Forum sponsored by CML

S6r Rx downloads

Confusion

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
trebor18/01/2018 18:41:17
1710 forum posts
212 photos

I've had this S6r receiver for a while and used the program to adjust it on my old laptop, trouble is I had to replace the laptop as I lost some programs and now it looks as though there is more to download off the Frsky site which is leaving me confused. I have a Taranis x9d+ but looking at the firmware downloads there is 4 versions to chose from, on the tool downloads there is also 4 versions to chose from, could someone tell me which ones I need or do I need all versions ?

Andy4818/01/2018 19:03:47
1333 forum posts
1 photos

The best bet by far is to use the LUA scripts on your X9d (assuming you are using at least OpenTX 2.1 or 2.2) The downloads are actually a right faff. Go to the menu settings for the transmitter and the page that shows the contents of the SD card and there should be a folder S6R or SxR. If not you need to update OpenTX and the SD card contents.

You first want the config file LUAC. With the receiver on the bench preferably and hooked up to some power, first bind it, then open the LUA script and follow the instructions. Later with the receiver in the model you can alter the settings using the other LUA script.

This now works with any of the FrSky transmitters running OpenTX.

trebor18/01/2018 19:35:44
1710 forum posts
212 photos

Now your trying to confuse me more, I was just going to turn off the stabalized control and use it as a normal Rx.

Ron Gray18/01/2018 19:46:27
917 forum posts
231 photos

You just need the PC config tool and maybe the drivers for the usb STK tool

**LINK**

With the tool connected to the Rx you can just switch off stabilisation, that’s exactly what I’ve done.

Andy4818/01/2018 19:50:23
1333 forum posts
1 photos

sad

Nooo! Its really simple(ish). Just have a look on your tx, and also follow the instructions on the info sheet with the rx.

In any case, you don't have to turn the stabilisation off, just don't configure OpenTX to use it. However, if you use the LUA files they will free up the extra channels if required. Its well worth while having the stabilisation feature on though.

trebor18/01/2018 20:03:30
1710 forum posts
212 photos
Posted by Ron Gray on 18/01/2018 19:46:27:

**LINK**

With the tool connected to the Rx you can just switch off stabilisation, that’s exactly what I’ve done.

When I looked there are 4 versions do you know which one I need, the latest one or all of them ?

trebor18/01/2018 20:06:52
1710 forum posts
212 photos
Posted by Andy48 on 18/01/2018 19:50:23:

sad

Nooo! Its really simple(ish). Just have a look on your tx, and also follow the instructions on the info sheet with the rx

I will have a look but at the moment it feels more trouble than it's worth. crying where's the head banging smiley.

Ron Gray18/01/2018 20:19:55
917 forum posts
231 photos

Latest one, it takes all of 5 minutes to do it!

trebor18/01/2018 20:43:30
1710 forum posts
212 photos

yesyes

Andy4818/01/2018 20:45:24
1333 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Ron Gray on 18/01/2018 19:46:27:

**LINK**

That's what the LUA scripts do, only you don't need to use anything other than your transmitter.

trebor18/01/2018 20:58:29
1710 forum posts
212 photos

Can you give me the version numbers, on the S6r tool downloads there is 5 to choose.

Ron Gray18/01/2018 21:05:26
917 forum posts
231 photos

Ron Gray18/01/2018 22:37:10
917 forum posts
231 photos

Rather than me waffle on about how to do it, here is a YouTube vid:

**LINK**

You can ignore most of it but it shows where you switch on/off stabilisation. Like you, I just wanted the Rx to act like a standard one mainly because I needed a 6 channel Rx and that was the only one I had to hand. I will, however, be switching stab on at some point so then I will control it via the Tx where I can control the gain with a rotary or slider control.

trebor18/01/2018 22:49:54
1710 forum posts
212 photos

Cheers, I've done it before but it was a while ago and I've forgotten plus I'm sure there was no updates to confuse me.

Denis Watkins19/01/2018 08:06:11
2901 forum posts
141 photos
Posted by Ron Gray on 18/01/2018 22:37:10:

Rather than me waffle on about how to do it, here is a YouTube vid:

**LINK**

You can ignore most of it but it shows where you switch on/off stabilisation. Like you, I just wanted the Rx to act like a standard one mainly because I needed a 6 channel Rx and that was the only one I had to hand. I will, however, be switching stab on at some point so then I will control it via the Tx where I can control the gain with a rotary or slider control.

Whilst it is achievable to have control of the gain Ron, like an I/C motors needle tuning is usually near one place, there is a " sweet spot " with stabilisation which in reality is set quite low.

Point being, if it becomes difficult to Tx control the unit, manual control, set low is easily possible

Dave Bran19/01/2018 10:06:47
1892 forum posts
5 photos
Posted by trebor on 18/01/2018 18:41:17:

I have a Taranis x9d+ but looking at the firmware downloads there is 4 versions to chose from, on the tool downloads there is also 4 versions to chose from, could someone tell me which ones I need or do I need all versions ?

As with all FrSky (and other makes) firmware alterable receivers, the firmware they are running must pair (match) with the firmware version used in the Transmitter.

You have a Taranis, but what RF section firmware is it running?

Turn on, long press on Menu, then page to "Version" screen.

It could for example be on wordwide (also from history called FAA) or it could be on Euro or on Euro LBT (The current standard for UK). This apart from versions of each as each is updated to add features or eliminate bugs found in use. Yes, you want in principle the latest, but it has to be able to pair with the Tx.

If you don't want to update your Transmitter (and possibkly/probably any other receivers in use), check what version of firmware is being used in it, then match any Rx firmware to it.

It is not FrSky's fault they now have to provide differing versions for Europe than elsewhere. Legally, if you have pre-Euro in your Transmitter from before the Euro legislation dates you do not HAVE to change to Euro. Who would know or care is a differing matter!

Bob Cotsford19/01/2018 12:27:00
7320 forum posts
419 photos

I have one of these which I tried setting up using the LUA but I couldn't get knife edge etc to work, just stabilise. Has anyone come across this problem?

edit - I've just found a post on RCG explaining that knife edge only works for one way, eg left to right,  I must have been trying it out the wrong way which is why the servos go to one extreme as the receiver tries to reverse the KE.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 19/01/2018 12:44:56

Andy4819/01/2018 13:49:06
1333 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Dave Bran on 19/01/2018 10:06:47:

You have a Taranis, but what RF section firmware is it running?

Turn on, long press on Menu, then page to "Version" screen.

It could for example be on wordwide (also from history called FAA) or it could be on Euro or on Euro LBT (The current standard for UK). This apart from versions of each as each is updated to add features or eliminate bugs found in use. Yes, you want in principle the latest, but it has to be able to pair with the Tx.

I've just checked, and as I thought, this doesn't tell you whether you are running EU fiirmware on not, it only tells you the version of OpenTX, and as far as the receiver is concerned, the OpenTX version does not matter.

trebor19/01/2018 18:25:31
1710 forum posts
212 photos

I keep putting it off, I'm finding other jobs to do first. I ment to do it last night but unless I'm in the right mood it will end badly.

Andy4819/01/2018 18:50:36
1333 forum posts
1 photos

Like I said, use the Tx to do this, no messing with versions or worrying about the EU/non EU firmware. No hooking up to the computer and remembering the right sequence. If it will see the receiver, job can be done in 2 minutes. If not then there is another problem which would need exploring anyway.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Motion RC
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Slec
Airtek Hobbies
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues