Forum sponsored by CML

Chris's Vicomte 1916

... aka the Baron 1914 or the Svenson Vicomte 1915

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Paul C.13/08/2018 18:50:58
482 forum posts
112 photos

It's one of those things you either spot straight away or spend hours pulling your hair out wink

Paul.

McG 696913/08/2018 20:47:32
2342 forum posts
974 photos

Absolutely, Paul.

Well done.yes

Indeed there is a quite obvious 'disparity' between the two top root sheetings.

vicomte_contest_closeup.jpg

Above is a 'revealing' close-up, but I can't really figure out how such an accurate and neat modeller didn't spot his mishap before covering the wing. surprise

I guess I'll just have to wait a little longer before my own 'disasters' will appear... blush

Congrats again, Paul. But, please check your Vicky's build bookmark properly. wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Bookmark Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 13/08/2018 21:09:02

Paul C.13/08/2018 21:13:46
482 forum posts
112 photos

Hi Chris, I think I screwed up the bookmark while on holiday using my phone. Small screen big fingers , it was never going g to end well blush, all fixed now.

A wise man once told me that the only people who don't make mistakes are the ones that never do anything wink.

Paul.

McG 696914/08/2018 19:08:40
2342 forum posts
974 photos

Hello to all,

Nice progress with the second wing as it is ready now to be joined to the center section after the wing tip was added, sanded down to shape... and the bottom cap strips are now curing. cool

I prepared some jigs to check the dihedral but the one from the Svenson plan indicates 36mm at the internal rigging hard points while the Vicomte 1916 plan is showing a 75mm jig at the last perpendicular rib close to the wing tip… so, I decided to make both. surprise

I guess we’ll find out which one to use at the next La Grotte session… indecision

@ Paul > well, following your wise man words, as I’m still trying to do little ‘thingies’, I guess I must be prepared for ‘big mishaps’ now… angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Dihedral Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 14/08/2018 19:10:16

McG 696917/08/2018 18:55:03
2342 forum posts
974 photos

Hello again,

While I was adding bits of balsa to the second half wing, I easily could concentrate on some other parts while the Aliphatic was curing.

I attacked the shaping of the tailplanes with the ‘standard’ fin and rudder first as a testcase and then focusing on the laminated/triangulated similar parts to bring the LEs and TE to shape. angel

864_vic_fin-rudder_staining01.jpg

Since the spoofy test stab, I’ve been reconsidering my approach with a first layer of ‘lighter’ pigmented sand sealer (left in the pic) followed by a wash of darker brown (at the right).

I think this gives a more ‘natural’ vintage wood staining compared to the darker ‘uniform’ brown of the test piece.

Now to be honest, I have no idea how it will appear through the Natural Solartex. indecision

870_vic_fin-rudder_staing02.jpg

I also gave the nylon hinges a light coat of Chinese ink from the local craft store as this German brand is totally permanent and IMO it gives a more realistic result than the standard white plastic.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Stain Control

Steven Shaw17/08/2018 22:18:47
250 forum posts
145 photos

I agree about the white plastic Chris - I paint various fittings also.

tailwheel.jpg

McG 696918/08/2018 20:45:51
2342 forum posts
974 photos

Well Steven , glad to read I'm not the only 'detailist' around. cool yes

I'm convinced that if it's a simple or cheap improvement it's always worth considering it.

By the way, are you still planning a Vicomte build in some future days?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Detail Control

Steven Shaw19/08/2018 13:57:29
250 forum posts
145 photos

Hi - Yes it's still on the list. Right now I'm still working on my Grumpy Tigercub and I'm quite interested in the mini jets that will be in the fall special

McG 696919/08/2018 19:07:00
2342 forum posts
974 photos

Fine to read the Vicomte is still on your list, Steven. yes

I forgot about your Grumpy Tiger, but I hope it will give a bit of time to proceed with Vicky before your start. angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Vicomte Race Control

Dave Hess19/08/2018 20:49:09
200 forum posts
17 photos

I've just seen this, and it brought back many happy memories. I learnt to fly with one of those back in 1985. That was before we had flight stabilisation, and buddy boxes were something you read about but had never seen. Not that it mattered because the plane was just as stable as anything with flight stabilisation. It took off straight and true, but then I had about 10 minutes to learn to steer it enough to point it back at the landing strip. After the first flight, it was refuelled and back in the air within minutes. That was repeated for about 2 hours continuous until the batteries were going flat. By that time, I felt that I was a pretty competent flier, so I progressed to a Mini Super (48" Super 60), which was considerably more lively.

IIRC, I soon chucked the elastic rigging because I was more interested in its flying than its looks. I never crashed it, so I guess I must have given it to someone else to learn on minus the plastic machine gun, which I still have for some reason.

Here'a photo. It's a bit unclear because I photographed an old photo of it with my smartphone:

vicompte 1916.jpg

Edited By Dave Hess on 19/08/2018 21:06:57

McG 696920/08/2018 17:46:39
2342 forum posts
974 photos

Thank you for the nice epos, Dave.

So, in fact there were already some Vicomtes built in the UK.

I can remember Djaï from Dubai, Hamish building a scratch one recently and now you're the third. Unfortunately not really enough to make a squadron or organize a 'Coupe des Barons' as they do in France. wink

Following the look of your pilot, the decal at the aft fuselage and the fact that you removed the original "elastic rigging" makes me think that it was an original Svenson Vicomte. question

Did you build it yourself? or bought it constructed?

Thanks anyhow for your story and picture. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR History Control

McG 696920/08/2018 21:24:55
2342 forum posts
974 photos

... oops... I only realized it way too long after posting my earlier message. blush

Apologies to David Davis as he did build a Baron 1914, which is an early French cousin of the Belgian Vicomte.

But then, luckily for me, it was in 'la douce France' and not in the UK... angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Baron Control

McG 696921/08/2018 18:20:45
2342 forum posts
974 photos

Hello to all the Quiz Masters out there,

The tailplanes were not the only parts to get my attention while going on building the wing.

Here’s a pic of mostly scrap bits that I intend to use to 'construct' the next item for Vicky.

890_vic_quiz_2_900.jpg

Bits of thin birch ply and balsa, thicker balsa, poplar ply and balsa roundels in multiple thicknesses, bamboo barbeque skewers, scrap bits of inner rod, Q-tips, styrene rod and finally some copy and brown paper.

As this seems perfect for Vicky’s Summer Quiz #2, who will be the first visitor to guess what I’m about to build with these items? surprise question

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Bits Control

jrman21/08/2018 18:24:47
312 forum posts
3 photos

"Scale" engine.

Martian21/08/2018 18:44:22
1960 forum posts
934 photos

Machine gun

McG 696921/08/2018 19:04:33
2342 forum posts
974 photos

No sorry, jrman.

It isn't the engine, unfortunately.

I was thinking of a Gnome Monosoupape 7 cyl. radial to become Vicky's engine or 'dummy' motor. But I have still no clue how to reproduce those very thin cylinder cooling fins... blush

What makes you think about the machine gun, Martian??? indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Quiz Control

Martian21/08/2018 19:51:56
1960 forum posts
934 photos

I don't think there is anything else left for you to do unless of course it is some kind of cockpit details, But roundels bits of styrene, paper, small thin sheets of wood I don't know just looks like all the components needed to make one

McG 696922/08/2018 07:50:25
2342 forum posts
974 photos

Well, congratulations, Martian.

You’re absolutely right regarding the machine gun. yes cocktail

This was a bit of a short quiz of course. I’ll have to think about a lot more difficult questions next time.

I really didn’t like the original Baron/Vicomte machine gun with a strange shape that only existed in the designer’s imagination and which is also lacking some basic details. blush

I’ve been hesitating between a German Spandau and the half-Belgian (!) Lewis. I like the shape given by the cooling mantle of the Spandau but also the distinctive ammo case of the Lewis.

Hence, I decided to give birth to the Spanewis 0.30 (please, pronounce ‘Spann-éwis’!). surprise

spanwis_machinegun_900.jpg

The general shape was planned together with the measures of the different components but obviously some last-minute-mods are going to creep in ‘on the go’. angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR Hesitation Control

McG 696923/08/2018 19:57:00
2342 forum posts
974 photos

Hi again,

Vicky’s wing might from now on be considered as one single item. yes

There was only a tiny bit over 1mm difference between José’s and the Svenson dihedral jig when I got the wing in position.

The Vicomte’s 1916 one being a tiny bit less, I went for that one. As it is very close to the wing tip, the distance to the center section is larger and that is supposed to help with the desired precision.

So I must have something like 5,94° of dihedral now… wink

880_vic_wingjoining01_900.jpg

I just had a light sanding to do at the bottom and repeated the exercise for the top sheeting as well.

889_vic_wingjoining02_900.jpg

A final fine sanding will be done just before the wood sealing and tainting but I guess the best is to bring the wing into ‘storage’ as soon as I’ve finished the rear center top sheeting and the office for Pierre, the ‘driver’.

Besides the fact that this is my first balsa wing, Vicky’s one with its 1600mm span suddenly appears like a ‘big’ single item… surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BE - BRU / CTR 6° Control

john stones 123/08/2018 20:02:38
9973 forum posts
1472 photos

Nice work Chris. yes

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CML
Airtek Hobbies
Motion RC
Expo Tools 14 July
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2018
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us