Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Electric Cars.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Bob Cotsford17/07/2019 10:32:17
7880 forum posts
433 photos

Was flying my leccy UltraStick yesterday and landing when I got bored. I was getting two flights per pack with 25% left over. My Wot 4 will go 20+ minutes with a mix of hooligan and tootling. 'Having' to land should be a thing of the past these days. The last time I was in that position was with my OS61SF powered Tornado that would just manage 7 minutes with reserve for ONE go-around. After that it got quieter than your average leccy model.

Back to cars - in hindsight, I now realise that the Mitsubishi PHEV would have been a better fit than the Kuga I went for. Nothing wrong with the Kuga, it's a fine car. It's just that a PHEV would fit my current needs and would eliminate the polution guilt. IWhy did I go with the Kuga? Concern with servicing, there's no Mitsubishi dealer withing 12 miles while Ford is just down the road.

I'm in the fortunate position of having off-road parking so charging wouldn't be a problem, but judging by the sheer volume of cars that I see parked on the roads overnight I'm very much in the minority. The streetlights are currently being replaced with low current ones (LED?) in my area but they don't appear to incorporate charge points.

Glyn4417/07/2019 11:22:26
696 forum posts
92 photos

Think your right Bob. Our street lamps have been replaced in the last year or so, both by the city and district councils. Neither incorporated charging points.

80% of houses (60) have two or more cars, so I see a problem if they all become “electrified” Shamefully five at my house. Think we’ll need a power station at the top of the road. Have every faith our leaders will sort it!

Nigel R17/07/2019 11:28:34
2935 forum posts
470 photos

"The last time I was in that position was with my OS61SF powered Tornado that would just manage 7 minutes with reserve for ONE go-around."

Must have been a small tank in there!? IIRC a 12oz would easily do a 10 minute flight with plenty to spare on the SF. I might be wrong - it's been a long while since I've flown an SF in anger.

FlyinFlynn17/07/2019 12:01:05
9 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 16/07/2019 21:27:28:

It appears that from 2020 ALL new build housing in the UK must have an EV charging point. It's been happening quite often with new builds in my area, but it is now to become law, along with all newly installed street lighting having integral charge points..

/www.driving.co.uk/news/new-homes-come-electric-car-charging-points/

Edited By Percy Verance on 16/07/2019 21:43:57

Not quite true. www.driving.co.uk are guilty of sloppy reporting. The actual 'The road to Zero' policy states -

". Ensuring the houses we build in the coming years are electric vehicle ready. It is our intention that all new homes, where appropriate, should have a chargepoint available. We plan to consult as soon as possible on introducing a requirement for chargepoint infrastructure for new dwellings in England where appropriate."

My emphasis.

So, like all government policy, there is a get out clause that you could drive a coach and horses through.

**LINK**

Edited By FlyinFlynn on 17/07/2019 12:08:35

Trevor Crook17/07/2019 14:20:31
825 forum posts
63 photos

You would have got a 5 year warranty with the Mitsubishi too, Bob. Local servicing does count for a lot though.

Bob Cotsford17/07/2019 14:56:17
7880 forum posts
433 photos
Posted by Nigel R on 17/07/2019 11:28:34:

"The last time I was in that position was with my OS61SF powered Tornado that would just manage 7 minutes with reserve for ONE go-around."

Must have been a small tank in there!? IIRC a 12oz would easily do a 10 minute flight with plenty to spare on the SF. I might be wrong - it's been a long while since I've flown an SF in anger.

Not with a full length pipe and turning a 12*10 prop it won't devil

Trevor, being on a Motability contract warranty length is academic for me.  I guess my previous 3 fault free and quite economical Ford diesels influenced my choice too.  Unfortunately the Kuga being a porky, non-aerodynamic tub means it's not a match for my previous Mondeos.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 17/07/2019 15:02:53

Rich too17/07/2019 15:04:46
2911 forum posts
1046 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 15/07/2019 13:46:55:

And at some point Keith, they will have to buy EV's, because there will be little else from which to choose. Although the 100% i.c. cut-off point is 2040 - which I personally feel will yet be brought forward - many car makers will have moved towards hybrid and pure electric drivetrains some time before then. Even the mighty BMW themselves anticipate electric cars to be taking 18 to 25% of the market by 2025, and they (BMW) are also considering moving the MINI over to being a 100% electric brand by 2030. There ought to be plenty to go round Keith..... wink I'd have my reservations regarding driving a BMW though.

And they must be a fairly tolerant bunch where you fly Keith. I club I used to fly with had a suggested maximum flight time of 10 minutes. Mind you, there were over a hundred members.

Edited By Percy Verance on 15/07/2019 14:18:16

As I said previous, this is not true, the ban does not include hybrids as far as I am aware. Do you know otherwise?

I have merely stated my opinion in this thread - time will tell - others on the EV bandwagon talk about it, like it is fact!

Nigel R17/07/2019 16:32:48
2935 forum posts
470 photos

"100% IC" in this case meaning "powered only by IC" I would guess.

Peter Christy17/07/2019 17:01:50
1487 forum posts

Interesting piece on the lunch time news (BBC TV) about new car charging points and range concerns holding back customers.

The piece was showing a new "supercharger" system being installed at a number of places, and claimed to be capable of charging a car in 10 minutes!

Unfortunately, there are no cars currently available capable of accepting a charge that fast! The man from Audi said they hoped to have one next year - at a price!

The people installing the chargers were quite gung-ho about it, claiming they hoped to have "around 40" installed in the UK by the end of next year.

There are more than 40 pumps within a 30 minute drive from me in rural Devon!

These chaps have a long way to go.......

--

Pete

Edited By Peter Christy on 17/07/2019 17:02:27

Percy Verance17/07/2019 18:32:29
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Peter

That's 40 sites with a number of chargers at each one, not simply 40 chargers Peter. And although the chargers are able to deliver very high current rates, they will also reduce the current to a safe level, appropriate to the vehicle connected to it. Peter there are several cars currently available which are able to take a higher charge rate than the present (50kw) maximum. Just to give you some scale here Peter, a charging station is presently under construction in Falkirk. It is to have 32 charging bays.......

Ionity ( the company in question) are aiming to place the rapid charge sites at various points on the main arterial UK road network, the result hopefully being that a rapid charge will be available at 75 mile intervals. 

Yes, of course there is some way to go. But we are after all just 10 years or so down the EV road........there are approximately 80 chargers per week being installed in the UK. Ten years at that rate ought to help a bit. 

And don't forget Peter, if you had an electric car you can charge it at home like 80% of EV owners do. You don't need to drive to a charger.

Edited By Percy Verance on 17/07/2019 19:04:26

Percy Verance17/07/2019 18:34:39
8109 forum posts
155 photos

It's extremely unlikely any car manufacturer will still be producing hybrids by 2040. Advances in battery technology will consign them to history way before then.

The Government haven't included hybrids in the 2040 ban, but the car makers will have moved away from any i.c. engine production before then. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 17/07/2019 18:53:52

Trevor Crook17/07/2019 22:03:53
825 forum posts
63 photos

Regarding the access to "refuelling" facilities, when I moved to the small town I live in in 1993, there were 4 petrol stations. Now there are none. It's a minimum 4 mile drive to get fuel. Now I appreciate that you normally fill up when on a journey, but I've noticed the number of filling stations has decreased substantially over the last 20-30 years. I'd love to do most of my refuelling at home, the time taken at public chargers wouldn't bother me as I would only have to use them occasionally - probably less than a dozen times a year with the sort of motoring I do, assuming one of the latest 250 mile plus EVs.

Everyone's motoring habits are different of course. And a new electric Hyundai would have cost double the amount I paid for my 6 month old petrol version. That will slowly change though.

Keith Miles 217/07/2019 22:59:02
165 forum posts
3 photos

Percy,

We have a club of some 70 odd members. It was about 90 last year. That said, it’s very rare to have more than a dozen at the field at any one time, usually consisting of the same core group of people. Quite a few we hardly ever see but are happy to receive their fees! We allow up to 6 aircraft at a time in the air, I have suffered four mid-air collisions, all when only two were airborne! And, yes, we are very tolerant with no time restrictions with several members flying electrically assisted gliders, sometimes for up to an hour!

When I learnt to fly, some 40 years ago, we flew from rough pasture, mostly high wingers without undercarriages and we either flew until the fuel ran out or killed the throttle when we got bored. And, yes, ALL landings were dead-stick and occasionally into cow pats!

So, if anyone with an electric powered version of a Wot4 (or similar) ever wants to challenge me to an endurance competition to try to prove that the former can beat the latter or is anywhere near equal, I would be more than happy to take up the challenge!

Same applies to an electric car versus a Ford Focus diesel!

Went to Duxford last Saturday. Filled up at my local station the night before. 205 miles round trip. Just over four hours driving. 73.1 m.p.g. recorded and I didn’t dawdle. Still had 66% “charge” left when I got back and never had to plan the trip around ensuring that I could find somewhere to plug it in!

😊

Rich too18/07/2019 06:43:12
2911 forum posts
1046 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 17/07/2019 18:34:39:

It's extremely unlikely any car manufacturer will still be producing hybrids by 2040. Advances in battery technology will consign them to history way before then.

The Government haven't included hybrids in the 2040 ban, but the car makers will have moved away from any i.c. engine production before then.

You know that for a fact Percy?

Rich too18/07/2019 06:43:52
2911 forum posts
1046 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 17/07/2019 19:59:25:
Posted by Percy Verance on 17/07/2019 18:34:39:

It's extremely unlikely ( unknown if) any car manufacturer will still be producing hybrids by 2040. Advances in battery technology will ( may) consign them to history way ( or not) before then.

The Government haven't included hybrids in the 2040 ban, but the car makers will ( may, possibly) have moved away from any i.c. engine production before then.

Paraphrased by Don Fry. Alterations in brackets. To supply a little balance.

yes

Tom Sharp 218/07/2019 22:34:32
3430 forum posts
17 photos

A relation of mine works for a large construction company, Amey. They have a choice of company cars, one of which is the BMW all electric.

fly-navy18/07/2019 23:54:10
392 forum posts
11 photos
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 17/07/2019 10:32:17:

Was flying my leccy UltraStick yesterday and landing when I got bored. I was getting two flights per pack with 25% left over. My Wot 4 will go 20+ minutes with a mix of hooligan and tootling. 'Having' to land should be a thing of the past these days. The last time I was in that position was with my OS61SF powered Tornado that would just manage 7 minutes with reserve for ONE go-around. After that it got quieter than your average leccy model.

Back to cars - in hindsight, I now realise that the Mitsubishi PHEV would have been a better fit than the Kuga I went for. Nothing wrong with the Kuga, it's a fine car. It's just that a PHEV would fit my current needs and would eliminate the polution guilt. IWhy did I go with the Kuga? Concern with servicing, there's no Mitsubishi dealer withing 12 miles while Ford is just down the road.

I'm in the fortunate position of having off-road parking so charging wouldn't be a problem, but judging by the sheer volume of cars that I see parked on the roads overnight I'm very much in the minority. The streetlights are currently being replaced with low current ones (LED?) in my area but they don't appear to incorporate charge points.

Fields at Bromsgrove not close Bob ?

John

Bob Cotsford19/07/2019 00:19:49
7880 forum posts
433 photos

John, it took me a minute to realize that you weren't asking about the NWMFC flying field blush. Bromsgrove is actually slightly further from me than Red Rose Mitsubishi, and much, much further than Bristol Street Ford in Shirley. Convenience won the day, though I have to admit I did find the bulk of the Outlander intimidating when I parked my then current Mondeo estate next to one. I've got another two years to run with the Kuga so it will be interesting to see what new developments appear in the showrooms by then. As my mileage is gradually reducing PHEVs will be top of my list unless medium size electric SUVs become available in the Motability lists. The way things are going Tesla 3s might be an available and practical option by then. As my models get smaller larger hatchbacks are coming into the picture but I don't see a WotsWot or Flair Se5a fitting into the Tesla saloon's boot.  Pity devil

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 19/07/2019 00:21:09

Rich too19/07/2019 06:32:26
2911 forum posts
1046 photos
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 18/07/2019 22:34:32:

A relation of mine works for a large construction company, Amey. They have a choice of company cars, one of which is the BMW all electric.

And?

The tax on company cars is changing again in 2020/21, the tax on very low emissions vehicles reduced substantially, and that always affects the market.

Percy Verance19/07/2019 06:34:27
8109 forum posts
155 photos

More News

Ionity have now opened their second 350kw capable charging station near Milton Keynes. There are four bays, each can deliver up to 350kw although vehicles requiring less charge rate can also be catered for. A further 350kw site is to open soon at Gretna Green.

Ionity have seemingly secured a further 30 UK sites so far, with more planned for the future.

Bob, the street light you referred to is being replaced  and isn't newly installed. It's the newly installed stuff that is to have charging capability.

Hybrids?

I'll say it again for those whom seem to be struggling with it. The vast majority ( as in most) hybrids seem only to be capable of travelling between 20 to 50 miles before the i.c. engine needs to kick in. This isn't the future. It's for now. They're a *stepping stone* fix for the time being. The concept will simply fade away because it'll become redundant. You think the huge car makers - VW, Ford etc - will continue to manufacture a relatively few petrol and diesel engines to keep a (by then) outdated concept rolling along? Everyone has a dream I guess. Of course spares may well still be available, so if you fancy building your own in a shed you could go that route.

And why on earth is Don Fry still visiting this thread? He quite clearly stated weeks ago he was out of here.  I don't see his posts as he's on my ignore list.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/07/2019 06:49:04

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/07/2019 06:51:57

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us