Forum sponsored by CML

Warbird Replicas Bf 109 club.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Paul Johnson 406/03/2019 13:35:46
692 forum posts
466 photos
Posted by gillyg1 on 06/03/2019 12:49:50:

Glynn, are these AS3X units , (excuse my ignorance), stand alone gyros, if so would they work with futaba? I know speccy recievers some have it built in gyros, guess this would be away of eliminating ""fish tailing" ?? Being an old fashioned modeller don't do new fangled electronics very well.i

Hiya

The Spektrum receivers have to be set up remotely using a blue tooth 'dongle' (gismo that plugs into the receiver) and connected via a phone app. Or by a laptop and seperate usb lead. (all Extras to the receiver).

So unless you have a reasonable understanding of the system you will find it daunting.

( I'm an electronic engineer by trade cheeky and I had to go through it quite a few time to get it all talking to the app and receivers, then you have to test during flight to set up the feedback gains, this can be done remotely on the Spektrum Tx's with telemetry)

Still interested? Don't want to put you off if you fancy a go but do do some research before outlaying for one as they are expensive.

Oh by the way they do work really well though as Glynn said.

Glynn06/03/2019 13:47:00
56 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by gillyg1 on 06/03/2019 12:49:50:

Glynn, are these AS3X units , (excuse my ignorance), stand alone gyros, if so would they work with futaba? I know speccy recievers some have it built in gyros, guess this would be away of eliminating ""fish tailing" ?? Being an old fashioned modeller don't do new fangled electronics very well.i

They are 3 axis gyro's with accelerometers so work on the elevator, aileron and rudder and work in heading hold mode or Rate. So they help when the weather interferes with the model. They go between the receiver and servo's and you need an extra channel to switch between HH & Rate and gain, I used it with a Futaba 14SG with one of the rotary knobs so centre was off, CW HH gain and CCW Rate gain. When off the servo signal passed straight thru. several times on my high wing trainer I shut the motor down and with no input from me it was putting elevator in for a perfect glide slope, and a couple of times it was so perfect I let it land on it's own. Spectrum build them into some of their Rx's, not cheap they were £100 plus but very good, much better than the cheap ones from HK. They don't stop you from crashing but do stop fish tailing.

RICHARD WILLS06/03/2019 15:40:43
390 forum posts
51 photos

Paul , did you say Clam Day ?

Clam Day ?

Is that an episode of Sponge Bob that I've missed ?

peter harvey 106/03/2019 16:43:59
67 forum posts
19 photos

Try A3-L hobbyeagle gyro from Bangood at£17.00, these are very good simple gyros and can be seen on you tube controlling a me109.

I had one in a Fokker d1 and that transformed it particularly on take off. Very simple to set up

Cheers

Peter

Paul Johnson 406/03/2019 18:18:26
692 forum posts
466 photos
Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 06/03/2019 15:40:43:

Clam Day ?

Watch it you... my I remind you of a exhaust with no hole in it...!cheeky

Glynn06/03/2019 22:31:47
56 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Paul Johnson 4 on 06/03/2019 18:18:26:
Posted by RICHARD WILLS on 06/03/2019 15:40:43:

Clam Day ?

Watch it you... my I remind you of a exhaust with no hole in it...!cheeky

Did Richard tell you he has weaned the boy's off the MOAMS and onto something else which he won't tell us. I can see a bloodbath next time we go round or having to spend a fortune on every sweet in the supermarket. crying

Edited By Glynn on 06/03/2019 22:32:22

Graham R14/03/2019 14:48:53
303 forum posts
19 photos

Paul,

How are you? I have been studying all your pictures trying to see how you hinged the flaps that are attached to the wing. The flap that's on the wing I assume is still attached by conventional hinges that are covered over.

Paul Johnson 414/03/2019 20:14:00
692 forum posts
466 photos

Hi Graham,

I'm fine thanks. I used the same hinges that Richard put in the kits. They were pinned with cocktails sticks. Then covered.

I had a nice evening with Richard at his club on Wednesday. He invited me to bring the 109 as he gave a session on weathering and paneling. It was interesting to see how his club colleagues began to realise just how easy it is. I don't think Glynn was too impressed with me using his FW190 as a Guinea pig, he liked how it looked.... but... I only did one wing to show the difference. I wonder if he has finished the other side yet?

Graham R14/03/2019 21:10:56
303 forum posts
19 photos

Hi Paul, I have been applying the weathering technique to the 110. I will get some photos soon. Going back to the 109 were the wing flaps centre or bottomed hinged. If they are centred I guess you just gently round off the bottom of the l/e.

Glynn15/03/2019 00:05:36
56 forum posts
20 photos

Paul

Many thanks for all your input at our club last night, There has been lots of posts on our facebook page on how the lads really enjoyed the evening. I was at Richards today getting the 190's legs sorted out in hope to stopping it nosing over, so I will be continuing your excellent work on ageing the Fokker. Once again many thanks to you and Richard from the lads at CMFA.

Glynn

Paul Johnson 415/03/2019 10:41:01
692 forum posts
466 photos
Posted by Graham R on 14/03/2019 21:10:56:

Hi Paul, I have been applying the weathering technique to the 110. I will get some photos soon. Going back to the 109 were the wing flaps centre or bottomed hinged. If they are centred I guess you just gently round off the bottom of the l/e.

Sorry Graham... they are bottom hinged and pinned..!

Paul Johnson 415/03/2019 10:42:09
692 forum posts
466 photos
Posted by Glynn on 15/03/2019 00:05:36:

Paul

Many thanks for all your input at our club last night, There has been lots of posts on our facebook page on how the lads really enjoyed the evening. I was at Richards today getting the 190's legs sorted out in hope to stopping it nosing over, so I will be continuing your excellent work on ageing the Fokker. Once again many thanks to you and Richard from the lads at CMFA.

Glynn

It's was a pleasure mate.... oh did you finish the other wing??? cheeky

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
CML
Motion RC
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us