By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What Petrol Engine is best ?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
tigerman30/10/2017 16:42:01
171 forum posts

I have now decided on getting a 30cc petrol engine for an Wots Wot XL. I know the Wots Wot is designed to fit the OS 33 petrol engine and that is the way I was thinking of going .I know OS are a good engine and are made well but an OS 33 petrol engine is about £350 Is it better to go for a quality engine and pay the price or are you paying for the OS name and would it be just has good going for the cheaper petrol engines ie the NGH or similar that are half the price of the OS engine ?I would rather have pay the price and have a good reliable engine then buy a cheap one and regret it

extra slim30/10/2017 16:59:03
448 forum posts
48 photos

DLE are good I find, and EME seems to be a popular recent choice. 35's.a few club members are really happy with them.. as these sit somewhere between the OS and the NGH types price wise..

Geoff Sleath30/10/2017 17:03:19
3374 forum posts
272 photos

I think something to look at with any petrol engine is the cost of an efficient silencer. I don't know if OS supply a decent one that actually silences but I know I had to pay £90 a few years ago for a Pitts style silencer for my 30cc Mackay 2 stroke which is actually acceptably quiet. It's a good engine, too which runs well once I'd sorted out a new ignition unit (from HK) which is probably the reason the previous owner sold it on eBay.

Compared with things like chainsaws etc petrol engines on models get almost no use. Even an enthusiastic flyer won't be running an engine for several hours a week like a professional tree surgeon might.

Geoff

john stones 130/10/2017 17:14:23
10605 forum posts
1480 photos

In a nutshell, buy a DLE, been around a while now, very popular, why's that. Which is best ? define best. wink

bert baker30/10/2017 17:36:34
1423 forum posts
303 photos

I have two DLE 30's, never had any problems with them,

Piers Bowlan31/10/2017 08:18:20
1871 forum posts
45 photos

It will probably be one of these, once it is in production. (Hint, Hint, Jon) Meanwhile we can only dream!

Rich too31/10/2017 08:38:20
3033 forum posts
1070 photos
Posted by john stones 1 on 30/10/2017 17:14:23:

In a nutshell, buy a DLE, been around a while now, very popular, why's that. Which is best ? define best. wink

+1 yes

Jon - Laser Engines31/10/2017 08:53:32
4802 forum posts
179 photos
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 31/10/2017 08:18:20:

It will probably be one of these, once it is in production. (Hint, Hint, Jon) Meanwhile we can only dream!

crying im trying

ChrisB31/10/2017 09:43:01
1220 forum posts
34 photos

The biggest thing to think about is suitable silencing, as the corned beef tins supplied with most 2s petrols are only good for the bin

john stones 131/10/2017 09:50:32
10605 forum posts
1480 photos
Posted by Piers Bowlan on 31/10/2017 08:18:20:

Buy whatever you wish, dream till your hearts content, in the meantime there's plenty of good petrol engines about, don't believe me? read peoples opinions that are using them, look at all the video of models being flown by them, recall the models being flown at shows/clubs already with petrols in, we've seen it with our own eyes, read the blogs on here by lads who are very capable modellers using what's available already. Laser are bringing one/some to the market ? Good, that's more choice for us.

Sweet dreams, wink

Engine Doctor31/10/2017 10:12:33
2302 forum posts
27 photos

Loads of good usable engines out there . For better power buy a rear carb with read valve like Dle or a front induction type like Moki /McKay engines. OS petrol engines have had their problems as well even with the associated high prices .The front of rear carb is easier to fit in the cowling . Side port engines like zenoah  are pretty indestructible with good quality materials  but are generally old fashioned heavy designs as used in garden tools etc and the carb sticking out the side makes almost as muck noise as the exhaust. As already said in previous post silencers are a problem with petrol engines and most far east made types have rubbish silencers supplied so budget for a decent silencer something like a Krumsheid . Not cheap but they are very well made and do work.

John Emms 131/10/2017 10:49:00
233 forum posts

I think there is a very clear difference between the industrial engines designed to run for hour up on hour like Komatsu Zenoah (I have one), and the lighter engines designed to produce maximum power for our use.

The people I know who are using OS are very pleased with them, the supplied silencer fits easily into most models, and is VERY effective, but should anything go wrong, it is going to cost. Interesting that the Czech distributor sells considerably more OS, than the Chinese range that they also distribute.....

Having worked with MVVS, I have no hesitation in saying that for a new engine, I would be looking first to MVVS, or perhaps looking for a used, but cared for, MVVS/older generation Evolution. The factory support (also in the EU, so there is free movement) is excellent should that be required, and does not cost an arm and a leg!

Unfortunately Krumsheide did not work for one of our customers, and caused me considerable agro - if only he had used the MVVS pipe designed for, and tested with, the engine he bought........

John Emms 131/10/2017 10:52:52
233 forum posts

ROTO are also absolutely top notch, but can I make a correction to my last post?

I NEED the Laser 180 Petrol!

Rich too31/10/2017 11:08:45
3033 forum posts
1070 photos

I am running both the OS33 and the DLE 30 and there is nothing in it for me. I got the OS33 from a forum member for a great price - I would not buy one new, over a DLE 30. I am currently running DLE 20, 30, and 55 - all great motors.

Itisme31/10/2017 21:23:14
36 forum posts
22 photos

I have a dle30 in a acro-wot xl and eme35 in a wots-wot xl, i don’t have any problems with either. They both haul the planes around effortlessly

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us