Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Electric Cars.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Rich too19/07/2019 06:51:57
2901 forum posts
1046 photos

As I asked before Percy, this is all fact that you are quoting, right?

I have stated my mere humble opinion on what I see happening. You, however, do not seem to respect that other people have opinions.

We've all got one - that is fact!

Rich too19/07/2019 06:53:11
2901 forum posts
1046 photos

**LINK**

Rich too19/07/2019 06:55:18
2901 forum posts
1046 photos

And I am a fan btw. I already stated I was blown away by the performance of my friends Tesla. And I would probably buy an electric m/bike for commuting, if they weren't so ridiculously expensive.

Ron Gray19/07/2019 07:00:42
1424 forum posts
358 photos

Whilst I agree that all electric is the future, the infrastructure to support it, ie rapid charging stations, isn’t in place and, imo, won’t be for another 5 years. I live in Norfolk and when I did a check on charging stations near me, my local town had none, the next town had 2, in fact I would have to go to Norwich to guarantee a choice! So, in the end, I’ve gone with a hybrid, which although only gives 40 miles on battery, I know I won’t run out. I should add that I don’t just need the car for local journeys, I also need it for 3 hour business trips. In 5 years time, if the infrastructure is in place that doesn’t mean queuing at a charging point, them I’ll probably go total electric.

Don Fry19/07/2019 08:32:20
3724 forum posts
42 photos

Like a lady, I changed my mind, Percy.

Denis Watkins19/07/2019 08:56:40
3723 forum posts
177 photos

I will do my best with this explanation from a heavy fuel user.

My local taxi business owner; and you can imagine the short routes and high mileages.

He runs all four, petrol, diesel, hybrid and electric.

His business plan is On cars working for 5 years, based on buying each car new, outright

His findings over these last twenty four months have found

It has taken 18 months to justify New Price of the Hybrid, that then costs less to run than diesel or petrol

And the all electric, just over 12 months to beat the other 3 to being most economic.

Of course, these cars reduce emissions, and his big advantage is the electric car is never far from home base

Edited By Denis Watkins on 19/07/2019 08:57:37

Nigel R19/07/2019 10:05:55
2920 forum posts
470 photos

He sounds an ideal user of electric motive power Denis. A standard bearer, even.

Keith Miles 219/07/2019 11:16:36
145 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Nigel R on 19/07/2019 10:05:55:

He sounds an ideal user of electric motive power Denis. A standard bearer, even.

A standard bearer who is, presumably, still keeping his petrol and diesel vehicles for the time being?

I wonder which ones he prioritises for short journeys and which for the longer journeys?

Don Fry19/07/2019 11:22:22
3724 forum posts
42 photos

In fairness Keith, that's the point of electric at the moment, simple build, no fuel duty, subsidised purchase. No brainer if you can fit it into your business model.

Bob Cotsford19/07/2019 12:42:38
7870 forum posts
433 photos

Ok Percy, that explains it. Unfortunately the problem is that the majority of the population will likely live for the next century in existing estates where there will be no call for new lampost installation so only a minority will benefit from lampost charging. Housing estates live for up to a hundred years before total regeneration takes place so for most of us infrastructure progress will be slow and costly.

As for hybrids being a stepping stone, I can only agree. However that stepping stone will probably outlast my future driving expectations as my turnover of cars mean that another one or two will likely see me out though the trend towards leasing could speed up new vehicle turnover. By the IC only cutoff of 2040, cars are likely to be of academic interest only for me and many of my contempories. In any case, the current realistic battery range of decent size PHEV cars being 30ish miles, I would only rarely need to fall back on the IC part with cars available now.

Don Fry19/07/2019 12:49:59
3724 forum posts
42 photos

And also Bob, not have to buy a second car when you pull a heavy trailer.

Denis Watkins19/07/2019 12:56:43
3723 forum posts
177 photos
Posted by Nigel R on 19/07/2019 10:05:55:

Yes Nigel, his business fits, but as

Keith says, he is hedging his bets for the future, by running everything possible

In Theory, including 25 mile Airport runs, he could go all electric

But as previous posts, this is a massive outlay, maybe reduced by leasing

No matter what, it is the future

Edited By Denis Watkins on 19/07/2019 12:57:50

Percy Verance19/07/2019 13:26:11
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Rich

I think you've missed the point posting that Bloomberg OPINION link....

There are no infrastructure issues for 80+ % of present electric car owners, as they charge at home.........

Percy Verance19/07/2019 13:26:13
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Rich

There are no infrastructure issues for 80+ % of present electric car owners, as they charge at home.........

Martin Harris19/07/2019 13:27:25
8662 forum posts
214 photos

When electric cars become a viable option I will no doubt change but they don't attract me at the moment. I run a diesel estate which I refuel on a monthly basis unless doing a 200 and odd mile each way trip to visit my mother or the occasional longer distance model show.

As I see it, any reductions in future capital costs as electric becomes more mainstream are likely to be offset by reductions/removals of subsidies and increased taxation so I don't expect the situation to change for me very quickly. Who knows, conventional electric technology may have been superseded by the time I'm ready to move from IC!

Meanwhile, my Series 1 Land Rover restoration has gathered pace and having owned it since 1979, you'll have to prise the ignition key from my cold dead hand - along with that of the similar aged Triumph motorcycle that I bought at the age of 16!

Edited By Martin Harris on 19/07/2019 13:28:45

Percy Verance19/07/2019 13:40:02
8109 forum posts
155 photos

But Martin at least you'll have the option of generating some/all of your own electricity if you have the space/funds to go solar. There isn't any way to acquire free petrol or diesel, unless of course you steal it! But of course we have no way of knowing what laws or taxes will be introduced in the future. They could clear out all our bank accounts tomorrow if they passed a law allowing themselves to do it!

And yes, there will almost certainly be developments along the way. In,say, 7 years time, I'd be surprised if we're still seeing lithium based batteries being used in new vehicles...

And extorting assets and wealth from cold stiff people is something they already do Martin.........

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/07/2019 14:00:39

Rich too19/07/2019 14:32:23
2901 forum posts
1046 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 19/07/2019 13:26:11:

Rich

And your point is?

Of course there's little issue for current issues dont know I posted that because you are banging on about future use, NOT current use.

You've confused me more Percy please clarify.

Percy Verance19/07/2019 14:36:13
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Then it's probably best you remain confused and observe progress as it happens......

I'd suggest looking in fairly regularly at Drivingelectric.com   It's a site co-sponsored by VW - soon to be one of the largest EV makers - and has regular news updates on various matters. 

And as you were banging on about facts previously, I did note your link led to a site which was no more than opinion. In fact it was headed as such.  

I can't understand why you seem to be implying that 80% (or more) of future EV drivers won't continue to charge at home? You seem to think that might change? Why?

Edited By Percy Verance on 19/07/2019 14:44:56

Keith Miles 219/07/2019 18:49:58
145 forum posts
1 photos

I’m quite happy for early champions and adopters of electric vehicles (or anything else for that matter) to fund the ongoing R&D by paying the present relatively high purchase costs and accepting and/or being able to adapt to the present limitations.

The majority of us, however, either can’t afford, at present (if ever) to buy an electric vehicle and/or would probably prefer to sit back and observe the experiment until the real world viability of ownership and use improves and the prices drop.

And I wonder how many of today’s electric vehicles will even be around in 10 or 20 years time for buying second hand when so much of “modern technology” seems to be constantly rendered obsolete or unfashionable, or both, within a seemingly ever decreasing time scale.

Don Fry19/07/2019 19:19:03
3724 forum posts
42 photos

Keith, you are actually arguing a point to the converted. Percy is not daft. He has not bought an EV, because, he relates, in past posts, it does not warrant him laying out his cash, with a reasonable expectation that the cash was well spent. He also, is in the wait and see camp.

Perhaps in the, bring it on, section of the camp, but not with a cheque.

(in fairness, I have to report, Percy and I do not appear to be on speaking terms)

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us