By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Q: Did you start with ARTF and move to building from kits or vice versa?

Started with ARTF moved to building from kits only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from plans only
 Started with ARTF moved to building from kits and building from plans
 Started with building kits or from plans and moved to ARTF
 I only build from kits or plans
 I only build ARTF
 I only build from kits
 I only build from plans
 Other (Please specify in thread)

Tony Harrison 221/11/2017 14:01:11
202 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by John Emms 1 on 21/11/2017 12:42:51:

Hi Tony, well done for your perseverance!....The mistake many make is trying to fly too complex models too early.

Thanks John. I should emphasise that the foamy I crashed (twice in fact) was a not very complex Radian Pro electric glider - I never liked it, and think it behaved erratically, apart from my lack of experience/skill. My first build, which has flown four times, is a very basic, floaty, trad build electric glider, rudder/elevator. Even under supervision I managed to crash it 2nd flight! Rebuilt the nose, flew it again... I'm postponing an attempt to fly it solo sometime when there's little or no wind even though it's simple and floats well, since I dread the thought of an instant crash... Maybe sometime soon I'll pluck up courage.

Edited By Tony Harrison 2 on 21/11/2017 14:05:31

Tony Harrison 221/11/2017 14:04:56
202 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by trebor on 21/11/2017 13:24:03:

I purchased a new Artf trainer, then went onto second hand as they were cheaper. Now wishing I'd not gone down this route as the repairs seem to get out of control. When I get a nice workshop building from scratch will start, got 3 kits so far and plans for a few others.

I know what you mean about those repairs. After crashing a foamy glider (Radian Pro) I managed to repair it, but frankly the erratic, twitchy character of the thing (which I'd noticed from the start) was exacerbated, and various controls/linkages seemed distinctly upset: trying to fly it solo in very calm conditions, the thing went up gently then veered violently right then down, impacting the ground horribly... Good luck with your builds! That at least is great fun.

John Emms 121/11/2017 18:04:34
229 forum posts

If it's any consolation, I think I am considered a fairly competent pilot, but I have never been able to land a Zagi, and gave up trying! The secret to success is very much in the rigging angles and trim. Simulators are also a great help.

Good luck to you both!

Edited By John Emms 1 on 21/11/2017 18:05:10

Edited By John Emms 1 on 21/11/2017 18:05:38

onetenor11/12/2017 22:18:32
1717 forum posts

I started in the 40s with tanner and bob chuckies and the odd 2/6 rubber all sheet job .Then kits followed by scratch built. Since done everything else.Can't fly at present waiting for new hips

Rene Wallage01/01/2018 11:27:34
116 forum posts
41 photos

I started of with a Unicorn EPP flying wing, than went on to ARF's, and now I have a mix of ARF's, kit build, scratch build, wood, foam, etc...

Simon Chaddock01/01/2018 14:03:04
5170 forum posts
2708 photos

I suspect this poll will show an age thing.

When I started there was no RTF or ARTF. The first was probably the Frog 'Fighter' rubber power plane but it was far too expensive for me - you could get a 51" KK Caprice contest glider kit for the same price!

Percy Verance01/01/2018 16:48:18
6732 forum posts
133 photos

Wow, that takes me back Simon. I think I had one of those Frog Flighter jobs. Were they the ones made from blow moulded plastic, about 24 inch span?

But yes, back then if you saw a model you really liked you had to build it. There was no other way to get one.

The first artf I remember was a Kyosho low wing job back in the early to mid 80's. A new flyer turned up at our field with one and there was a crowd round him, such was the novelty. We'd never imagined such a thing at the time.......... A ready made model aeroplane? 

Surely it woud never catch on? Why, half the pleasure was in building the model................

P.S. I never had a Caprice. I built the Nomad, Minimoa and Chief though. Happy days!

Edited By Percy Verance on 01/01/2018 17:02:51

Rene Wallage01/01/2018 17:37:33
116 forum posts
41 photos

Now would be the appropriate time to insert Monty Python's Four Yorkshire men...

Erfolg11/01/2018 17:36:12
10929 forum posts
1042 photos

On reflection my first model. or is that a "flying toy" was a catapult glider, ready to fly, manufactured in the then West Germany by a company called Gunther. I believe they still exist today, The aircraft was purchased in Germany and initially flown on my aunties farm, in Westphalia, at Nordrath.

On reflection it now seems more modern, a proper flying machine. The wings had a frame made from spring steel wire, with an additional cross member to help in maintaining an ellipse. Today it would be made from CF, The frame had a covering of plastic film stretched over it, with an overlap which was stuck down with an adhesive. The pod type body was hard wood, with a rubber bumper on the nose. The rear fus, was made from a heavier gauge spring steel wire, onto which was a a tailplane frame, which was soldered on, although this was of a "u" shape, to provide a "v" type tail, again covered as per the main wing.

Boy did it fly, when catapulted into the air, it was many, many years before any of my proper, or generally observed other peoples proper models could fly in both distance and duration. I saw it as a toy, now, my opinion is that was a high performance small flying machine.

Although I have flown a Multiplex Fox with my granddaughter, it does not have anything like the performance of this West German counterpart of another time.

Although I have not recognised it for a long time, it was this toy, and the pleasure it provided that has kept me trying to regain the same high as that toy provided, an addiction for life, that needs ever more fixes, but never achieving the same high.

David Davis15/02/2018 12:47:31
2998 forum posts
506 photos

I started as a twelve year old building free flight kits, my first was a Keil Kraft Ajax. Then I went onto plans for both free flight and control line models. My first radio models were built from kits in 1988. Since then I've bought a few ARTFs and models which other people had built, but I've kept the building up too.

Of my models currently in flying condition, four were built from kits: Junior 60, Veron Cardinal, Baron and SLEC Fun Fly. Two are ARTFs: Boomerang and Primary 40 ARTF club trainers and I bought my Roy Scott BE2e ready built.

I have an ARTF Acrowot to complete and I have a Flair Harvard which just needs a little further attention before it can be flown. This model was also bought ready-built. Finally I have a DB Sport and Scale Auster to finish off. Just need to build and cover the fin and rudder, stick the radio and engine in and test fly it.

Edited By David Davis on 15/02/2018 12:51:37

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues