Chris's Vicomte 1916

... aka the Baron 1914 or the Svenson Vicomte 1915

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Robert Parker11/01/2018 22:29:19
776 forum posts
1047 photos

Hi Chris,

Just read through your build blog, certainly an interesting project and some excellent cut parts.

Watching with interest.

By the way I would go for ailerons, based on personal experience. I recently built a Etrich Taube by Balsa USA, this was my first three channel model in nearly 20 years, took a bit of getting used to, I ended up coupling the rudder and aileron channels so both work the rudder just to aid the old mind, and a few hairy take offs, now I'm used to her traits and she is great for those calm summer days and gentle flying, if I can remember that far back.

dsc05728 (800x533).jpg

Regards

Robert

McG 696912/01/2018 19:40:45
2125 forum posts
901 photos

Thank you both.

I’m really impressed by the kit as well, Andy. Very nice work that JVM delivered indeed. And even if it’s not really your ‘cup of tea’, please just pay a visit once in a while. yes

It’s certainly not a model as ‘interesting’ as your mega Dornier, Robert. angel

But then - as a first one for me - I just have to make a prudent start with ‘balsa bashing’, I guess.

Regarding 2 or 3 axis - funny that you RC guys call it 3 or 4 channels - the main idea was to have some kind of revival of the Svenson kit of the seventies. Well, at least, that was the original aim of José and his friends.

Of course there are a lot of 'more recent improvements' to integrate. But, if I build a 4 channel first, I’ll probably never go back to a 3 channel. As I answered to Martyn, “let’s walk first before running”. The standard wing is less complicated to build as a first one but I’ll surely go to an aileron wing as well. Or just maybe I’ll build another Vicomte with the experience of my first one.

Also for me, the main thing is ‘building’ at this time, not flying. Since last late summer I only had a few ‘buddy flights’ with the instructor, so projectively, flying the Vicomte will have to wait, I’m afraid.

On a side note my Volantex Trainstar trainer is still in perfect condition. wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Axis vs Channel Control

john stones 112/01/2018 19:51:23
9593 forum posts
1428 photos

No wood being glued yet then ? here's me beavering away on mine n getting hurry ups. wink

John....where's gluing control.

Steven Shaw12/01/2018 22:19:40
222 forum posts
139 photos

Pretty sure Chris showed the building of the vertical tail in his Ballerina build blog.

McG 696913/01/2018 19:37:44
2125 forum posts
901 photos

No, John. Sorry but, no wooden bits from the kit glued yet.  blush

But don’t let that be a valid reason for you stopping “beavering away” with yours.

Yesss... Steven is absolutely right - one extra house point there - regarding the vertical fin and rudder but the bits I used then were from the scrap box, not from the kit.

When I used to have a spray solvent/foam issue with my Bella, I turned away from it by having a try with some balsa lamination as a few Ballerina builders had done as well.  

2174_fin__lamin_dry_900.jpg

A 6mm ply core, a few 2mm soaked balsa strips and a start made by using the ‘glue-less’ or 'wait for drying' method.

That choice was given by the fact that I wouldn’t glue the first balsa layer at first but to wait till the ribs were in too. That way, I can create a kind of ‘tenon & mortise’ joint instead of a standard butt joint.  yes

2183_fin_outlines_900.jpg

Following the red lines added to the drawing, I took the choice of using a triangulation for the ribs instead of the original parallel ones.

2192_fin_glued_900.jpg

… and finally, the tail bits waiting to be lifted from the board for a sanding session.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Lamination Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 13/01/2018 19:41:39

Robert Parker13/01/2018 19:45:48
776 forum posts
1047 photos

Hi Chris,

That's some impressive bending you've done there yes

Regards

Robert

McG 696914/01/2018 12:11:09
2125 forum posts
901 photos

Thank you Robert, but as the Vicomte really offers some 'huge' tailplanes, the bending really isn' t that "impressive".

In fact, I fully enjoyed to try it out and I'm looking forward to finally start to put the other wooden bits together.

Still a few things to organize and fix in La Grotte and I can have a go soon now.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Fix Control

McG 696914/01/2018 21:36:51
2125 forum posts
901 photos

Hello to all again,

I had a very productive session at La Grotte today, with the last preparations made to start the build.

The scrollsaw got reviewed, some basic tools received an 'update', some new ones were 'created' as well...

Some pics to follow tomorrow, so stay tuned , gents...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Upgrade Control

McG 696915/01/2018 19:31:11
2125 forum posts
901 photos

Hello everybody,

Here are a few of the improvements I made for La Grotte before starting the Vicomte build.

027_scrollsaw_900.jpg

Since the beginning of this ‘silly’ adventure, I had my scroll saw installed on the workbench, resulting in quite a lot of vibrations even with a cushion of felt layers at the bottom. So, I decided to make a separate wheeled caddie for it. Scrap wood, a tick cushion of Styro padded with parcel tape and a removable tablet held in place with (unglued) wooden dowels. When the grey top sheet with the saw is lifted away, a closed box appears (the depth of the clear planks) to become a ‘hidden’ vac-former when finalized. angel

032_sanding_ block_900.jpg

The ‘bench sanding device’ (?) was also modified to receive an adjustable ‘angle sander’ with basic settings for sanding at 30, 45 and 90°. yes

035_triangle_stock01_900.jpg

This ‘thingie’ is not supposed to get maiden or even glide, but it was real fun to assemble with some scrap ply and a styrene corner profile. question

039_triangle _stock02_900.jpg

… and this what it’s used for. Just to cut perfect triangles from a square piece of stock wood and it even works to bevel or to cut dowels lengthwise in half…

047_pins_cutters_900.jpg

I really got envious when reading build blogs from The Musketeers - aka The Real Balsa Bashers - regarding those splendid Graupner pins. Even at nearly a quarter of the price of the Vicomte kit, I had to break the bank. blush

I also gave my Scalpel #11 an update. Apologies to all those magnificent surgeons all over the planet and I’m very probably the only one in the world, but I always found that the scalpel wasn’t very comfortable to handle. So, a dowel half cut lengthwise on both sides of it (see the still unnamed ’thingie’ above) and a length of heatshrink tubing gave me a better ‘feeling’. I also added the black silicone ‘handle’ saved from a deceased ball pen. wink

Left are a few small bottles of glue to be filled and we - as Gaston is finally back from holidays - should be ready to go…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Progress Control

McG 696916/01/2018 19:24:54
2125 forum posts
901 photos

Hi to all,

An early decision was made to have some wood bashing at La Grotte today.

I started to prepare the bits for the horizontal stab as it seemed the ‘easiest’ part to start with. I sanded away the ‘carbonised balsa skin’ at the laser cuts and started to dry fit the bits.

But I had to leave for home early as I wasn’t really feeling fit. The LotH was already home from work with the same symptoms. A fever feeling, flu and coughing like hell - well in my case it sounds more like ‘barkling’.

We really are blessed with an exquisite climate here in BE, so apologies to all for not showing any wood bits.

Barkling matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Flu Control

McG 696923/01/2018 18:56:35
2125 forum posts
901 photos

Hello to anybody still out there,

Some of you might think I'm having some unplanned winter holidays somewhere between Chamonix and Grenoble, but unfortunately the truth is largely different.

After a week of being 'ground' at home with only a few short visits to the forum, I hope I will be able to get rid of those clamping flu symptoms soon now. indecision

I'm now really hankering to finally start that planned Vicomte build, but the one 'who knows with a white coat' insisted on waiting for a few days more. frown

I hope there will still be somebody around when I'll get back...

Waiting Matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR White Coat Control

Robert Parker23/01/2018 19:02:19
776 forum posts
1047 photos

I'm here Chris.

Get well soon

Regards

Robert

Paul C.23/01/2018 19:22:44
437 forum posts
110 photos

Never argue with folks in white coats or LotH they know best, get well soon a nice medicinal malt is always an option! winkcocktail

Paul.

john stones 124/01/2018 00:17:40
9593 forum posts
1428 photos

Men in white coats eh. surprise

Get well soon Chris. smiley

Paul C.24/01/2018 09:09:36
437 forum posts
110 photos

John are you referring to that little number by Napoleon XIV wink

David Davis24/01/2018 12:48:41
2958 forum posts
497 photos

No wish to hi-jack your thread Chris but,my application to participate in La Coupe Des Barons, ( The Barons' Cup) has been accepted.

**LINK**

This is a light-hearted competition consisting of the following:

1. A Concours d'Elegance or beauty competition.
2. A five-minute flight along with up to nine other Barons where the object is to hit 1 metre high balsa sticks poked into the ground. The more sticks you hit the more points you score.
3. A pylon race.
4. What the French call a "renard" meaning a fox. In this event a model tows a long paper streamer and your role is to cut the streamer with your propeller. Again up to nine more models may be in the sky at the same time.
5. A limbo event where you have to fly under a tape which is three metres above the ground.

The attrition rate is enormous and you are only allowed one model. indecision

I will have to build another wing as ailerons are banned. It's an event for three channel models only and my next job will be to order some wood and covering material. I may even change the engine and fit either an HB 21 or an Irvine 21. Both engines date from the 1970s and you get extra points for using a period engine. I have been awarded the competition number: 247 so will have to get that cut and placed on the fuselage.

There are still five places left if you fancy a go, mind you it is the other side of Grenoble!

McG 696924/01/2018 18:03:26
2125 forum posts
901 photos

Thank you all, gents.

I must admit your words of encouragement meant quite a lot to my future motivation.

I'm not such a great "malt" fan, I'm afraid, Paul. But I'll stick to grand'mum recipe of hot milk mixed with good ol' rum and a large spoon of honey... and then just waiting for them wanting "to take me away... haha" ...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Grog Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 24/01/2018 18:04:29

McG 696924/01/2018 18:23:59
2125 forum posts
901 photos

No problems, David... and you're not hi-jacking the thread at all.

I'm really glad for you that your application for La Coupe went through.

It must really be a great event with all those playful animations out there. I absolutely must visit it at least once in the future.

As for 'participating'... surprise thank you but I'm afraid I only have a couple of hesitating buddy-flights so far... and I even have to start building that poor Vicomte yet.

But, of course, keep in touch here with your wing modification and let us know later how it went for you. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR La Coupe Control

McG 696927/01/2018 18:25:03
2125 forum posts
901 photos

Hello to all,

As I have all the time I want - or preferably said ‘way too much’ - while waiting for recovery, I went on with some research regarding the powertrain to use for the Vicomte.

Here are some airframe specs first:

Wingspan = 1600mm; total length = 1060mm; total wing area = 47dm²; bare structure weight = +/- 800gr; expected final weight = 1800 > 1900gr. The latter must be quite theoretical as from the reviews I’ve been reading, the AUW was between 1900 up to… 2200gr. surprise

The original powertrain info from Svenson is for I/C only and states between 2,5 and 6cc.

I discovered that back in the seventies, Svenson used a Super Tigre 3,5cc and 8x4 propeller for their testing purposes, but unfortunately this is not very helpful to this newcomer.

As the Vicomte is supposed to be a slow WW1-ish monoplane, I would like to keep its behaviour in the same handling region instead of obtaining a ballistic type of model.

I thought of having about 250 to 300W would be plenty for slow circuits and low passes. I also would like to use a large prop, around 12” to give the bird a bit of a ‘presence’. indecision

So far, I came up with the following provisional set-up > motor 35-36 (or 35-42 if a bit more weight is needed up front), 900KV, prop 12x5 (or 6) on 3S 2450 > 3000 Lipo (again, depending on the weight needed).

If the previous makes me ready to be taken away by the ‘white coats’, please tell me. But anyhow all advices very welcomed. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Power Control

Iris Vieghe28/01/2018 08:36:06
61 forum posts
3 photos

Can't give you any advice on model building I'm afraid, but I do advice to take good care of yourself and try the soup I intend to cook for you...

Or maybe that's just what's holding you from eating? My lack of any serious cooking skills.frown

Anyhow, hope you get to feel better soon so you can show the gents here some more pictures of your wonderful work.

Hakuna matata

Iris

BE - BRU / Chicken soup support

Edited By Iris Vieghe on 28/01/2018 08:36:53

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Gliders Distribution
Overlander
Expo Tools 14 July
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues