Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Stuart Marsden25/09/2017 19:19:42
147 forum posts
5 photos

Anyone strengthened booms on the Hobby King Venom. Help please

Trevor Crook25/09/2017 20:15:08
923 forum posts
67 photos

I strengthened mine (it's a Vampire by the way, being pedantic!) I just cut a slit with a scalpel longways down the underside of each boom after they were glued to the wing. The slit bridged the join, and went almost back to the tail. I then pushed a length of 1mm x 5mm carbon rod into each slit, and wicked thin cyano in to fix it. It's fairly unobtrusive, but I covered mine with a strip if silver vinyl trim.

Apperently the new "V2" kit has carbon strengthening included.

Don Fry25/09/2017 20:25:16
4557 forum posts
54 photos

I have the Vampire. I stiffened the booms with carbon tube, because everyone does. But everyone also seems to put big batteries in them, so I assume, they fly them like hooligans. But be warned, if you fly too fast, and the tailplane tucks under, say in a powered dive, you will hit the ground before you sort the tuck under problem out. I would say, a couple of pieces of very small carbon TUBE is an insurance policy.

I would also say, fly it on whatever the maker says for a battery. HK is very fast and loose about their claimed battery fitments.

Stuart Marsden25/09/2017 20:39:51
147 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks Trevor, it must be one too many Stellas, Vampire it is. I will get some Carbon from In wood tomorrow. As I haven't started, would you reinforce the booms before attaching to the wing or not? Cheers Stuart

Trevor Crook25/09/2017 22:09:52
923 forum posts
67 photos

No, best done after attaching them, then the carbon can cross the join and strengthen it. I must have had a hundred or so flights with mine, all on 2200 4s packs, the higher C rating the better. Never had any structural or aerodynamic problem, but I did fly it fairly sympathetically. It cruises around nicely on just over half power, and of course you will get longer flight times - I got just over 5 minutes normally, but once got over 10 with thermal assistance.

My son also had one, which seemed to go just as well, and wasn't reinforced. We both sold them to make room for newer purchases, but they were still going strong!

Stuart Marsden25/09/2017 22:18:16
147 forum posts
5 photos

Many thanks again,I will take your advice. Best regards Stuart

KiwiKid26/09/2017 01:25:58
486 forum posts
477 photos

Might pay to wait until you get it and see how tough the tail booms feel as they have been strengthened in this version - HK does occasionally listen to us.

"Although the initial version of the Vampire was a very stable flier Durafly have tightened up the tail booms and elevator with carbon fiber support to give even better control."

Piers Bowlan26/09/2017 06:22:59
2052 forum posts
53 photos

I am pleased that HK have reinforced the booms, pretty essential really. I would check that the reinforcement runs the entire length of the booms, from well under the wing to the very end, otherwise they will surely break where the reinforcement ends as that will be a stress riser. Personally I used carbon strips along the underside and inside the booms, rather than single rods or tubes. Easy to do and very rigid.

Regarding battery size I used a 3300mAh 4s LiPo. To save weight mine does not have any landing gear fitted plus I fly from long grass, consequently I needed more weight in the nose to put the C of G in the right place. This has the added bonus of longer flights plus a bit more power, as there is less voltage drop with the larger capacity battery.

Talking of C of G the original HK instructions had it too far back which made for a very 'exciting' model! I think I moved mine forward by about 10mm but the instructions may have been revised?

This is a great flying model which also doubles as a PSS slope soarer. Enjoy.

Edited By Piers Bowlan on 26/09/2017 06:25:43

KiwiKid26/09/2017 13:51:57
486 forum posts
477 photos
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 26/09/2017 06:22:59:

This is a great flying model which also doubles as a PSS slope soarer.Enjoy.

Yip yip, the Vamp makes a neat sloper. You can fly it as is with some EDF back up. Or, if you want a bit better performance, or your slope is a bit iffie about liops, you can make a dedicated sloper by blocking off the intakes - like so (maybe paint the intake covers black though):

hk vampire pss.jpg

Daithi O Buitigh29/09/2017 22:14:48
1363 forum posts
50 photos

I may have gone a shade overboard - I not only inserted the carbon stiffeners full length, I also 'pegged' the boom/wing joints with cocktail sticks

Mark Kettle 129/09/2017 23:00:37
2507 forum posts
1508 photos
PSSA gliders.
Stuart Marsden30/09/2017 19:02:54
147 forum posts
5 photos

Thanks all this post has diversified but that's great. I have a problem. I am just wiring up and find I have 2 leads from different parts of the sec. When I wire either in I don't have any action from the fan, although everything else operates. Do I use a Y lead and put into throw. Does or has anyone else come across this.Cheers Stuart

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CADMA
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us