Forum sponsored by CML

Cox 3rd party parts

Cox alloy replacement carb body

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rob Bourne26/07/2008 16:57:00
14 forum posts

Hi,

Can anyone throw any light upon somebody in the U.S. who a few months ago was going to start making Cox Tee Dee replacement carburettor bodies, not from injection moulded plastic but from machined aluminium alloy? I've lost the link I had to the maker & wondered if anyone out there has a link to "him".

I've scoured the net with Google, Yahoo & Ask.com all with no luck. I think I read about the elusive maker on ebay's  U.S. site.  As Tee Dee  parts  for  the  .15  are  all  but  exhausted  I  thought  it  was  an  interesting  idea  that  would  bring  some  of  the  long  lost  &  lamented  engines  back to life. Anyone? 

Alistair Taylor27/07/2008 10:49:00
597 forum posts
11 photos

Wahey!

Another cox afficionado

Hmm - new cox carbies. That would be good. I guess you've probably heard of the Tarno carbs made in the past by (probably spelled incorrectly) Banjamin Tarnofsky.

If anyone knows about new carbs for coxes, it will be Martin Hepperle, famed cox collector and creator of an amazing website on cox engine history and technical wizadry;

Martin Hepperle

Or alternatively Ron's Model engineering news - a fount of useful info;

MAN

(apologies to RCM&E for mentioning another mag).

Hope this helps a bit

AlistairT

PS - My other post on twin cox-engined multiplex microjet should still be up here somewhere. It hasn't flown yet. I'm stil building up the courage.

Rob Bourne28/07/2008 12:52:00
14 forum posts
<div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left"><div align="left">Thanks Alistair, I E-mailed Martin Hepperle & this is his current knowledge on the matter:<div align="left"> <div align="left">Yes a guy was having some carburetor bodies made in aluminium. You can find his messages in the Yahoo group 049 collectors under e.g. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/message/3360<div align="left"> <div align="left">There is a website (without much function but the email form should work) http://www.vintageglowengines.com/<div align="left"> <div align="left">He was also thinking about having carb bodies made for .15 engines but I think so far he did not get enough orders for these parts. I don't know whether he has some of the 049 parts left or will produce more, just ask him.<div align="left"> <div align="left">Best regards <div align="left"> <div align="left">Martin<div align="left"> <div align="left">For me Alistair I'm more interested in seeing replacement parts for the .09 & .15 engines as there is a dearth of parts for them. 
Alistair Taylor29/07/2008 09:15:00
597 forum posts
11 photos

Hiya Rob

I know what you mean.

A chap in Devon - John D Haytree - had some parts for Cox .09s (I never asked him about .15s) including silencers and medallion/tee dee plastic front engine casings. He may still have some stuff, but I think the majority of spares when Cox/Estes abandoned engine production were bought up in bulk by wiley auction-site listers.

By the way - how  bad is the vibration on the .15? I've yet to run the one I have in anger, but I've read a great deal about them being potentially fatal for delicate radio gear due to vibration. Any truth in this?

AlistairT

Rob Bourne29/07/2008 10:41:00
14 forum posts

Hi Alistair,

I've dealt with John Haytree recently, he rebuilt my Mk4 Oliver Tiger   for me & I've  purchased  quite a lot of O.S. spares from him.  I'll have to  ask him what spares if any he has left for Cox engines. I don't know about the vibes problem with the .15 though. My Medallion has only had a "factory" run I think  . It's in excellent condition & I'm going to keep it like that  , although I'd like to aquire a "used" Tee Dee .15 to fly. The last Cox .15 I flew was in a control line combat "Liquidator" around 40 years ago  !! Currently I've A Cox .020, 7x.049's, a .051 Tee Dee, a .09 Medallion & a .15 Medallion. My "flying" engines are 3x Irvine .40's a Rossi .40 & a Super Tigre .61 .

Rob 

Alistair Taylor29/07/2008 15:23:00
597 forum posts
11 photos

Rob 

Blimey - you've been flying for longer than I've been on the planet!

I've been flying cox 049 powered gliders and the like for about 20 years. I had no idea that cox made any larger engines until I happened across a second hand TD09 for sale at a full-size airshow. I was immediately smitten by this "cox on steroids". 

I've been flying a few Speed 400 sized electric planes, and reverse engineering these to use coxes is a hoot. In the pile of projects is a Ripmax Reno Racer  with a rather bent nose. I'm planning to build a new fuselage for it and to power it with a TD09 (with silencer). Should be fun on 16% nitro 

Hidden away I've got a Medallion .15, a couple of TD09s, a Medallion 09 with trottle ring, and a whisky bottle box full of assorted 049s and 051s. I've also got a couple of Killer bees - and the internals on these are a delight to behold.

The things I could build with all the time in the world..........

AlistairT

Rob Bourne31/07/2008 10:24:00
14 forum posts

Hi Alistair,

As you know from Martin Hepperle's website Cox have over the years produced some very fine, interesting & many now rare engines. None I guess more so than the .049 RR1 with its blue anodised tank & gold crankcase.

For many years I've wondered why Cox never produced engines larger than .15's. Maybe they thought the home market (US) wouln't buy them in large enough numbers. Personally I'd have liked to see .30, .45 & even a .60 variant of the Tee Dee series.... If only I had an engineering background....

However I've ordered a plan of George Aldrich's Peacemaker from VicStunt (Peter White's 321 Plans) for the 50th anniversary of the original Peacemaker. I intend to build the version with the built up fuselage & hopefully convert this classic to r/c from c/l & power it with my Rossi .40 with its mini pipe. It will be gloriously overpowered so I'll add full flap control, throttle (I think I'll need that) & a steerable tricycle undercart for good measure. Anyway that's the plan.....

RobB

Alistair Taylor31/07/2008 11:45:00
597 forum posts
11 photos

Hiya Rob

RC peacemaker sounds fun. I'm thinking of going retro and trying my hand at C/L. I've never done it before, but now have a handle, set of lines, and simple sheet trainer to try it out with.

I picked up a radio modeller plan for an RC version of a combat wing called "Red Hot". Apparently it was perfectly manageable in roll, but (as you'd expect) VERY sensitive in pitch. There's probably a limited window of opportunity for me to build and fly this as my reaction times deteriorate with the passing years......

A 40 sized cox would have been great fun. I read that the larger coxes suffered from vibration, and this was part of the reason for not going bigger than a .15 with that particular design. Cox did make larger utility engines, but these were not for modelling. I wonder if they might have been faced by the need to buy new tooling and jigs to build the bigger engines. Martin has some amazing pictures of coxes in production on his site, showing compact equipment capable of multiple machining operations.

Ho hum - maybe time to buy a lathe and start learning how to use that..... So much to do, so little time.

AlistairT

Rob Bourne04/08/2008 10:49:00
14 forum posts

Hi Alistair

I read the engine tests conducted by Peter Chinn & Martin Hepperle who would both have conducted any tests under scrupulous conditions certainly, yet I don't recollect either the TD .15 or Medallion .15 to be any more prone to vibration than any other racing or quality engines of the time.

Now noise... the same could not be said of them when running on a high nitro content fuel delivered under pressure from a rubber (synthetic probably) baby pacifier (yes what mothers shoved into the offsprings mouth). I forget now how much fuel we could sqeeeeze into one before it burst & sprayed us with the contents! The engine would be primed & flicked until it ran on the fuel residue in the engine then quickly the needle valve was cracked open, only I think one quarter or half a turn & the result if lucky was one screeeaaaming TD .15 Mk II Special!!

RobB

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
CML
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us