By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Adaptors

A cause of neverending dissapointment....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator28/01/2018 21:23:32
15407 forum posts
1409 photos

There I am in the shed, I need to centralise a servo prior to fabricating a linkage,...sadly my servo checker "went west" a few weeks ago. No problem, as my watt meter has a servo driver on it - so I can use that, right?

Mmm, one catch, the watt meter has an XT90 plug on it. The battery I want to use to drive the servo has a XT60 socket on it. Ah, but I have "a box", a box choca full of adaptors - I been making them up as I need them for years and years - I must have a female to male, XT90 to XT60 mustn't I?

I search the box - it seems to contain just about every adaptor configuration you can think of JST, Deans, Shielded, Balance, pin/socket, XT etc; in every gender combination. You name it I've got one - but it seems NOT a female to male XT90 to XT60. Oh I have male to male, female to female, male to female XT60 to XT90, male to female XT90 to XT60 - but NOT a female to male XT90 to XT60. Grrrrrr!

Now I wouldn't be too upset about this - if it wasn't for the fact that this is far from the first time this has happened - in fact it seems to almost be the norm - I never seem to have the right adaptor no matter what I want!

I standardise as far as possible - I even change connectors on bought in goods to bring into line with my "standard" - but still I seem to have an inexhaustible demand for more and more adaptors!

Anyone else have this issue or similar ones in other areas?

BEB

Capt Kremen28/01/2018 21:44:46
213 forum posts
53 photos

It's called 'It Will Come In Handy Sometime' syndrome many a modeller/handy man etc. has ..... only ....

When 'Sometime' does comes around you can never find the bl#### thing!

Percy Verance28/01/2018 22:16:34
6730 forum posts
133 photos

BEB go onto the Component Shop site, and after a little dig around you'll find their custom lead ordering thingy. You can choose from virtually any sort of plug or socket on either end. You even get to choose what length you want it. And whatever plugs/sockets you specify, Component Shop will use the heaviest wire possible for the said connectors. That do?

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator28/01/2018 22:23:52
15407 forum posts
1409 photos

No Percy - thanks for that, but I'm quite happy making adaptors - I am just puzzled that no matter no many you make there is always one more needed that you don't have. It would just the same if I used someone else to make the adaptors - that's the problem. Logic says there can only be a finite number of combinations - experience suggests differently!

BEB

KiwiKid28/01/2018 22:24:02
409 forum posts
382 photos

The list of possible permutations, whilst large, is finite - just keep making them as you need themlaugh

EDIT: Haha posted at the same time - maybe set up a spreadsheet and see what you have and what you are likely to need in the future.

Edited By KiwiKid on 28/01/2018 22:27:49

Old Geezer28/01/2018 22:34:47
510 forum posts

Regarding the potential number of permutations, it would be nice if one of the mathematicians in the congregation could work out just how many - I think you'd be surprised at the result!

Mike Blandford28/01/2018 22:55:45
380 forum posts
14 photos

Rather than have adapters from everything to everything, why not just have the connectors with a couple of wires (colour coded and with tinned ends). Then, get what I call a "chocolate block" screw terminal block for connecting wires together. When you need an adapter, just get the two connectors (with their wires), put the wires from one into one side of the block and those from the other connector into the other side.

Then you have, almost immediately, any adapter you require.

I use this method, or an electronics, plug in, breadboard, to make all sorts of adapters as required. Just occasionally, when I find I need a particular adapter frequently, I will make up a dedicated one.

I make it that if you have 10 different, 2-way connectors, each in male and female, you would need 90 adapters, with my suggestion, you need just 20 connectors with wires. Using several "chocolate blocks" you could leave commonly used adapters made up, but quickly change if needed.

Mike

Edited By Mike Blandford on 28/01/2018 23:01:42

Tom Sharp 229/01/2018 02:47:57
3017 forum posts
16 photos

Would make a good article for RCM&E April edition.

Dave Bran29/01/2018 07:20:34
1892 forum posts
5 photos

Instead of lengthy discussions on the best way of bodging the problem up at the customer end, why don't we put pressure on the manufacturers to reduce the number of options!

Queue endless discussions on which ones are the best ones to keep........................................... sarcastic

Don Fry29/01/2018 07:26:54
2543 forum posts
30 photos

Don't need much maths to know that the result tend to infinity. Bran is wise.

john stones 129/01/2018 07:53:38
9666 forum posts
1435 photos

Fly I.C cuts down dramatically on plug issues. wink

Adrian Smith 129/01/2018 08:00:26
1932 forum posts
654 photos

The whole connector thing is fraught with inconsistency and confusion for an simple chap like me! As far as the type of connection is concerned I buy 'em in pairs because some connectors I would say are male are actually sold as female for some reason, as I have found to my cost. Seems the connector world was into "gender fluidity" long before it became the fashion now! I like to know when I grab a female (connector that is) I like to know it's as I expect it to be and not dressed up in a male appearance (connector that is). Any way that's my tuppence worth! wink sad

flight129/01/2018 08:00:52
516 forum posts
32 photos

Yes never got the right adaptor is pa 'n parcel with sods law you just got to accept it as fact to be got over

But have you seen the millions of light bulb types out there , you never got the right one or the shop has not got that one. Its the newmodern addition to sod's law

john stones 129/01/2018 08:13:38
9666 forum posts
1435 photos
Posted by Adrian Smith 1 on 29/01/2018 08:00:26:

The whole connector thing is fraught with inconsistency and confusion for an simple chap like me! As far as the type of connection is concerned I buy 'em in pairs because some connectors I would say are male are actually sold as female for some reason, as I have found to my cost. Seems the connector world was into "gender fluidity" long before it became the fashion now! I like to know when I grab a female (connector that is) I like to know it's as I expect it to be and not dressed up in a male appearance (connector that is). Any way that's my tuppence worth! wink sad

Been reading the Guardian have we ?

The Wright Stuff29/01/2018 08:30:29
1253 forum posts
225 photos

Wow. I'm afraid I'm the maths loving geek and I can't resist:

The formula is:

Number of adapters = (2 x N)^2 - (2 x N)

where N is the number of types available. 

The first term is the matrix of every type of plug/socket connected to every other type of plug/socket, with two genders per type. The second term is subtracted because we don't need M-F or F-M adapters for the cases where we are connecting the same type together (because you get back to where you started).

So for N = 1 (just one type of plug/socket), you need 2 adapters (M-M and F-F).

The full table down to 10 types is:

N  ->  Number of adapters

1 -> 2

2 -> 12

3 -> 30

4 -> 56

5 -> 90

6 -> 132

7 -> 182

8 -> 240

9 -> 306

10 -> 380

This assumes that you don't daisy chain multiple adapters together. You could reduce the number you need and there would be some interesting maths involved. A good GCSE student project, I'd have thought...

Edited By The Wright Stuff on 29/01/2018 08:44:19

Peter Miller29/01/2018 08:39:13
9177 forum posts
1062 photos
10 articles

I can't help wondering just how many adaptors could have been made in the time spent writing and reading the posts on this thread.

The Wright Stuff29/01/2018 08:53:08
1253 forum posts
225 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 29/01/2018 08:39:13:

I can't help wondering just how many adaptors could have been made in the time spent writing and reading the posts on this thread.

Excellent point, Peter, but in my case: none. While travelling for work, my aeromodelling hobby is sadly mainly an academic interest these days!!!

john stones 129/01/2018 09:43:43
9666 forum posts
1435 photos
Posted by Peter Miller on 29/01/2018 08:39:13:

7 ?

Mike Blandford29/01/2018 10:55:44
380 forum posts
14 photos
Posted by The Wright Stuff on 29/01/2018 08:30:29:

The formula is:

Number of adapters = (2 x N)^2 - (2 x N)

where N is the number of types available.

The first term is the matrix of every type of plug/socket connected to every other type of plug/socket, with two genders per type. The second term is subtracted because we don't need M-F or F-M adapters for the cases where we are connecting the same type together (because you get back to where you started).

I think you have too many! For two sets of connectors I reckon you have:

M1-M1
M1-M2
M1-F1 (*)
M1-F2
M2-M1 (!)
M2-M2
M2-F1
M2-F2 (*)
F1-M1 (*!)
F1-M2 (!)
F1-F1
F1-F2
F2-M1 (!)
F2-M2 (*!)
F2-F1 (!)
F2-F2

So 16 permutations from your first term [(2 x N)^2], Those I've marked with (*) are the ones you don't need from your second term [2 x N], but the ones I've marked with (!) are repeats, just wired to "other" way round (M1-M2 and M2-M1 are the same adaptor).

Mike

McG 696929/01/2018 10:57:00
2167 forum posts
909 photos

I think the majority of the forumites here didn't 'get' BEB's main problem.

He has just been spending a lot of cash to that 'mountain' of mainly useless adaptors... and now, in fact, he just needs a 'servo tester', right? Just a couple of euros at Banggood... angel

Maybe a very helpful soul around here could relieve him from all that pain just by sending him a spare servo tester... yes

Thanks on behalf of the ones being in great pain.

Cheers

Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues