Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Electric Cars.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Don Fry22/07/2019 13:13:46
3841 forum posts
42 photos

I wondered. here in France you see Segway machines trundling about. No idea if legal here or not, but I've never heard an explanation of why they (or scooters) are illegal to use on British roads.

Shaun Walsh22/07/2019 13:50:38
175 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 22/07/2019 13:13:46:

I wondered. here in France you see Segway machines trundling about. No idea if legal here or not, but I've never heard an explanation of why they (or scooters) are illegal to use on British roads.

Because they are classed as motor vehicles and therefore have to comply with construction and use regulations, which they don't. Therefore you can't insure them which is a requirement for road use. They would also need type approval which they don't have.

Electric bikes and some mobility scooters are road legal as there are specific regulations relating to their design and as long as they comply they can be used on the road.

Don Fry22/07/2019 13:55:49
3841 forum posts
42 photos

Thank you Shaun.

Levanter22/07/2019 16:53:02
880 forum posts
436 photos
Posted by Doc Marten on 22/07/2019 13:04:54:

It's interesting to hear that the government has announced a clamp down on e-scooters, seems contrary to the perks and encouragement given to e-bike users. Mixed messages from the government as to their commitment to green transport ?

Edited By Doc Marten on 22/07/2019 13:06:43

Same here in Spain but unconnected with any green transport. Some of them are now quite fast, completely silent and causing big problems on the pavements and promenades with accidents.

I don't have very good use of my legs but I can't help wondering if the some of the kids will loose the ability to walk properly because they go everywhere on their scooters even short distances. It's a bit like seeing very large toddlers in pushchairs.

Levanter

Don Fry22/07/2019 17:08:09
3841 forum posts
42 photos

Thank you Levanter. I have been given a very nice bottle of Calvados. I have drunk a finger, on Percy's advice, to celebrate his new ( prospective) car, and between the two, I have mind worms of overgrown toddlers, in diapers, hurtling about.

And on that note I'll get cooking. It getting warm, 37° in the shade in my backyard.

Percy Verance22/07/2019 20:04:04
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Well I shan't be buying an e scooter then... I was considering an electric bike though. There are several already in use around my village - my neighbour has one. Worthy of further investigation perhaps?

IDD1522/07/2019 21:55:15
123 forum posts

Keith

“Did I decry efforts to find solutions? Don’t think so.”

Nor do you champion any. Your position on EV’s is very apparent from your previous posts.

“MY “beloved” petrochemical industry? What a silly and baseless comment. I have never even been employed by them or bought their shares.”

Agreed a cheap shot, please accept my apologies.

“Some of the comments being made in this thread (a common affliction, it seems) are akin to the reaction one gets from certain religious groups when they feel that their faith is being attacked.”

Well I guess one cheap shot deserves another, and I’ve been called a lot worse on this thread! laugh

“Are you seriously suggesting that I should be ashamed of all the copper wire I’ve installed? More silly nonsense.”

No, it was more a rhetorical question referencing your previous position on lithium mining and full scrutiny thereof. You clearly expect that everything to do with EV’s should worked out and evidenced to the n’th degree, which is fair enough. Yet no sooner had Percy “come out” about his future purchase you seek to question it by quoting some source (not evidenced) about running costs and battery longevity. Followed by yet another absolute and “damning” statement of EV’s and ownership.

Why not just ask the question(s) on costs here? Might not be able to give you an answer, or indeed it might not be the answer you want. But I think most EV types would honestly try.

“ALL of us play, and have played our part in damaging the planet on a daily basis but I doubt that any of us did so, or do so, deliberately, in order to damage the planet.

We will also continue to do so, the only change would seem to be the extent to which we do so and the nature of the damage that we do.”

Agreed.

“There’s a word for the cause. Consumerism.”

Well it probably isn’t helping that’s for sure. But there are an awful lot of consumers and if you can effect even a small beneficial change in consumption and behaviour then big changes can happen.

It is perfectly right to be sceptical given the amount of “greenwash” and fake everything else we have thrown at us these days. However, as the saying goes “nothing ventured, nothing gained. The caveat being to venture when you're ready to….

My apologies again for the cheap shot.

Idd

IDD1522/07/2019 22:00:25
123 forum posts
Posted by Percy Verance on 22/07/2019 20:04:04:

Well I shan't be buying an e scooter then... I was considering an electric bike though. There are several already in use around my village - my neighbour has one. Worthy of further investigation perhaps?

Me too, I'd like to use one for work. We hired a couple to do the Monsal Trail a couple of weeks back and they were really good.

Don, I think this is your cue! wink 2

Keith Miles 223/07/2019 02:02:34
170 forum posts
6 photos

IDD15,

Firstly, It is bad manners to post a reply in bold print or capitals. It is the typed equivalent of shouting.

I do not currently "champion" EVs because in my opinion the current negatives, for me, outweigh the positives, if you'll pardon the obvious puns and I do not believe the environmental case, which is the central argument in favour, to be as strong as is widely claimed.

I thought that the purpose of the thread was to allow opposing views to be expressed and respected.

In that context, I have never questioned Percy's choice, or anyone else's unless, of course, you are concluding that anything other than a "championing" of EVs is automatically a criticism of anyone who buys, or wishes to buy, one.

I therefore refer you back to my previous comment about religious zeal.

Yes, I should have quoted my source material but couldn't figure out, at the time, how to do it on the I-pad. I am now on the PC, so here it is:

https://www.whatcar.com/news/petrol-diesel-hybrid-plug-in-hybrid-or-electric-%E2%80%93-which-is-the-cheapest-to-own/n18141

And, yes, there are other informed surveys that might give a different slant but that only proves that the case for EV is by no means proven yet.

And I will not repeat them but there are a number of oft quoted reasons why EVs are not yet a practical, realistic or confident choice for everybody at this point in time and certainly not the least of which is that row of numbers that you find inside vehicle windscreens at the dealers.

As for doing a little to achieve a lot, I tend to take comedian Sean Locke's environmental point of view when he said (in talking about washing out yoghurt pots for recycling) "It's like we're trying to clear up earthquake damage with a dustpan and brush".

Tom Sharp 223/07/2019 03:04:23
3464 forum posts
17 photos

On one of the shopping channels the other evening they were having a sale on electric bicycles. They were £500 each, looked very well constructed, were foldable and overall seemed a good buy.

But they were only capable of 30 miles of assisted operation between charges.

That means a range of only 15 miles, home to destination and back. Probably less in a head wind.

So the search for a better battery must go on.

Don Fry23/07/2019 07:06:19
3841 forum posts
42 photos

But at 500 quid, that's an economy bike. My wife's machine has a 50 volt battery, 10 amp hours.

It covers IRO 50 mile. It folds, Made of carbon. My backside is sore before I have half used the battery.

A modern electric bike is a practical solution to train/car/bike commuting. I use mine a lot as a local shopper bike. It's as fast as a car whizzing round the village, and I am built as a (slightly misshaped) sex God, not Apollo.

But point taken, batteries will develop, but it's going to take a lot longer that a lot of people believe it will.

Shaun Walsh23/07/2019 08:09:22
175 forum posts
12 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 23/07/2019 07:06:19:

But at 500 quid, that's an economy bike. My wife's machine has a 50 volt battery, 10 amp hours.

It covers IRO 50 mile. It folds, Made of carbon. My backside is sore before I have half used the battery.

A modern electric bike is a practical solution to train/car/bike commuting. I use mine a lot as a local shopper bike. It's as fast as a car whizzing round the village, and I am built as a (slightly misshaped) sex God, not Apollo.

But point taken, batteries will develop, but it's going to take a lot longer that a lot of people believe it will.

At least with an electric bike you can keep pedaling if you run out of battery power and get home, not really an option with an electric car sad

Don Fry23/07/2019 08:58:32
3841 forum posts
42 photos

Or break down in tears, and wait for a lady to rescue me.

Frank Skilbeck23/07/2019 09:54:34
4430 forum posts
101 photos

Reminds me of my first moped a step thru with pedals, it had a 1/2 gal fuel tank, I only ran out of petrol once and had to pedal 3 miles home.................... never did it again............................

Keith Miles 223/07/2019 11:18:14
170 forum posts
6 photos

Any form of cycle, whatever the power source, is no substitute for a car either, for numerous obvious reasons!

I speak as a past enthusiastic owner of several motorcycles and current owner of two (rarely used of late, I confess) bicycles!

😊

Pete B - Moderator23/07/2019 11:28:56
7572 forum posts
732 photos
Posted by Frank Skilbeck on 23/07/2019 09:54:34:

Reminds me of my first moped a step thru with pedals, it had a 1/2 gal fuel tank, I only ran out of petrol once and had to pedal 3 miles home.................... never did it again............................

Been there, Frank, and heartily agree. Mine was an NSU Quickly (an oxymoron if I ever heard oneteeth 2). ISTR spending more time pedalling it than being propelled....crook

Pete

Don Fry23/07/2019 11:45:20
3841 forum posts
42 photos

Horses for courses Keith. If the vehicle fits the need, it's the vehicle you get. I once climbed out of and sold a very nice Merc, to climb back on a 900 cc bike. The bike could do the commute. A car couldn't.

IDD1523/07/2019 13:11:19
123 forum posts

Mike

My apologies. My response was cut and pasted from Google Docs and I was not aware that bold was considered shouting, so my bad.

Thank you for the link to the document. It and others on the site may help me finally get my head around vehicle leasing, so again thanks for that.

idd

IDD1523/07/2019 13:11:20
123 forum posts

Mike

My apologies. My response was cut and pasted from Google Docs and I was not aware that bold was considered shouting, so my bad.

Thank you for the link to the document. It and others on the site may help me finally get my head around vehicle leasing, so again thanks for that.

idd

Martin Harris23/07/2019 13:24:42
8741 forum posts
214 photos
Posted by Shaun Walsh on 23/07/2019 08:09:22:

At least with an electric bike you can keep pedaling if you run out of battery power and get home, not really an option with an electric car sad

It was on the only electric road vehicle I've experienced first hand - a Sinclair C5 around a car park.

Perhaps that explains my lack of urgency to embrace the technology!

P.S. I wonder if anyone has done a LiPo conversion on a C5 yet?

Edited By Martin Harris on 23/07/2019 13:28:54

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
Wings & Wheels 2019
electricwingman 2017
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Pepe Aircraft
Gliders Distribution
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us