By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Buying Ether

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
onetenor28/12/2017 16:28:25
1884 forum posts

Hi Guys 'n Gals I need your knowledge again . I'm trying to buy a couple of litres of ether at as reasonable a price as possible. I'm stymied at every turn. or so it seems. I'm either told "Sorry we do not despatch to private addresses" or What is your "Licence/Permit number " I have been lead to believe that a permit or similar can be obtained from HMRC. I have been passed from pillar to post by them and got no further . With one exception that one guy said "I don't think you need one. But that's my personal opinion. ( it's as bad as trying to obtain refund of postal charges / duty from them but that's another story angry.) The point is does anyone know 1) do I need a licence/pass 2) If not where is the cheapest place to buy it from? Mineral Waters on E Bay / Amazon sell it apparently to individuals but it is pricey although the more you buy the cheaper per litre it becomes..can anybody advise on any of this. Also where to buy one of the boosters. Amyl Nitrate/Nitrite or is it a sex shop buy ? Any advice welcome. Thanks in anticipation. John Mantova

simon barr28/12/2017 16:48:45
1020 forum posts
11 photos

I take it it is to add to / mix up some diesel fuel.

I don't know if it's still available over the counter, but you used to be able to buy ether from the chemist.

May be worth a try.

bert baker28/12/2017 16:49:52
1261 forum posts
273 photos

I purchased my last two tins from Ashford Models supplies, prior to that I got two tins from the BMFA Nationals.

I went to one shop a few years back and was told the local rep can bring it to the shop as and when he is passing,

They won't post it.

Where in the world are you

bert baker28/12/2017 16:53:08
1261 forum posts
273 photos

Modeltechics Easy start is what I normally purchase

Robin Colbourne28/12/2017 17:15:49
396 forum posts
4 photos

Hi John,

Southern Modelcraft list diethyl ether for collection only (from them or the shows they attend) at £25 per 1/2 gallon. They also do a diesel additive at £7 for 500ml.

**LINK**

Model Technics don't appear to list ether separately.

Commercial suppliers appear only to deliver to commercial addresses, so you may need to speak to a friendly business owner if you need it delivered.

I have heard of people emptying the contents of an Easystart can into their stale fuel and using that.

Good luck!

Robin

Edited By Steve Hargreaves - Moderator on 28/12/2017 18:23:50

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator28/12/2017 18:25:12
6689 forum posts
185 photos

Posts combined to make one thread & second thread deleted.....

bert baker28/12/2017 19:24:22
1261 forum posts
273 photos

Have you given your local model shop a chance to order - get some for you

Stuphedd28/12/2017 20:24:53
616 forum posts
320 photos

The last ether I have bought has been from Southern , I normally drop them an email so they bring me a 1/2 gallon to an air show , for me normally Weston and Cosford , and a gallon lasts me the year .

Or get a mate who is going to any show that Southern attend to pick it up for you ,

Works for me !!

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
electricwingman 2017
CML
Revoc
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us