By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Greenacres MAC Fly Ins 2018

Ladies and gentlemen! Charge you LiPos and be ready to start your engines...

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Percy Verance13/05/2018 10:28:56
7098 forum posts
142 photos

Greenacres was a Fly-In I'd always meant to attend one day, but reading BEB's earlier post regarding it now seemingly heavily orientated towards 3D flying has put me off completely. I have zero interest in 3D flying, and simply find it a big turn off. Sorry, but there we are.

I think I'll stick with the Scale Weekend at Old Warden. Been going there since the 70's. Worth it for the Shuttleworth Collection alone, never mind the superb grass airstrip and the fantasic models being flown. Over the years at OW I've bumped into Mick Reeves, Don Coe, Neil Tidey, Brian Taylor, Dennis Bryant, Al (of Al's Hobbies) and Boddo. It's a fantastic place, and seen by many as the true home of the scale modeller.......the on site cafe serves decent grub too. And when you fancy a break from the model flying, go and take a look at the World's only remaining flying example of a Bristol Fighter, built in 1917....complete with it's Rolls Royce engine, which incidentally is the oldest Rolls Royce aero engine still flying anywhere in the world. Oh, and there's a genuine (ie: not a replica) Me 163 Komet tucked away in one of the hangars. You don't see those everyday........

If you fly, or have an interest in scale models, you owe it to yourself to go at least once. If you want to fly there you will of course need a "B" cert. I haven't flown there for a while myself, but the flying slots used to be 10 minutes. That said, back in the 70's and 80's the numbers booked in to fly were 300+..........

Edited By Percy Verance on 13/05/2018 10:53:21

Chris Bott - Moderator13/05/2018 10:53:55
6424 forum posts
1316 photos
1 articles
Well there are three Greenacres events a year Percy, so no excuse.
P.S. Each individual event is actually heavily oriented towards er.. whatever turns up.
Percy Verance13/05/2018 12:57:27
7098 forum posts
142 photos

Well no doubt I'll be considered a bit square Chris, but Greenacres doesn't sound like it's quite up my street. I like OW because it's more of a set piece. I'm familiar with (and can relate to) the type of models I'll see being flown. There are also free flight and control line scale models being flown. I used to fly control line before moving to radio. I don't suppose they have these at Greenacres? I guess that's what makes OW so popular wIth all manner of  aeromodellers. With the ever escalating cost of travel, it doesn't quite get the crowds of the 70's and 80's - they were numbered in their thousands - but it's still a well attended fly in. I've flown the Moth in my header pic at OW on several occasions over the years, the last time being 20 years ago. Although these days with arthritis starting to become a bit of an issue I'm less inclined to drive 200+ miles to events.

Still, you can't please everyone eh?

Edited By Percy Verance on 13/05/2018 13:18:31

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator13/05/2018 18:05:05
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Percy, with the greatest respect I think you have slightly missed my point here.

You see Greenacres was a great club flyer fly-in. Knowing what I do about your interests I think you would have liked it very much.

Then for a couple of years it did, in my opinion, lose its way and become too dominated by a small number of, admittedly very good, pilots flying 3D with larger petrol driven models. This, again in my opinion, intimidated many of the "standard" club flyers. The 3D flyers were never a big group - but they were an extremely active group with one or other of them flying almost constantly at one point.

BUT, reports like those of Chris' suggest that the fly-in has rediscovered its roots and what made it special. If that is so then its definitely one to go to for any average club flyer. As I say, at its best it was unmatchable - as a club-flyer's event. So I will almost certainly be "giving it another go" later in the year following these good reports. And recommend you consider the same.

BEB

Martin McIntosh13/05/2018 18:20:01
2591 forum posts
963 photos

I have voiced my opinion on here before about the small number of flyers constantly hovering and doing Harriers over the centre of the patch. You can scarcely hear yourself think over the brrm, brrm, brrm noise. Clever flying maybe but that inconsiderate lot spoil it for everyone else. These fly ins used to be the best to attend but mainly due to them I may not bother to go again. They were even flying quads through small hoops in the camping area.

john stones 113/05/2018 18:35:28
10036 forum posts
1472 photos

Hope you all get good weather n have a great weekend, best Club event I've ever attended, meet some nice folk there as well. hotyes

Tim Hooper13/05/2018 20:03:14
2839 forum posts
2357 photos

Just returned from one of the best Greenacres weekends ever!

I don't fly big 3D models. I don't fly jets. I DO fly club size electric models, and I've flown all weekend.

I had to wait a few minutes once of twice before I took off but that's par for the course.

My huge thanks to Jim and the guys and gals of the Greenacres club, for giving us all a memorable weekend of fun and flying in, probably, the best weather we've ever experienced there.

We'll be going again, that's for sure.

Tim

Lindsay Todd13/05/2018 22:03:58
1671 forum posts
1665 photos

Unfortunately missed out on this weekends Greenacre's as it is a favourite, I have never really experienced any problems at past events but glad to here the weekend had been successful and will certainly be at the next.

Brian Cooper14/05/2018 07:47:11
366 forum posts
17 photos

I had a great weekend at Greenacres. The weather was fabulous, and the sky was never empty.

The queuing system worked well, and a good time was had by all. It was all very relaxed and laid back.

The 3D lads had their slots -- and their skills were superb -- and everyone else had plenty of flying time too.

Many thanks to the Greenacres lads for organising these great events. yes

B.C.

Martin McIntosh14/05/2018 08:41:04
2591 forum posts
963 photos

Well the slots are certainly good news since of course different model types/flying styles do not often go together.

Many people I have spoken to in previous years complained about the close in 3D flying popping up at any old time.

Glad that the weekend went well for all. Could not have gone anyway because it clashed with the first local club event of the year.

Bob Cotsford14/05/2018 10:03:00
7578 forum posts
427 photos

I didn't go last year but before that I can't say that I found the 3D models much of a problem. If anything I found the various large scale and solo slots to be more of an interruption to flying what and when you want. If anything watching the likes of Andy Ellison making a giant Decathlon do daft things it shouldn't have been capable of was just pure joy - absolutely hilarious.

Jim Mchugh14/05/2018 10:27:22
113 forum posts
6 photos

Thanks to Chris, Tim, Brian et al for your positive words.

Special thanks to Brian for putting on so many kids training flights. He must of done 20+ flights on both Saturday & Sunday, and all the "victims" thoroughly enjoyed their flights.

Next event is June 30th & July 1st.

Hope to see you there!

cymaz06/08/2018 04:53:20
7991 forum posts
1053 photos

Hope to go this weekend. If the forecast is to be believed then I won’t be making the trip up. Sorry Jim sad, I know how hard you all work to put it on.

Paul Marsh10/08/2018 11:24:42
3397 forum posts
933 photos

Give out sunday as 100% chance of rain. not good...

Sat as 40%

Paul Marsh10/08/2018 12:21:44
3397 forum posts
933 photos

Sorry, i've decided to abort. just about ready to go, caravan on, then really chucking it down, and today was only 38% and its 100%, and this is the best day.

So, see you next year, shame summer didn't go on for one more weekend...

Martin McIntosh10/08/2018 15:17:01
2591 forum posts
963 photos

I was going to attend this one too but that wind and rain forecast has put me off.

Brian Cooper11/08/2018 06:33:18
366 forum posts
17 photos

The forecast for today (Saturday) is looking good. . Sunshine, warm and moderate winds. yes

I will be there.

ken anderson.11/08/2018 09:38:31
8226 forum posts
762 photos

weasel(Ronnie) is on site representing the north east of the colony...…. he's a great lad.....only problem you may have is you'll need an interpreter...have a great time everyone....regards to the greenacres lads... who I've met.

ken anderson...ne..1.... weasel PR dept.

Tim Hooper11/08/2018 23:16:29
2839 forum posts
2357 photos

I went as a day visitor today.

True not as many fliers as usual - the weather forecast saw to that, I think - but there were models in the air most of the time.

I suffered a bit of a loss when my HK Tiger Moth had a mid-air with Bri Cooper's Cub.

On the other hand, one of the regular attendees presented me with a pair of very usable diesel engines!

All in all, a super event as we've come to expect of the Greenacres team.

Timcool

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us