Electric Cars.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Keith Miles 223/07/2019 13:40:17
165 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by IDD15 on 23/07/2019 13:11:20:

Mike

My apologies. My response was cut and pasted from Google Docs and I was not aware that bold was considered shouting, so my bad.

Thank you for the link to the document. It and others on the site may help me finally get my head around vehicle leasing, so again thanks for that.

idd

No problem.

I will assume that the double postings and getting my name wrong were accidental as well.

smiley

Keith Miles 223/07/2019 14:28:40
165 forum posts
3 photos

IDD,

On the subject of errors (!), I noticed that the link that I provided does not take you to the first page of the article and that the last two digits of the link should be 39 not 41. That said, you may have worked out that you can go back or forwards within the web page tabs at the bottom of each page.

Hope you find (or found!) it interesting.

I did, even as one who, with a limited budget, is unlikely for the foreseeable future to be able to buy into EV even I wanted to!

smiley

Keith Miles 223/07/2019 14:58:24
165 forum posts
3 photos

Oh, forgot to mention that when looking at the What Car review of the Kia E-Niro that the reviewers name is, apparently, Doug Revolta!

Revolution and volt?

Coincidence or did he make that up to get the job?

😊

Tom Sharp 223/07/2019 20:42:18
3430 forum posts
17 photos

In our local paper. Cheshire East Council have appointed a company to install electric chargers throughout the county.

The plan being to install chargers at large company premises as well as public sites.

The rub is, they will be smart chargers controlled by the power company. So you can only charge your vehicle when the electricity company says you can.

Percy Verance23/07/2019 21:13:42
8109 forum posts
155 photos

Tom

As I understand it Tom most chargers are *smart*. I have heard of instances where membership cards cannot be read due to worn scanning equipent etc, and a phonecall to the charger company resulted in the charge being commenced remotely by them. I think they're all pretty much like this. The same will apply to the contactless readers which are going on all newly installed chargers Tom. If your card details aren't valid for any reason, you won't get any juice......

Edited By Percy Verance on 23/07/2019 21:20:38

Erfolg23/07/2019 22:06:03
11242 forum posts
1118 photos

Although the present Government have committed the UK to electric vehicles by certain dates, it is apparent that the plan is not to fund the necessary infrastructure from Government funding.

I can only deduce that, as well having read suggestions that the development of the necessary facilitates will come from the private sector if a profit can be made. If not. well?

It has surprised me that some local councils have plans to build their own green energy primary supplies and in some cases to install their own charging systems, The first thing that struck me is that the funds are available, as all, or most claim they are cash strapped. The second is that fag packet calculations indicate that the repayment period appears to be in excess of 20 years.

From recent publications it indicates that the UK cost of electricity is twice that of both Germany and France to industrial users. I hope that the various grants and suppletory charges are quickly phased out, so that it becomes far easier to understand what the real cost of Green Energy is relative to the alternatives.

As for electric cars, the cost of running them will of necessity increase, to both pay for the infrastructure in generation, distribution and to compensate for the lost revenue from Carbon type fuels.

I recently spent some time in a show room enquiring about both fully electric cars and hybrids. In the case of hybrids the benefits seem very small, being told that approx 20 miles on electric power is the max, I guess hence that inner London congestion charging does not except them. With respect to fully electric, that all the arguments with respect to heaters and air conditioning appear to be true in that the vehicle turns of the various features as the energy remaining drops. It also appears that the particular company that I was looking at was not in a great rush to build and sell electric cars until they had cracked various issues and also their is a lot of capital investment in existing production units,

IDD1523/07/2019 22:14:54
123 forum posts
laughPosted by Keith Miles 2 on 23/07/2019 14:58:24:

Oh, forgot to mention that when looking at the What Car review of the Kia E-Niro that the reviewers name is, apparently, Doug Revolta!

Revolution and volt?

Coincidence or did he make that up to get the job?

😊

laughlaughlaugh Good one!

Yes the article was interesting and quite eye opening. My son made a comment the other day about the costs of cars and running them, and how many people of his age (early twenties) don't. It is going to be interesting to see what happens in the next few years transport wise for sure.

Thanks again for the link to those articles, I've got a few now on my to read list.

idd

Doc Marten23/07/2019 22:18:16
358 forum posts
4 photos

The trouble with an 84 page thread is that posters are loathe to read what has been said a hundred times before. wink

Tom Sharp 223/07/2019 22:31:03
3430 forum posts
17 photos
Posted by Doc Marten on 23/07/2019 22:18:16:

The trouble with an 84 page thread is that posters are loathe to read what has been said a hundred times before. wink

And if you try to start a second thread the moderators will slap you down.

Trevor Crook23/07/2019 22:39:08
825 forum posts
63 photos

I just watched a couple of videos by a Youtuber called Cabbie007. He's just started using a Kia E-Niro in his private hire business, and on his first 12-hour shift covered 236 miles with over 30% of battery capacity left. He then spent quite some time recharging at a public charger, because it was a free one, although he could have charged it overnight at home.

On another video, he tried comparing aircon on and off ranges, and the aircon knocked 19 miles off the range, so not too bad.

Quite an investment for him to have made, but potential for huge savings on running costs for his business, even if he pays for his electricity for the convenience of home charging.

IDD1523/07/2019 22:45:19
123 forum posts

Tom

Who have Cheshire East gone with? Good grief, Macclesfield might even get a charge point!

Erf

Think that is a very succinct assessment of where things are at. Are 20 year investments though such a bad thing? After all I think we have all complained about short termism in one form or other at some point in this thread! smiley

So give us the gossip then, to which dealership were you talking to?

idd

Erfolg24/07/2019 00:07:14
11242 forum posts
1118 photos

IDD15

The problem with 20years, is that the equipment will probably no longer be viable, also it seemed to ignore administrate costs, maintenance cost, probably much more. Typically this could be interest paid or lost if the money is already held. Perhaps what most bothered me was that the money could be found, when councils etc. are constantly saying they cannot provide a proper service due to ratepayers and central government not providing enough money.

The only reason I did not state the manufacturer is i cannot be sure how reliable the information is and what the official position the company has. It was very interesting to me in that i stated i wanted a vehicle that would reliably undertake a round trip journey of 140 miles daily, without charging, in the depths of winter and extremes of summer. You will all recognise what i want, heated seats, windscreen demisting, cabin heating and air conditioning to maintain 20C. Of necessity there would be quite a bit of stop and start driving. His opinion that i would be pushing the extremes of the capability of the vehicle, under some conditions.Although the vehicle was supposed to have 250 mile range

I told him i has seen a large Limo type in Berlin, being charged and that I was unaware such a vehicle was available. Apparently there are a number of development vehicles in various locations, which are revealing some challenges that were not anticipated, One of which is battery maintenance, the least issue is the earthing requirements when changing cells and that cell reliability is an area of development.

Pete B - Moderator24/07/2019 10:01:13
7562 forum posts
732 photos
Posted by Tom Sharp 2 on 23/07/2019 22:31:03:
Posted by Doc Marten on 23/07/2019 22:18:16:

And if you try to start a second thread the moderators will slap you down.

Believe me Tom, given the amount of time the mods have had to devote to monitoring this thread, there won't be an opportunity for a second electric car thread.....dont know

Pete

ken anderson.24/07/2019 10:43:50
8417 forum posts
772 photos

84 pages....this thread has some mileage?

ken anderson...ne..1....motoring dept.

Keith Miles 224/07/2019 10:56:43
165 forum posts
3 photos
Posted by ken anderson. on 24/07/2019 10:43:50:

I wonder how much of it has been fossil fuelled?

😊

Levanter24/07/2019 16:35:54
878 forum posts
436 photos
Posted by Keith Miles 2 on 24/07/2019 10:56:43:
Posted by ken anderson. on 24/07/2019 10:43:50:

I wonder how much of it has been fossil fuelled?

😊

Hard to say, but a lot of it has been wind powered!

Levanter

Rich too25/07/2019 12:35:15
2911 forum posts
1046 photos
Posted by Cuban8 on 21/01/2018 11:48:05:

Will we eventually be cutting off a whole section of society from owning the examples of practical and relatively inexpensive personal transport that's available today?

It's all very well offering those of us who can afford new cars, incentives to ditch our conventional vehicles through scrappage schemes, tax breaks etc, but spare a thought for the poorly paid workers who will never be in a position to afford many thousands of pounds on new or nearly new cars, electric or otherwise.

Back to the original question! It won't happen, not least because there's no alternative. Public transport is a joke.

It also annoys me that the UK is considering such drastic action, when the UK's carbon emissions is a drop in the ocean compared to other countries - although its interesting to note a lot of early EV adopters are not doing it for the good of the planet.

I've also just been reading (I'm a bit behind!) about China's targets - they've got a target that their emissions will not keep rising beyond 2030!!!

It reminds me of what comedian Sean Lock said:

"Thirty million acres of rainforest are being destroyed each year and I'm attempting to recycle a jar of Marmite. It's like turning up at an earthquake with a dustpan and brush"

Quite. Our country really is run by morons.

Edited By Rich too on 25/07/2019 12:35:59

Edited By Rich too on 25/07/2019 12:40:57

Erfolg26/07/2019 23:41:21
11242 forum posts
1118 photos

My thoughts with respect to electric vehicles seem to remain constant.

I am not opposed to electric vehicles per se. I keep returning to the same issues, that are the elephant in the room, that Acolytes of electric vehicles mostly cannot see,

The first is that if carbon fueled vehicles are removed from the roads, where is the tax revenue from the vehicles fuel going to came from?

The next issue is given the restricted head room of the UKs generating capability, how will the extra capacity be found. Perhaps the real question is where will the money come from to pay for the new infrastructure? The general tax payer, the user of the extra capacity?

The next issue becomes one of distribution net work capacity, who will pay for the re-enforcement of the national grid.

Finally you return to Riches question, in the context of world emissions, where the total UK emissions are less than some countries annual increase in emissions, is the UKs position gesture politics?

Even the simple question of charging points has similar issues, who should and will pay for the public access charging points?

Given the threats to nationalise what exists today, I cannot see private business being in any rush to invest without very good guarantees that their assets will not be seized, particularly if at below market or true asset value.

Then you finally come to the car and truck producers, will some if not all choose to cut their losses and close factories that produce engines, perhaps gearboxes etc. employing many less, although charging a higher price than at present. The problem here there are many scenarios and permeations that are possible.

Yet at the end of the day will we be saddled with a vehicle of much lower capability when compared to the versitility of the IC vehicle and will it result in higher running costs to the user, Reducing the standard of living and increasing food stuffs etc. distribution costs, further reducing living standards.

If you start to think through environmental impacts, the questions just keep increasing.

Martin Harris26/07/2019 23:56:39
8678 forum posts
214 photos

yes

Trevor Crook27/07/2019 06:55:06
825 forum posts
63 photos

Erf, electric cars won't be the only extra stress on the grid. The government announced a little while ago that from 2025, new build homes would not be connected to mains gas, so plenty of extra power required for all of those to be heated!

Not sure what you mean by ev's higher running costs, low cost fuel and less maintenance are their strongest selling points at present. Of course, none of us know what new tax regimes will be brought in, as you say the fuel duty hole will have to be plugged somehow.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Addlestone Models
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us