Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Engines - general questions.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
TartanMac17/09/2018 06:58:04
250 forum posts
157 photos

From what I have learned on this site I will replace castor with ML70 and EDL oils. Not sure about EDL2 or EDL3 but ML70 and EDL1 seem to be a perfect replacement for castor as they are high viscosity but synthetic. So no carbon residue or guming up. It seems that a low visc oil (like klotz) is not as desirable for a four stroke compared to a high visc oil for ultimate protection. This is the impression I have got on here reading what Jon from Laser engines has posted and others.

I did notice that my Chinese engines ran better on supaglow compared to Irvine fuel and I did think it was down to the Irvine stuff being thinner but my car engines seem a little more unstable temp wise on the Klotz oil so it could be that.

If I were you and was gonna try synthetic I would go with ML70 or EDL in four strokes.

robert chamberlain23/09/2018 04:38:48
112 forum posts

I have tried to E-mail Brian Winch (Wizard of Oz) several times about a question on my HP VT but the message keeps coming back as undeliverable . Any ideas about the correct address?

David Davis23/09/2018 06:33:44
3326 forum posts
575 photos
Posted by robert chamberlain on 23/09/2018 04:38:48:

I have tried to E-mail Brian Winch (Wizard of Oz) several times about a question on my HP VT but the message keeps coming back as undeliverable . Any ideas about the correct address?

What do you need to know about the HP VT engines Robert? I've owned five of these and consider myself pretty knowledgeable.

Denis Watkins23/09/2018 08:17:46
3668 forum posts
173 photos
Posted by robert chamberlain on 17/09/2018 03:04:48:

Hello all, I read an article from "The oily hand" and his comments about caster in 4 strokes.. I have 2 HP-VT four stroke rotary valve engines which say to run caster to better seal the rotating valve assembly. Any thoughts on just going to synthetic instead?-----------------Bob

Well recommended on here Bob, ModelTechnics Laser 5 Fuel, which is synthetic

The industry evolved away from Castor fuel with good reason

Paul Marsh23/09/2018 10:09:52
3614 forum posts
1008 photos

Caster used to seal everything, including exhaust outlets, valve inlets and bearings... "The Good 'ole Days..."

David Davis23/09/2018 10:50:23
3326 forum posts
575 photos

I keep some Southern Modelcraft Double Hi Lube fuel especially for the HP VTs. I have three left, a 25 and two 49s and I'm thinking of selling the 49s.

However, if I knew that I was going to use these engines, I would not be averse to running one of the HP VTs on fuel made with synthetic oil. What's the worse that could happen? If a ring goes or if a piston seizes in the bore, spares are available from MECOA in the USA.

That said, the only time I've ever seized an engine in mid air was when I ran an HP VT 21 on ordinary fourstroke mix, 15% synthetic oil, 10%-15% nitro, but I could have been running the thing too lean!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
Gliders Distribution
Revoc
Motion RC
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us