Mark's TN Hawk Build

Mark's Tony Nijhuis 50" Hawk Build Log

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Mark Elen15/10/2017 20:36:21
328 forum posts
577 photos

Hi Craig,

Thanks for your comments. Wow, that looks impressive!

Cheers

Mark

Martin McIntosh15/10/2017 20:51:28
2424 forum posts
935 photos

I also would dispense with the spacers since they will compress over time and cause a loose fan.

Leave your thread name as it is and I shall put a note on mine since there have been few replies so it has probably lapsed.

Wish I had space for a Vulcan like that Craig.

Geoff Gardiner15/10/2017 21:04:09
275 forum posts
485 photos

I have been watching both threads with interest as this may be one that I will build in the future.

Mark Elen16/10/2017 10:03:04
328 forum posts
577 photos

Thanks for the pointers guys👍 I will take those spacers out.

Today I have charged up the lipos, and set the power train up on the bench. At full chat, it is pulling 114.71 Amps giving 3436.7 Watts. That doesn't look too far off does it?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

The biggest question is how closely calibrated is the watt meter?

I'm pretty happy that this will be adequate based on the fact I was having to hold onto the workmate to stop it moving😂

Cheers

Mark

Tomtom3916/10/2017 11:40:15
659 forum posts

Looking good (Mark/Martin) . As an aside, I managed to borrow a thrust meter and was pleasantly surprised that my Schubeler EDF unit was was producing similar thrust (on 8s) to the HK unit at approx 600 watts less showing on my Watt meter.

I'm debating on the Hawk . Decisions , decisions!

Gary Vinten 116/10/2017 13:25:51
515 forum posts
326 photos
1 articles

Hi Martin

Thats a much better result well done , what edf was that one can you give me the product code from Hobbyking or the link yes

Gary

Mark Elen16/10/2017 13:56:40
328 forum posts
577 photos

Hi Gary,

That was the 1250kv 8S - I'm pretty sure the same fan as Tony used on his. It seems like it's only available from the HK Global warehouse. I ordered mine from HK before I found out that 4-max are doing a fan and ESC package.

HK link here: **LINK**

4-max link here: **LINK**

Regards

Mark

Martin McIntosh16/10/2017 14:02:08
2424 forum posts
935 photos

Hi Gary,

The EDF I have is one which comes up on offer from HK from time to time. It is a 10S unit so needs much heavier batteries. I already had a pair of Zippy Compact 5800 5S. Would prefer Multistar ones but they do not make 5S packs. Also would have preferred an 8S fan but I only paid £44 for the one I have.

The HK site has been changed again and no longer lets you see previous orders so have no idea what the product code is. You would be better using 8S anyway.

Martin McIntosh16/10/2017 14:11:25
2424 forum posts
935 photos

Hi Mark,

That package deal looks to be a reasonable price. I got stung an extra £29 by the shipping company, mainly their charge for collecting duty. Complained to HK about the company they used and they said `why not get one from your local warehouse`. Great idea if they stocked them!

Mark Elen13/03/2018 21:19:06
328 forum posts
577 photos

At long last, I've made a start on this build. Just for a change and because I've never built a wing with jig tabs, I've started on the wing first.

The quality of the laser cutting and routed bits in the CNC kit is excellent.

I started by getting both sheets of the plan photocopied, with 2 copies of the wing plan - 1 a straight copy, the other a mirror image. It's strange that Tony has drawn the wing twice on the plan, but they are both the same wing (one shown in detail and one shown fully sheeted. Or is it just me not reading the plan correctly??😁

Anyway, by doing the photocopy, it means I can cut the plan up and fit it to my board and not make a mess of the original

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Mark Elen15/03/2018 13:27:21
328 forum posts
577 photos

A bit more done last night. I ran out of 'square things' to use for holding the ribs square.

image.jpeg

I found that I needed some packing at the bottom of W1 to space it off the board and keep it all lined up. Also, the CNC cutting of D1 (the dihedral brace) had the sides square with the flat top edge, on trial fitting there was a bit of head scratching as to why it wouldn't fit neatly to W2. It was a little too long as well. My Proxxon sander soon had it to the correct length and square to the bottom edges.

Cheers

Mark

Mark Elen15/03/2018 21:49:49
328 forum posts
577 photos

Not done a lot tonight. I got the top spar glued in and made up some scrap blocks to hold the front of the ribs while they are sanded back to give a greater gluing area to the false leading edge.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Mark Elen18/03/2018 17:36:07
328 forum posts
577 photos

A bit more done over the weekend, in places, I've gone a bit 'off piste'. Maybe a little OTT, but it has kept me busy. I've fettled the stub spars into the main spars and also the webbing. The plan is a little vague as to where the light ply webbing goes, at one point saying up to w3 on the fronts, but at the other end, it says 3mm hard balsa from W4 to w9. That leaves the backs of the central section and the whole of bay W3-W4 to interpret.

As the stub spars terminate into the back of W2-W3 and the retract bearers terminate into W3-W4, I decided to use light ply for all of the central section up to w4.

I also made a mistake getting a hole in the wrong place😁

I made up the front false l.e and the t.e so that they both extend to the board. This will allow me to pin the wing flat to the board whilst skinning the top.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

McG 696918/03/2018 18:04:56
2076 forum posts
887 photos

Hi Mark,

I thought you wrote that your next build was going to be a 'quick & easy one' just to keep busy till October when the Fury Class opens... cool

And now, sjeesh... such a complicated lay-out. Just looking at your pics, I could very easily get dizzy... and that's just half-a-wing. surprise

I can't promise I'll be there if you feel like a mojo-issue coming up. But at least, I subscribed now. yes

Cheers

Chris

Mark Elen25/03/2018 21:07:40
328 forum posts
577 photos

Hi Chris,

Not so sure about easy, but this is definitely quick by my standards. I've just about got the second wing panel built now.

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Mark Elen31/03/2018 10:44:39
328 forum posts
577 photos

Hi all,

Second wing panel is now done and sheeted on the top

image.jpeg

The other side sheet is on the board with the glue drying. I cut out the sheet so that it is 1/2" oversize all around except for the root edge. I have left this a few mm so that I can fettle the fit to the sheet that is already on.

I'm glad now that I extended the l.e. And t.e. Pieces down to the board, as I have been using these to pin the wing panel flat to the board whilst the sheeting is progressing. I also cut up a piece of 1/2" to 40mm to pin the tip that wasn't being sheeted to.

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Mark Elen01/04/2018 21:23:57
328 forum posts
577 photos

In keeping with my 'quick and easy' motto of this build, I've decided to use the SLEC mini servo mounts, I'm well on the way with the bearers.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Gary Thatcher02/04/2018 10:26:19
1 forum posts

Hi Mark

Its looking better than my one i'm building, am scratch building mine though from the rcme plan.

Went with the 10s fan from HK got a good deal over xmas on it.

Have fun with your build mate ...smiley

Mark Elen02/04/2018 22:49:37
328 forum posts
577 photos

Bearers are now all done, the bottom now needs sanding and the jig tabs removing. I had to move the aileron servos nearer to the spar as in the position shown on the plan, they were fouling the underside of the top sheeting. I have formulated a plan for marking out all of the holes to cut in the bottom sheeting when it's fitted, more on this later.

image.jpeg

Cheers

Mark

Geoff Gardiner02/04/2018 23:37:12
275 forum posts
485 photos

That looks very neat building Mark.

What retracts are you using?

Geoff...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Airtek Hobbies
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues