Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Glow Start

Why Won't It Work?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Pickles19/08/2008 20:43:00
4 forum posts

I have bought 2 brand new Glow Starts that are made by Flight Leader. I have charged them both for 19 hours (the recommended time) and they are still stone could were they are ment to be "white" hot. However, the red light on the transformer comes on while charging. Also when I put them on to my engine (a SC25A) the indicator on the top of it indicates green showing that everything is OK and it is fully charged. I have also tried them both on 2 glow plugs (IC). Is it possible to have to faulty glow starts? Please tell me what is wrong.

John.

Eric Bray20/08/2008 12:10:00
6600 forum posts
2 photos

Take a plug out of an engine, and plug it into the glow-start, so you can see if it is glowing!

If it is, the fault is something else, probably fuel, if it doesn't glow, the gadget is faulty.

I always had an ammeter between the battery and plug, so I could see whether power was flowing through the plug.

John Pickles20/08/2008 13:47:00
4 forum posts

Thanks a lot. I'll try it.

Hopefully it will work!

John.

Mr Sam22/08/2008 20:19:00
61 forum posts

these ones have a mini meter on top of the glow start to show you uve got glow

mine however the shaft thing came out the body and i havent got an allen key small enough to fit it back in......wheres the epoxy

Chris Channon30/08/2008 20:15:00
57 forum posts
1 photos

Take them back and ask for a refund, they are faulty.

Chris

Chris Channon30/08/2008 20:17:00
57 forum posts
1 photos
Sorry, meant to say, flight leader are known to be a bit "iffy", take them back and get a Ripmax replacement
Neal Snooke03/09/2008 14:14:00
22 forum posts
2 photos

I always used to have boughts of glow start problems, until 2 years ago when I invested in one of the RCAT systems glow drivers(see url below). It only needs charging about twice a year and actively controls the current so the plug always glows perfectly -  I have even tried holding the end under water - it still glows - although the current indicator climbs a lot to maintain the heat. I have lost count how many times I have instantly started other peoples engines when they have been fighting for ages with a flooded engine etc etc.  After a while you get used to how many lights come on for a given type of plug, and any change to this gives me the first indication of a plug that is on its way out (particularly on my helis where plugs get a hard life and I really dont want dead sticks).

They arn't cheap, but in my experience are worth every penny in saved time struggling with non starting engines...

http://rcatsystems.com/electronics/ligd.php

Neal.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Wings & Wheels 2019
Gliders Distribution
CML
Pepe Aircraft
Cambridge Gliding Club
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
New Poll - Sticky situations...
Q: How often - when using superglue - do you end up with it on your fingers?

Every time
 Occasionally
 Sometimes
 Rarely
 Never
 Wear rubber gloves

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us