Spektrum iX12

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Steve J08/12/2017 12:09:31
1010 forum posts
37 photos

A new transmitter from Spektrum -

**LINK**

Android colour touchscreen and a serial output for third party RF modules.

Steve

Edited By Steve J on 08/12/2017 12:09:44

Capt Kremen08/12/2017 17:29:36
260 forum posts
63 photos

Mmm ... 'Totally A-W-E SUM' !!!

Aren't we recommended to keep mobiles and other strong receiving/transmitting equipment away from our Txs and not put them both in the same box(?)

99.9% of 'The Last Of The Summer Wine' lads of my acquaintance just want to fly 'airyplanes not browse the net, faceblock or whatever.

SONNY MONKS08/12/2017 19:00:15
269 forum posts

i wonder how many of them will end up failing lol!

Edited By SONNY MONKS on 08/12/2017 19:27:23

Percy Verance08/12/2017 19:28:40
7812 forum posts
150 photos

That may not be an issue SONNY, as the biggest problem, given the present HH stock situation, may be actually acquiring one..............

SONNY MONKS08/12/2017 19:44:39
269 forum posts

Fair comment percy,we will just have to wait and see how they sell,and how many are sent back through faults.i have a DX6,main board went on it after four months,took six weeks before i got it back lol! poor customer service....

FlyinBrian08/12/2017 20:06:41
504 forum posts

Also remember that in Europe they will be DSMX only!

Paul Marsh09/12/2017 10:10:53
3582 forum posts
997 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 08/12/2017 19:28:40:

That may not be an issue SONNY, as the biggest problem, given the present HH stock situation, may be actually acquiring one..............

Yeah, I thought that, I haven't bought any HH stuff for 2 years, their loss. If it's not available, you can't get it, i suppose.

Looks like HH are doing a "U" turn, probably saw their profits go through the floor and wondered why. Too late, I'm not buying it, owing to the reports on social media of atrocious customer service and non-existent products...

Buy a Horus instead, it's about the same idea, but far better.

Denis Watkins09/12/2017 10:38:47
3559 forum posts
166 photos

I think the logic from Horizon Hobby is that there is at least one " high end user " in every club

So there is a sufficient market

And they make a clear point that lessons from then past have been learned

This is just a balanced view of events from my experience

Mowerman09/12/2017 11:35:25
1530 forum posts
105 photos

Music as you fly, Why?

It seems that many people today are not able to do any thing without some drug addled pop star screaming in their ears or another spouting rap cos he can't sing for ??This will mean that even with a quiet electric model they will not be able to hear when the motor stops.

teeth

Steve J09/12/2017 11:54:25
1010 forum posts
37 photos
Posted by Denis Watkins on 09/12/2017 10:38:47:

I think the logic from Horizon Hobby is that there is at least one " high end user " in every club

This isn't Spektrum's high end radio. That is the DX20. This sits just above the DX9. Which begs the question as to why they released the DX20 and didn't wait until they could release an iX20.

I must admit to being confused by this radio. The target market seems to be FPV, multirotors and other UAVs with flight controllers, so maybe it is primarily for the commercial side.

I wonder if we will see a DX9G2 with a serial port in the near future...

Steve

Denis Watkins09/12/2017 12:26:11
3559 forum posts
166 photos

Agree totally Steve,

I was just being polite with the high end title as we are in the £500 - £600 bracket with these Tx

And that is at least one members commitment in most clubs

This comes, in the gizmos/gadgets area in my view, beyond my needs

Devcon109/12/2017 12:32:58
1346 forum posts
475 photos

It seems quite a departure for Spektrum who, to me, are on the backfoot in the "radio race".

I clear!y haven't got it but are there really people out there who would pay around £1,200.00 for a Dx20?

Then Spektrum bring out which, to be fair, looks a much better radio at a very different price point although it still lacks hall sensor gimbals let alone digital ones and I'm not convinced about a touch screen yet.

Is it safe to assume this radio is an attempt to stop the FrSky Horus leakage ?

Might have been interested a couple of years ago but converted to Frsky and never looked back, a Horus X10S scheduled for Christmas.

john stones 109/12/2017 14:14:03
10273 forum posts
1475 photos

People will pay £12.000 for a tx, some will love it, you can text your mate whilst you fly, take a selfie, listen the Glen Miller band, most modellers are Old they're full of angina/arthritus/pain killer tablets, we are the drug addled. crook

Former Member09/12/2017 14:27:01

[This posting has been removed]

Frank Skilbeck09/12/2017 15:54:50
4340 forum posts
101 photos

While we all poo poo facebook and music on this Tx we are missing the main appeal of the Android system, this will apply to those who use flight controllers as they will be able to program their onboard devices from their Tx rather than taking a laptop or using a smart phone. Flight control developers will be able write standard Android app that will work on a tablet/phone or this Tx. Maybe that's why they released it as a mid range 12 channel Tx initially as this market doesn't have the need for 20 channels.

Just think what a boon this will be to model reviewers too, they will be able to write their review immediately after landing, it should become a standard RCME reviewers Tx wink

Ronaldo09/12/2017 16:59:04
224 forum posts
17 photos

Looks nice but not for me. My DX20 will be the last Spektrum Tx I buy. I like the DX20 a lot and it feels good, but after the re-call, the 2 months wait and a lot of calls to them from my UK supplier to get it back from Germany, even then when it was returned I had to fix some internal issues with the Tx myself that the engineer had missed, as I was not prepared to send it back to HH Germany again and wait another couple of months for its return. ( Remember this was a high end Tx that cost over a grand ! ) Thankfully I know my way around inside Spektrum Tx's as I have used them for years with no probs but since HH moved all servicing to Germany they have let themselves and their customers down a lot. I still fly with my present Spektrum gear, but for any new stuff they bring out I have now lost confidence in them.

Percy Verance09/12/2017 18:36:36
7812 forum posts
150 photos

Given the problems/issues you've had are not uncommon Ronaldo, it may well be less likely that HH will be able to convince potential buyers of high-end gear to remain with the Spektrum brand in future, particularly with strong competition from the likes of Jeti, Multiplex and Powerbox with their new top drawer offering.......

Time will tell.......

Paul Marsh09/12/2017 18:44:17
3582 forum posts
997 photos

I wont be buying more Spektrum radios. I have 2 Dx6s, a DX8, 9 and 18QQ and have enough model memories to keep me going, but after the HH debarcle, won't be buying another either.

It looks a nice set, although perfectly happy with my radios, just what happened has put me off.

Was about to get the DX20 when it came out, then got recalled, then the shoot in the foot approach to their marketing.

Percy Verance09/12/2017 18:47:12
7812 forum posts
150 photos

Personally, I think HH could well be limping for some considerable time........... even if they successfully remove the bullet.

I couldn't help but notice a couple of Jeti sets are being used by flyers not too far from me. Sure, they're a hefty financial committment, but if you're seriously into the hobby (sport?) then perhaps £1500+ for a tx which is going to give you 10 or more years of solid service isn't that bad.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 09/12/2017 18:51:55

Don Fry09/12/2017 19:27:29
3388 forum posts
40 photos

Percy, thank you, but you are banging on about three brands which account for a few percent of the market, have always accounted for a few percent of the market, and that is a fair predictor of future performance. Not absolute but as good a predictor as any.

And you must have some serious aircraft to think £1500 is justified for the TX.

By the way, this post is about the merits of one transmitter, which I will not be buying. It is not a post where it is the target of those who have not used this brand, and will never use this brand, because it is not the brand you have stuck with for 40 years.

Rant over.

All Topics | Latest Posts

This thread is closed.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Motion RC
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us