Forum sponsored by CML

HB 20

Request for information on HB20 silencer

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Michael Hickman05/08/2008 20:57:00
312 forum posts
8 photos
Hi AllJust read a new thread about finding a supplier for a silencer for an old Enya 09 from David Williams. I was wondering if any of you had any ideas where I could obtain a silencer for an old, but barely run in HB 20 I originally purchased back in the 70's. I know the mounting is unusual in that, if I remember correctly it had a single tapped whole in a bar across the port.Any help appreciated.Thanks

Mike

Colin Hostler14/08/2008 19:30:00
47 forum posts

Haytree`s in Devon, Mike. Tel. 01626852330.

Colin.

Michael Hickman26/08/2008 10:39:00
312 forum posts
8 photos
Hi Colin, many thanks, I'll give them a bell this afternoon. Mike
00126/08/2008 20:38:00
2212 forum posts
1 photos
Michael, if that fails, try mecoa.com in the U.S.A. I believe they have spares and still manufacture parts for HB engines.
Michael Hickman27/08/2008 10:23:00
312 forum posts
8 photos

Colin

I rang yesterday, very helpful lady answered, but was unsure if they had any left, and asked me to call back after the weekend (after they had a chance for a search).

Richard

Useful site, thank you. It indicates that there were two different models of muffler, and I will need to check if they can be interchanged as only the later model is available. Also, obviously the total cost will include international shipping.

Mike

Eric Bray28/08/2008 11:25:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos

HB, Hirtenberger, use a strap like a jubilee, around the back of the cylinder. If you clamp it down really tight, it crushed the cylinder, and if you didn't, It would vibrate loose, hence they kept falling off in flight!

The single screw-hole in the exhaust port was for a muffler butterfly - from before silencers! It was a small butterfly-shaped metal plate that coupled to the throttle arm and pivoted on the screw, so as the throttle opened, the exhaust port did, too!

Michael Hickman28/08/2008 15:23:00
312 forum posts
8 photos

Hi Eric

Thank you for your input about HB engines. I did find some details on the mecoa site (http://www.mecoa.com/hb/parts.htm) which would indicate a possible confusion between HP (Hirtenberger Patrone) & HB (Helmut Bernhardt).

However there are more than one model of HB 20, as I have seen photos of some with a single fixed tapped section in the centre of the exhaust port, where as mine has a black machined "bridge" inserted between the two holes either side of the exhaust stub. It may be that my model is earlier or later?

many thanks

Mike

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
CML
Addlestone Models
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Cambridge Gliding Club
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us