Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Unable to Start Engine after many years

Engine will not start , Help Needed

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trevor Meakin19/08/2008 17:11:00
38 forum posts
 started to learn to fly model helicopters years ago with a Kyosho SX30 , and got reasonable o.k. with it .Then a house move came and the model got stored , and almost forgot about untill I unearthed it after a friend bought a smaller electric helicopter , and I helped him to set up and fly basic hover etc ..This reminded me of what fun it was ... ...MY wife was hopefull that I was making it look good to sell , not a chance ....my many years of non model flying is hopefully coming to an end ...and flying field here I come , hopefully ..

I spent quite a bit of time checking it out , and making sure it was flight worthy , I also had the forethought to disconnect all batteries before storage , these have all now been replaced with new batterys'  and  everythnig was looking good .  I was now ready for a test start up , having removed the rotor blades , I set about trying to get the thing started , , just to point out here It is powered with an Enya 35 Heli engine and was always a dream to start years back , it always started on little more than tick over and never stalled on its own accord .

After several minutes , of tweaking , and replacing glow plug with a new one  wihich glows fine out of the engine ,  I had to give up when my 12v starter battery gave up the ghost ....I have checked all I can think off , if I remove the fuel line from the carb , and run the motor up while covering the exhaust and fuel eventually flows out of the pipe , but when reconnected it It does not look like there is any fuel in the pipe , with the pipe connected I have tried to start while coveryng the exhaust , but all to no avail  , I have also fitted a new remote glow conector , as the new stick type glow battery' did not really suit the engine position of the Sykosho , all to no avail ..the thing does not want to start , how do I diagnose fuel starvation or glow problem ??

I am now at a loss as what to do , I am now contemplating removing the engine alltogether and seeing if I can get it started on bench ...I don't really want to do this as it would meen a major strip down .....

So any help or advice as to get my motor started would be gratefully receieved

Matt Halton19/08/2008 22:29:00
551 forum posts
856 photos

Can you get the carb off? Sounds like fuel starvation,I'd try and see if there is dirt in the carb if accessible.

If not,I'm afraid removal of the whole motor is your only option..

Ralph Yeates20/08/2008 09:53:00
218 forum posts
18 photos

I think you may find that the needle is blocked on the carb?
does fuel leak out if you put your finger over the exhaust if not then you need to make sure that the fuel is getting past the needle valve.
Remove the needle valve and use the pump to force the fuel through the carb it should come out of the hole where the needle valve was, then put in the needle valve and the fuel should start coming out of the carb body if not you have a blockage in the jet. After a long time storage this is the most likely problem.
remove needle valve and clean.

Trevor Meakin20/08/2008 11:16:00
38 forum posts

Thanks for your suggestions so far ,  I will certainly be taking your advise and removing the needle valve to see if I can get fuel to come out of the hole . I can get fuel to flow out of the pipe when removed from the carb so in theory it should ,as you say ,come out of the carb ..

It does look as though I should be able to remove the Carb without full engine removal , so if this is required I should be able to do it farely easily ..

I will keep you guys informed as to how things go , I certainly have a few ideas now ,

Thanks again .....

Trevor Meakin23/08/2008 11:07:00
38 forum posts

Hi ALL ,

Thanks for your advice and help , I managed to remove the carb from the engine without removal of the whole engine , this enabled me to se if fuel was flowing through it , I was manualy blowing down the pressure pipe while carb still connected , indeed liquid did ooze out , but not the clear pink feul but thickish yellowy gunk, I kept flushing it till fuel came clear , then soaked the whole carb overnight in spirits ..

Reconnected , ensured fuel flow still good , fited back onto engine , and did a test run , wow what a result , in no more than a few bursts with the starter she fired up ..

What a sweet sound after all these years , it was great ...the engine was very stable and sounded very healthy ... I did not take things any further as time was passing and the pub was calling ...

So again I thank you for all your tipos and help .....

Cheers

Trev.

Ralph Yeates23/08/2008 13:50:00
218 forum posts
18 photos
Glad it all worked out ok Trevor. I some times get a blade of grass in the valve no idea how it gets in there as I have a filter to the tank and fuel via a filter as well, one of those little things that come to bug us from time to time to make sure we are on the ball
Eric Bray25/08/2008 16:05:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos

I'm sure I posted this reply, but it seems to have disappeared! (again!)

Trevor, the thick yellow gunk was probably decomposing, dehydrated, castor oil!

Glad you got it sorted.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Pepe Aircraft
Slec
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
Gliders Distribution
Addlestone Models
electricwingman 2017
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Does your club have a safety officer?
Q: Does your club have a safety officer, or is the emphasis on individual members to each be their own safety officer?

Yes we have a SO
 No, it's down to everyone

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us