Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Geoff's DB DH60 Moth

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Geoff Sleath23/05/2018 21:04:29
2915 forum posts
242 photos

Thanks, Peter. I'll give that a try. I did a search for 10mm plastic tube on eBay and this stuff came up at about 2 quid/metre. I had thought of trying to get some Serabend from somewhere but I'll see if I can find some silicone tube in my junk drawer.

Geoff

Martian25/05/2018 19:36:34
1964 forum posts
934 photos

Hi Geoff try blocking one end of plastic tube filling with sand then block the other end heat with heat gun bend to shape when cool open up and the sand will run out

Gordon Whitehead 126/05/2018 21:46:08
255 forum posts
121 photos

Hi Geoff, I had the same problem to solve when I built my Hawker Demon. I made the zig-zagged exhaust pipes from balsa sanded round as explained on this plan in the diagram just in front of the fin :

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_files_06/6269/Hawker_Demon_RCM_757_oz6269.pdf

I probably then sanding-sealed them and covered them in tissue doped on with the sanding sealer.

The same thing could be achieved by laminating 1/16in x3/8in balsa strip, as often used for forming the outlines of wing tips and tail surfaces.

Kind regards

Gordon

Edited By Gordon Whitehead 1 on 26/05/2018 21:49:47

onetenor26/05/2018 22:49:26
1809 forum posts
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 24/02/2018 11:13:39:

Having seen yours, I wish I'd put mine further out. It's a better position both for keeping clear of the stitching and, being wider based for stability. I should have read your build thread more carefully

No building today. Got a load of stuff to organise for a swap meet. I keep building and I need to clear out planes and engines that I'll never use. I hope to get home with an empty car ... that's if I don't buy something myself - but Avice will be with me to keep her tight hold of the family purse strings devil

Can you expand on your first paragraph. "Put mine further out" What further out.?

Geoff

Geoff Sleath27/05/2018 01:19:30
2915 forum posts
242 photos

Thanks Martian and Gordon. Tha's two ideas to try

OT, the plywood hooks that hold the top wing in place at the front of the support platform are shown as near the centre on the DB drawings but they could be placed near the edge of the platform which would, arguably, make them a bit more stable. In practice the wing is very secure when the DB drawing is followed.

Geoff

Percy Verance27/05/2018 07:33:44
7051 forum posts
140 photos

Geoff

I felt the same way as you regarding the plywood hooks built into the top wing mount. In the end I just built it as per plan and never had a moment's bother. The Moth isn't going to - or at least shouldn't - endure violent aerobatics, so in the end I just put my faith in Boddo. If they're corretly done Geoff, the wing struts will lend sufficient stability to the structure as a whole once the top wing is bolted in place. I did drive some small woodscrews into the plywood hooks from the lower side of the plate they're mounted on though Geoff. I'll be doing the same when I get that far with the latest one.......

It's actually all coming flooding back, as the first time I did all this was in 1990 (the model in my header pic)........... The biggest difference this time is the huge improvement in the quality of the kit. I think that was down to Eddie Stocker when he ran DB, although Richard the new owner seems to be keeping up the reputation well enough as well as introducing some new ideas of his own ie: re-kitting the Tinker bipe. That model was a firm favourite of mine 40 years ago, and I still have two new unbuilt Micro Mold Tinker kits to go at! They'll need a few slight mods for electric, although the new version of the Tinker was re-done by Richard as an electric mode

tinker-x-2..........jpg

Edited By Percy Verance on 27/05/2018 07:51:40

Geoff Sleath27/05/2018 11:26:11
2915 forum posts
242 photos

PV: IIRC the latest drawing for the Moth shows wood screws as well as glue holding the the top wing hooks in place. In any case I did that and I'm quite confident the wing will stay in place in normal flight - even violent aerobatics!

Certainly Richard is keeping up the DB quality as did Eddie before him. I'm almost tempted to buy a new Gringo kit as my original one (and its builder!) are featured on the DB web site but as I have limited time I think I'll commit to building sport-scale models for anything other than very quick builds.

You seem to have a few kits in hand!

Geoff

Percy Verance27/05/2018 15:37:25
7051 forum posts
140 photos

I have 15 or so kits in my stash Geoff. Like the Tinkers, some go back a decade or four, others are slightly more recent. I have a couple of the old Skyways jobs which don't seem to have made it back into production with Mr Mason, the new owner. The Tinker bipe was always one of my favourites. Easy and simple to build, yet flying it provides plenty of pleasure. An aeromodelling gem if ever there was.

Oh, and I have a little bundle of DB kits too Geoff. All nice relaxing builds for long dark winters.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 27/05/2018 15:38:51

Jan Luethje10/07/2018 23:06:05
3 forum posts
3 photos

A really nice Moth that Geoff built! Mine is still far away from that point, although most of the kit-building is done. Still have to sort out all the scale details, before covering it.

Today I made the exhaust pipe you mentioned above. I went for some 6mm plastic tubes (probably PVC) from the hobby shop. Tried different, „recommended“ methods to bend it, but finally lost my patience and grabbed my blow torch. Just moved the tube with short and quick movements through the flame, and then it was really easy to bend it to shape. Ok, there were some minor kinks, but no problem to correct them with filler.

The thing will be glued to the dummy engine, I made out oft balsa, when everything is painted – and I’ll have to make a cut of course, where the cowl is ending.

Still not sure, how to fix the pipe at the fuselage. G-ELBV at Shuttleworth seems to have a kind of three-point-wire-attachment, but that looks rather flimsy for a park flyer …

20180710_225510.jpg

Edited By Jan Luethje on 10/07/2018 23:12:09

Geoff Sleath10/07/2018 23:40:42
2915 forum posts
242 photos

I'm afraid my Gypsy Moth is still exhaust pipeless, partly because I'm flying it so much. I must have had around 50 or 60 9/10 minute flights since I maidened it earlier this year (6 this afternoon!). Your pipe looks good. I'll have a go with the blow lamp and see if I can do as well. I really like your dummy engine as well.

It's the only model I'm flying right now as I'm frantically practising my chosen schedule for the scale flying only competition I'm foolishly intending to enter this coming Sunday. Those flights include well over 100 landings as each 10 minute flight includes at least 1 touch and go (not always perfect! The bottom wing is a bit scuffed from contact with our hard runway)

It handles a reasonable breeze quite well but it blew over after landing on one occasion this afternoon. Which I guess would be nil point if I do the same in the competition.

On my last flight, I noticed the top wing was a bit cockeyed and not parallel to the bottom one. On inspection the forward angled cabane struts had become detached from the cabane platform. They'd been quite tricky to fix in place when I built the model. I've now (this evening) drilled 2mm holes through the struts into the plywood platform edge and used cocktail sticks as dowels to hold them firmly in place as the 30 minute epoxy cures. The cabane feels quite rigid now and the wings should align perfectly as they did when I first built the Moth.

I'm also getting good 10 minute flights with capacity to spare in the 4AH 4S LiPos which more than adequate for my purposes.

Geoff

Jan Luethje12/07/2018 00:28:58
3 forum posts
3 photos

20180513_095421.jpgThanks Geoff, it was actually much easier to build that pipe than I had thought (not the dummy engine though: more than 40 pieces). I also figured out tonight, how to attach it to the fuselage. Just drilled three holes into the pipe, roughly where the attachments at the original are and glued hardwood dowels in. Then I drilled two 1mm holes into each dowel, so that I can fix short peaces of steel wire there. This will hopefully be solid enough and meet the look of the original sufficiently.

Regarding your cabane-experience: That’s exactly what I feared to happen in case of a nose over.

To prevent that, I glued small strips of hardwood around the corners, where the struts meet the platform and I glued wooden brackets underneath. In addition I bent thin white plastic strips (the stuff you use to seal a leaking drain) around the cabane struts and that piano wire, that is ment to stabilize the cabane and soaked the bindings with Expoxy. I hope that it looks somewhat better than the usual cord bindings after having painted it.

All that adds weight of course and isn’t very scale either. But as a wild flyer I’ll most likely have rough landings from time to time.

Good luck with your competition, that sounds really exciting! I don’t think, that we have something like that here, but regarding (historical) aviation and scale modeling, Britain seems to be a dream anyway.

My own efforts will come to a halt next week, as I’m going to travel to Farnborough – just to look, how the big b20180621_214750.jpgoys are doing. I'm eager to visit Stow Maries and Shuttleworth as well – may be later this year.smiley

Martian12/07/2018 13:41:59
1964 forum posts
934 photos
Posted by Geoff Sleath on 10/07/2018 23:40:42:

I'm afraid my Gypsy Moth is still exhaust pipeless, partly because I'm flying it so much. I must have had around 50 or 60 9/10 minute flights since I maidened it earlier this year (6 this afternoon!). Your pipe looks good. I'll have a go with the blow lamp and see if I can do as well. I really like your dummy engine as well.

It's the only model I'm flying right now as I'm frantically practising my chosen schedule for the scale flying only competition I'm foolishly intending to enter this coming Sunday. Those flights include well over 100 landings as each 10 minute flight includes at least 1 touch and go (not always perfect! The bottom wing is a bit scuffed from contact with our hard runway)

It handles a reasonable breeze quite well but it blew over after landing on one occasion this afternoon. Which I guess would be nil point if I do the same in the competition.

On my last flight, I noticed the top wing was a bit cockeyed and not parallel to the bottom one. On inspection the forward angled cabane struts had become detached from the cabane platform. They'd been quite tricky to fix in place when I built the model. I've now (this evening) drilled 2mm holes through the struts into the plywood platform edge and used cocktail sticks as dowels to hold them firmly in place as the 30 minute epoxy cures. The cabane feels quite rigid now and the wings should align perfectly as they did when I first built the Moth.

I'm also getting good 10 minute flights with capacity to spare in the 4AH 4S LiPos which more than adequate for my purposes.

Geoff

Hi Geoff if you want to avoid the possibility of kinks in the plastic tube fill a longer piece than you want with silver sand or salt and cap ends then heat gently then bend uncap tip out salt or sand job should be a good un

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Motion RC
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us