By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Martyn's Dalotel

2018 MB effort (model no 1, there may not be a no.2)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Martyn K10/05/2018 09:09:18
5072 forum posts
3678 photos

Thanks Chris

Martin, there is a bit of final fettling on the rudder before it gets covered but its about right.It does have a clight bevel/curve on the rudder, the fin edge is square

Martyn

Martyn K24/05/2018 10:06:01
5072 forum posts
3678 photos

A bit more progress. For a mass build model this is taking an age...

Tailwheel

The fullsize had a piper cub tailwheel on an extended leaf spring like this.

tailwheel1.jpg

The pivot for the steerable tailwheel was at the end of the leafspring and steering was accomplished by using two springs back to the rudder. Just like a model I guess

I decided that I wasn't going to make it steerable, the pivot would be too small so settled for a fixed wheel but will put in a dummy steering mechanism

tailwheel2.jpg

Leafsping from a strip of brass with the 16swg piano wire 'leg' soldered on top. I'll fair it all in before painting.

tailwheel3.jpg

The springs will go to a dummy horn plugged into the fuselage

Cowl has been fun.

cowl4.jpg

The cowl blister has been added and also a joining strap using Danny's method of creating panel lines. There are some rivets (they could have been bolts on the prototype but the image was rather grainy).

cowl5.jpg

Not very clear. Sorry. The strap goes top and bottom but clearly interrupted by the engine and silencer

Holes now cut for the exhaust and rear vent (I am modelling the original incarnation of the prototype - the later one had a different exhaust arrangement). It will eventually have a couple of nice angle aluminium pipes coming through the lower holes

cowl6.jpg

Finally, the 'belly pan' under the wing has been built as well. Conveniently, the full size had a similar arrangement with joins in the same places (as far as I can see).

The cowl has just been painted with a little more hi build - hopefully it will get 2 pack this weekend and then I can cover the fuselage.

Still need to complete the cockpit detail, I want to try a couple of ideas for this.

More to come

Martyn

Paul C.24/05/2018 18:16:40
642 forum posts
159 photos

Coming along nicely Martyn some models just take an age to finish for some reason. Wasn't too keen on the dalotel originally but it is definatly growing on me, looking forward to seeing the end result.

Paul.

Martyn K25/05/2018 14:53:16
5072 forum posts
3678 photos

Thanks Paul.

If the weather remains lousy this weekend then it may get some Solartex applied..

However, I am *still* working on that cowl. It needs to be right.

I am trying to get it to the 'Stand Off Scale' standard where I can take it to a Scale Fly-in and hopefully it will be viewed as something just a little more than a sports model. I think that it's just a little too small to be a proper contest model but may fit in rather well with the new Light Scale class being promoted by the BMFA Scale Committee.

Martin McIntosh25/05/2018 19:50:01
3312 forum posts
1169 photos

Cannot help feeling that after going to all that trouble why you did not use it as a plug for a gf mould, or are you just not into that sort of thing?

I was wrong about the rudder shape, yours looks correct.

Ian Jones29/05/2018 13:49:40
3220 forum posts
1397 photos

Sunshine all around us, perhaps a bit draughty today though. Whatever the weather get the covering on, it's going to be a beauty,

Martyn K29/05/2018 13:57:27
5072 forum posts
3678 photos

LOL - thanks Ian.. Still didn't get it painted this weekend. Planning to paint the Foka and this at the same time so working getting the Foka ready for paint as well.

Martin - it's a one off and I certainly didn't expect to spend so much time on this. I have done some moulding in the past but I cant pretend that I have been very successful..

Martin McIntosh29/05/2018 15:51:02
3312 forum posts
1169 photos

All of mine, bar the Lanc. etc are one offs and nearly all of my models have a GRP cowl. It is indeed a lot of work and does not always go to plan but once the technique is sussed they are much more durable, light and give the maximum room inside. Not everybody`s cup of tea of course.

Martyn K29/05/2018 16:15:59
5072 forum posts
3678 photos

It is something that I must master Martin.. I always end up using too much resin or it pools while it is setting..

Nightflyer31/05/2018 13:20:25
201 forum posts

The DM165 always looked quite a smart aircraft augmented I guess in part by the colour scheme. It appealed to me some years back when RC Scale Aircraft Quarterly (if I remember correctly) did an article and free plan. I built one and powered it with a four stroke. With how electric has come on it might be good to find the plan and build an electric version.

I remember seeing the HP Dalotel once I think at Sandown one year.

Good luck with your build Martyn.

Martyn K01/06/2018 07:50:04
5072 forum posts
3678 photos

Thanks NF

I always thought it actually looked like a scaled up model aircraft.. Even the colour scheme is the sort of thing a modeller would go for..

Martyn

Martyn K28/06/2018 21:39:53
5072 forum posts
3678 photos
. I'll update the blog tomorrow when i have access to a proper keyboard. In the meantime, would anyone know if the Dalotel used rib tapes over the open structure? I can't see any in any of the photos but they are a bit on the old and grainy side.

Thanks

Martyn
Stuart Z28/06/2018 21:58:31
390 forum posts

Martyn

As you say, difficult to see any evidence in the photos, even the one here - **LINK**

Will anyone see this level of detail at this scale?

S

Martyn K28/06/2018 22:15:20
5072 forum posts
3678 photos
Although its quite a small model, its actually just less than 1/6 scale Stuart. They would definitely be visible. I am fairly sure they aren't used though but only coz i can't see them on any photo.
Stuart Z28/06/2018 22:23:37
390 forum posts

Martyn

Fair enough. Mine won’t have the same level of detail, but keeps me aware of what detail it won’t have. More “stand off scale” as it were.

S

Martyn K28/06/2018 22:24:54
5072 forum posts
3678 photos
I hadn't realised you were building one Stuart. Apologies
Stuart Z28/06/2018 22:27:13
390 forum posts

Martyn,

It’s next on the board. Just sorting a wing for a Magician. Fuselage already finished.

S

Martyn K29/06/2018 08:01:19
5072 forum posts
3678 photos

Its that time of year where maintenance has to take precedence over building. I have still got 3 models on the go but the Dalotel will definitely get finished first.

I eventually got to the state where I was happy with the cowl and its had a coat of white.

dsc_0511.jpg

Its the wrong shade of white but that will get fixed later. The step between the cowl and the fus is also a little large but there is nothing I can do about it now..

dsc_0512.jpg

I have also started detailing the cockpit areas, Its a shame the floor is so shallow, but again, nothing I can do about that either.

dsc_0513.jpg

Fuselage getting covered. It was at this point I realised I had ordered the wrong shade of Yellow Solartex. This is too light and even worse, its translucent so will need to be painted. Something I was hoping to avoid.

dsc_0514.jpg

There is a single 3mm wide stringer that runs down the length of the fus. It makes covering the fus quite tricky

dsc_0515.jpg

Basically, taking my time, I just got on with the covering. You can see the cowl is the wrong shade of white here. Not a problem, as the white solartex will have to be painted anyway.

dsc_0516.jpg

and

dsc_0517.jpg

The translucency is easily visible here.

A quick coat with rattle can yellow on the under surface of the tailplane does help though.

dsc_0518.jpg

So the next job is to get it masked up and painted..

Weight so far with radio gear and retracts but no engine is 1.6kg

More to come

Martyn

Peter Miller29/06/2018 08:21:21
10946 forum posts
1272 photos
10 articles

That is really nice. The weight sounds very reasonable too.

I would be surprised if it did not have rip tapes. On fabric covered aircraft the fabric is normally sewn to the ribs and the tape covers the stitches.

I seem to remember one or two aircraft where the fabric is held down with screws but I cannot be sure opf that.

Stuart Z29/06/2018 09:07:50
390 forum posts

Martyn

Staying tuned as interested in the painting process. You’ve used rattle cans so far, was wondering if spraying acrylic would give same effect?

S

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!