By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

DB Cirrus Moth 40 Plan

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy C19/10/2017 21:53:23
163 forum posts

I'm starting to think ahead for my next build which is going to be a DB Cirrus Moth 40 from a full kit which I have already. Am going to attempt to scan teh full plan into a PDF, but before I do I thought I would just see if there is a better source of an already successfully scanned plan already out there. Photo below is of my plan to prove I own it, but its pretty creased so not sure how well it will scan. Thanks

Dwain Dibley.20/10/2017 00:16:47
1268 forum posts
1267 photos

Why ??? Why don't you just get a copy from a photo copy shop, costs about 3 quid.

Plus you could always iron it flat.

D.D.

cymaz20/10/2017 06:11:46
9015 forum posts
1187 photos

Go to a printers / copy shop as DD says. Why not run off 2 or 3 so you can cut one up .

Andy C20/10/2017 06:44:00
163 forum posts

Thanks guys, but I already have the ability to print further copies, so having a PDF is very useful to me. Was just trying to save the scanning effort that was all.

Percy Verance20/10/2017 06:49:03
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Why is the plan so crumpled when it's supplied rolled up in the kit? surprise

I would add it is rolled in the current kit, but was folded in the first one I built in 1990, as per my header pic.

Edited By Percy Verance on 20/10/2017 06:50:03

Trevor Crook20/10/2017 07:23:10
923 forum posts
67 photos

I can understand you wanting an electronic back-up, easier to store than paper. Would a print shop be able to produce one for you if you took in an appropriate memory device? After all, all printers are scanners.

Richard B (DB Sport and Scale Ltd)20/10/2017 09:56:01
35 forum posts
1 photos

Please do not seek to PDF it. Discussions about photo photo copying for personal use I will ignore as I too build models so can appreciate why you would want one to cut up and one for your archives. I will also (at my discretion) sell the kit plans for people who acquire second hand models and wish to repair as per original and for who knows whatever other reasons crop up. I already have digital versions and they would be on the site for download if we wanted them distributed in that manner.

As soon as you digitise it a whole new element of risk is involved. Apart from the act of copying in the first place, all it takes is one mistake and then that plan becomes almost useless to the business. I have already had to have one removed from a well known free site (and I can helpfully/depressingly see how many times it was downloaded before I did). When I'm looking to make something back into a kit that will not now be on the list of possibilities. I have also had to contact a number of ebay sellers and another seller of associated bits.

I always do this with a friendly request although, disappointingly, a couple have made me make a firmer request. I have no choice but to do this despite what was suggested in some previous comments that I saw on here some time ago. It's not as if I gain any satisfaction or reward from these discussions. If you did this for all our plans and they were made free to download what do you suppose would happen then?

G194020/10/2017 10:48:19
3523 forum posts
1 photos

I get plans copied at our local Staples so that I can, as Richard says, cut them up to make managing them in my small workshop easier (or, in the case of a plan build, to help in cutting out parts) but that's it. I acquired my DB Tiggie part built with no plan, in fact I wasn't sure it was a DB Tiggie, but Eddie confirmed it was and sold me a plan for a very reasonable cost.

DB is one of the few companies still producing kits and anything that may compromise its viability is to be deprecated. The company needs to make a profit to survive. No profit means we lose a valuable resource. I doubt if running DB S&S will make Richard a millionaire but he needs to eat like the rest of us. I'd buy more kits from him but it's nearly a year since I bought my 58"ws Cirrus Moth and it's still untouched but is next in the queue

Geoff

Andy C20/10/2017 18:17:39
163 forum posts

Richard - Fair enough.

Others - because I have access to a printer so why pay for someone else to print my spare copies?

Mods, Happy for this thread to be closed as i fear it runs the risk of heading down a back hole.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us