Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Recycle Petrol How?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Hamish24/12/2017 09:03:34
642 forum posts
47 photos

Unable to find any answer resulting in this post. Have recently converted a Saito 45,4# and ASP 61, 4# to petrol with Pegasus CDi ignition I am impressed by how easily the engines start and run but at the moment only test bench. The Satio is in an old cub ready for a test flight, weather permitting.

I notice that the petrol remaining in the fuel tank is very discoloured due to the exhaust pressure feed. Obviously the engines run on this fuel but on completion of running I have contained this fuel in a separate container and not recycled.

Can I ask how you petrolheads deal with this? Not considering a separate pump even if available.

Engine Doctor24/12/2017 09:16:05
2267 forum posts
25 photos

You shouldn't be using exhaust pressure to the tank with petrol ! You are running a serious risk of fire as petrol exhaust is much hotter and pipe from exhaust can be damaged by heat and break down then the fire risk starts! Use a pump as all modern petrol engines do or just use normal carb suction to draw the fuel. 

Hamish24/12/2017 09:48:32
642 forum posts
47 photos

I thank you for the advice and suggestion.

From JE

"Plumbing the exhaust into the tank has been a question for many years from way back in the early 70's but I have never heard of an incident wherein a fuel tank exploded. Webra sell a 150 spark engine and it is supplied with muffler pressure so it is not a concern to them. The hot gas would not be a problem but carbon might be however, I would consider the chances in the

million to one odds maybe even better. Besides, methanol is not too slow igniting with a hot glow look at glow plugs and we have been pumping hot gas into methanol for a long time. I would be prepared to say not a problem."

Its how I recycle fuel or just run dry?

Ultymate24/12/2017 10:05:56
1693 forum posts
57 photos

The only way I can see you not using exhaust pressure is to go to an electric pump like this Pump. I am of course assuming you've tried running your engine without pressure. The above pumps do work as a friend of mine has one on a inline 4 cylinder OS that he converted to petrol. Sadly the carbs fitted to glow engines are little more than dripping taps

Hamish24/12/2017 10:23:17
642 forum posts
47 photos

Gave the ASP a run without pressure feed and it appears to be running ok so thanks for that suggestion. Have yet to tweak this engine so further experimenting worth it. I will more than likely take the million to one chance rather than an extra £35+ for a pump on an experimental project. Will drain tank into a separate container and reuse on next fill up rather than contaminate good fuel. Thanks all for advice.

Bob Cotsford24/12/2017 13:23:30
7923 forum posts
436 photos

If you are using a felt clunk, as is generally advised for petrol, you might be best leaving some petrol in the tank to stop the filter drying out and crumbling.

Hamish24/12/2017 13:47:25
642 forum posts
47 photos

Thanks Bob, it is a felt clunk so will take your advice which really answers the whole question of how to recycle fuel.

Rich too26/12/2017 09:18:56
2937 forum posts
1049 photos

I agree, but felt clunk or not, you shouldn’t drain the fuel. Any rubber parts in the system will dry out..

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Addlestone Models
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us