By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Reichard Model Gliders

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Moore 709/11/2017 21:39:42
57 forum posts

Looking to purchase a Reichard Glider, not sure which one at the moment.

Anyone know if they are well made and of decent quality ?

Old Geezer10/11/2017 08:02:52
638 forum posts

Yes, that would describe them exactly, though definitely not cheap. Had a couple myself, not a huge amount of work to get ready to fly. Neither of mine were exactly floaters but flew beautifully if set up "as per", and just looked the business in the air. Some of the Reichard gliders are a fair size, and may not be exactly light weights, so don't try launching yours on your own until you've got to know one another! Fastish and level is the way to go but once she's climbing away you'll see why I've had two.

YakMad10/11/2017 09:11:08
518 forum posts

I have a Reichard Variant II which performs much better then some of the fully moulded gilders at our patch which cost twice as much although I did have to reduce the incidence on the tailplane to increase the speed range.

John Lee10/11/2017 11:34:42
677 forum posts
51 photos

I had a Reichard Baracuda for many years. It flew very nicely, initially as a slope soarer and latterly as a thermal soarer with electric motor conversion. I only sold it as it was a bit big to transport & rig and it was much easier to chuck a Multiplex Heron in the car.

The wings were great, foam covered with a layer of glass cloth and then balsa, tough as old boots if a little heavy. Good quality fibre glass fuselage & balsa empennage. The downsides were inadequate canopy fixings, fiddly wing joining & unsatisfactory elevator control, as designed.

The elevator was operated by a thin piano wire pushrod in an unsupported tube down a 1 meter long fuselage & through an 80 degree turn up the fin, which led to considerable free play & false neutrals. I replaced the arrangement with a slim servo in the fin.

If my experience is anything to go by, be prepared to do the last 10% of the development yourself & you then end up with an excellent long lasting model.

iawnski10/02/2018 15:10:18
1076 forum posts
28 photos

downed my barracuda so new fuz needed ,anyone have one for sale

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
electricwingman 2017
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Do you use a throttle kill switch?
Q: This refers to electric-powered models but do you use a throttle kill switch?

Yes
 No
 Sometimes
 Rarely

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us