Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Alternative to dope on Sig Koverall

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
CrashGordon19/11/2017 01:28:40
13 forum posts
4 photos

Hello! I'm looking to use Sig Koverall. I know Solartex is the king of fabric and all that, but I would like to explore this product. Major Stumbling Block: I live in a flat. Dope has a nostalgic aroma, but I think my Missus and fellow tenants do not share that view.

The ultimate goal is a reasonably fuel resistant, durable and nice looking finish. Is Deluxe Materials Eze-kote a viable alternative? Any suggestions?

Edited By William Gordon 1 on 19/11/2017 01:32:30

Manish Chandrayan19/11/2017 04:18:03
422 forum posts
56 photos
I have read that people have used Polycrilic. I have not used it but would love to hear what others use
Percy Verance19/11/2017 08:21:31
6622 forum posts
111 photos

De Luxe Materials Easy Dope......no smell and brushes wash out in water.

Graham R19/11/2017 22:38:42
280 forum posts
19 photos
Posted by William Gordon 1 on 19/11/2017 01:28:40:

Hello! I'm looking to use Sig Koverall. I know Solartex is the king of fabric and all that, but I would like to explore this product. Major Stumbling Block: I live in a flat. Dope has a nostalgic aroma, but I think my Missus and fellow tenants do not share that view.

The ultimate goal is a reasonably fuel resistant, durable and nice looking finish. Is Deluxe Materials Eze-kote a viable alternative? Any suggestions?

Edited By William Gordon 1 on 19/11/2017 01:32:30

I used Koverall on 1/4 scale motor glider(electric) and used Eze-kote cover-grip to stick it to the airframe and Eze-Kote to seal it. Be aware that you will probably need to apply at least 3 coats to seal it to make it airtight before applying any paint.

PatMc20/11/2017 11:33:08
3712 forum posts
476 photos

I recently used Wilko's water based varnish on the tissue covered fuselage of my Amigo glider. Worked fine, no odour, a fraction of the price of Eze-dope & Eze-kote.

NormB21/11/2017 21:38:53
57 forum posts
5 photos

I've used Ronseal water-based (I had some already - Wilko's is just as good). Also used it on Koverall on a cowl instead of fibreglass (hadn't got any to hand). Lots of coats needed to fill the weave, but results are smooth and tough.

Norm

CrashGordon22/11/2017 02:39:08
13 forum posts
4 photos

Thanks for all the input. Quick question: Could I use a light shot of primer filler and a quick scuff of very fine(320-400 grit) sandpaper after the second or even first coat? Help fill the weave in a bit faster? Just wondering.Hey Norm, what kind of plane is that? Gamecock? It looks more like a radial engined Sopwith Dolphin.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues