only issue was reversing the elevator on the Micro Aces Fokker. I love the light weight and simplicity of my DX5e for the small rudder elevator models that I am flying - the 4 x AAs last a whole season, and the DX5e shows the battery voltage. The conclusion for me was to cut the power system out of the Fokker to remove the existing Spektrum control board. I have just ordered the Micro Aces Spektrum compatible receiver with servos so that I can orientate the two servos to have the control sense that matches my existing models - result!

Thanks all, I now know quite a lot more about Spektrum.

Martin McIntosh24/09/2017 14:10:08
2971 forum posts
1090 photos

My Orange/JR module says DSM2/DSMX on it. Most of my stuff is DSM2 but it works with an Orange DSM2/DSMX Rx as well as dedicated DSM2 Rx`s. Can be fitted to a Taranis, JR Tx etc. I recently put a similar post on here asking how it knows what system to transmit on if both are multi protocol.

Mike Blandford24/09/2017 15:11:31
544 forum posts
22 photos

When binding, the receiver sends back the protocol(s) it can accept, together with the number of channels, and the refresh rate (11 or 22mS). The module then stores this information.

Depending on the protocol used between the module and the radio firmware, it may also be possible for the bind information to be stored in the radio, so the module doesn't need binding when you change to another model that requires a different configuration.

An Orange module flashed with the Multi protocol will do this, provided the radio is using a relatively recent revision of ersky9x or openTx.

Mike.

Trevor Crook24/09/2017 19:12:37
874 forum posts
65 photos

John, I am certain that the DSMX protocol will not operate a DSM2 receiver. The quotation you gave from the Horizon Hobby website is incorrect for the EU region. Outside the EU, Spektrum transmitters sold now can operate on either protocol, and during binding will adopt the one appropriate to the Rx being bound. For a while, this also applied to EU sets (my gen 1 DX8 being an example), but to comply with the applicable EU directive, Spektrum had to stop selling new transmitters using DSM2. It is perfectly legal to continue using DSM2 transmitters, they just can't be sold new now. I guess that the sale of multi-protocol modules that include DSM2 is illegal, but that doesn't stop them being available.

It would be good if someone who really knows the full details of this could clarify. There are almost certainly other threads from the past if a search is performed.

Mike Blandford24/09/2017 20:31:01
544 forum posts
22 photos

For information:

My understanding is that full power (100mW, 20dbm) DSM2 is no longer permitted to be sold in the EU as new equipment (unless the product was manufactured before the regulations cane into effect).

Any 2.4GHz equipment that transmits at a power level of 10dbm (or less) is not covered by the regultaions. If you have a Multi module, and wish to use DSM2 for indoor use only, then you may build the firmware for it (usually necessary anyway as they ship with very old firmware) with the power of DSM2 reduced by 10dbm. THis reduces the output power by a factor of 10, but will only reduce the range to about a third of full range.

Mike.

John Emms 122/10/2017 07:56:20
234 forum posts

Thanks to all, and now that I have this resolved, I should give feedback:

Now that I know a lot more about Spektrum, the initial question should have been that I have both DSM2 and DSMX indoor receiver modules, want to be able to buy DSMX indoor models in future, and now need a computer set for use with them all.

I am convinced there is no option that I have not considered, including disposing of DSM2 models (but I just built the Fokker D7 with an Ember 2 module, and the Mini Vapor is my favourite), changing to the new Jeti 1g receivers (my larger models are all Jeti), and waiting for the next family visit to the US.

Maybe I hit lucky, but I took a (now) educated gamble, and my as new DX6i DSMX arrived on Thursday. The setup has taken a little getting used to, but I now have both DSMX and DSM2 models programmed - the Tx allows it to be dedicated to either.

I am now a happy bunny, but feeling the welfare e-mail at work about the benefits of de-cluttering was not wasted on me lol.

Frank Skilbeck22/10/2017 08:46:46
4516 forum posts
101 photos

Looks like you have been lucky John, from what I understand a DSMx receiver will work with a DSM2 Tx (mine do), but not the other way round. It's been illegal to import DSM2 transmitters (or modules) into the EU for a couple of years, but equipment already imported could be sold.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us