By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

OS 26 going dead stick

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
kamikazi ted05/08/2008 19:52:00
17 forum posts

My OS 26 fitted into my  Junior 60 goes dead stick after about 5 minutes pottering about,it runs ok on the ground, I have looked for air leaks but none are visible,tried it on 5 and 10% fuels same result.there is also foam under the tank. Any ideas?

simon barr06/08/2008 09:07:00
1034 forum posts
16 photos

Hello Ted,

Without seeing it, it is hard to say for sure.  When you say pottering about I assume that the motor is running at half throttle or below so it is possible the settings are too rich and the motor floods itself and stops....possibly bottom end needs leaning a touch.

Or it might be running out of fuel. Check that the pick-up in the tank is in the correct position (not kinked) as possibly after 5 min running the clunk is no longer in the remaining fuel.

Simon.

Simon Chaddock06/08/2008 09:38:00
5443 forum posts
2855 photos

Hello Ted

"About 5 minutes" is a long time for something like an air leak or wrong mixture to take effect, so I agree with Simon that fuel shortage is the more likely cause.

How full is the tank after a dead stick? Remember when you are actually in the air (unlike  when on the ground) the fuel is sloshing about a bit so the clunk can be temporarily exposed with still quite a bit of fuel remaining. In addition at low throttle it will only take a couple of miss fires for the engine to slow down so  much that it stops.

I assume the OS is mounted conventionally in your Junior 60, upright & sticking out in the breeze? Is the position of the fuel tank OK relative to the carb?

Simon 

kamikazi ted07/08/2008 13:48:00
17 forum posts

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your input but the engine setting is not on the rich side, it was set up rich then leaned out  by about a quarter of a turn,also the tank was still quite full when landed. I have looked for air leaks and holes in the fuel line but every thing seems to be OK.

I have removed the cowl so there is plenty of air going round, the tank is slightly high  but no sign of flooding, I have just checked the clunk tank and it also is fine.

Thanks again Ted

John Laird07/08/2008 19:13:00
427 forum posts
46 photos

any chance vibration causing foaming ??

if tank sitting on solid mounting in the fuz , try piece of foam around it

Chris Channon08/08/2008 20:36:00
57 forum posts
1 photos

Hi Ted, put a couple of squirts of Armor All vinyl  cleaner in the fuel, it will stop the fuel foaming and stop the lean run causing the engine dead sticks.

Chris C

kamikazi ted09/08/2008 11:12:00
17 forum posts

Hi  there John & chris.

Thanks for your inputs.There is in fact there is foam under the tank,would the depth of foam make any difference?The cleaner in the fuel sounds good.

Cheers TED 

John Laird09/08/2008 11:56:00
427 forum posts
46 photos

my understanding is that somehow the fuel gets aeriated throughout and as the fuel travels along the fuel line the bubbles seperate out and collect to form sufficient size of bubble in the fuel line to cause the engine to starve and stop.

I have seen Chris's suggestion put forward in the States and it appears to be effective. I was advised that 3 or 4 drops in a gallon of fuel was sufficient. I think you get this cleaner at halford as a car interior cleaner. If you want more advice to a google on  ""  " armor all vinyl " + foaming ""

just hope that you get it all sorted out - its frustrating to have engine stop at the wrong time ( its nearly always the wrong time .)

kamikazi ted09/08/2008 18:09:00
17 forum posts

Thanks John.

When I read Armour All Vinyl it threw me a bit 'Vinyl' and model fuel did not compute, so down to Halfords it is then.I'll let you know how I get on.

TED

Jo28/08/2008 11:12:00
3 forum posts

I just went to Halford's, and they couldn't find Armour All vinyl cleaner in their PC lists; there were other applications by the same maker, though. Would some other type of cleaner do? Am anxious to solve this problem, which endangers both the model and other people!

Jo

Eric Bray28/08/2008 11:38:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos

This is really one of those questions that needs a hands on approach.

Does the engine run the tank dry at high rpm's?

Does the engine pick up readily from 'pottering' rev's, when you open the throttle?

Is the mixture really correct?

Are you using nitro in the fuel?

If everything else is correct, it is possible that the engine is cooling down TOO much, and the fire is going out!

John Laird29/08/2008 19:57:00
427 forum posts
46 photos
the armour vinyl cleaner is I think an American brand and I assumed that the uk product would be similar
Chris Channon30/08/2008 19:58:00
57 forum posts
1 photos

You can also use " Black to black" silicone spray, used to make fenders look new !! a quick spray in the fuel container will work.

Regards

Chris.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us