Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Please help newbie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tom H 103/02/2018 19:26:50
14 forum posts

Hi All,

wondered if someone can help me. I want to get into RC planes but have tried to understand the basics but a lot of youtube videos contradict each other. Can anyone help me understand the basics (equipment needed etc) And best of all the best websites to buy from

Percy Verance03/02/2018 22:58:15
6492 forum posts
110 photos

Hi Tom, and welcome to the forum!

Firstly Tom, I'd urge you not to buy anything at all until you find out where your nearest club is situated. A few visits to such a club would help you through what seems something of a maze at the minute. Why I suggested you don't buy anything just now is because there are so many combinations of equipment out there. Some are suitable for new flyers, others not so. Going the club route can save you much time, trouble, money and frustration, as a registered club will have qualified Instructors to teach you at no cost to yourself. Most clubs will have training equipment, along with a training model you may be able to use for your first few flights. I'd strongly suggest you don't attempt to teach yourself to fly, especially in a park or similar place. Many Local Authorities have by-laws in place to prohibit model flying on their land. Learning to fly alone can be an expensive business, and most who attempt it soon become disillusioned and give up.

And again Tom, visting a club will provide you with a good idea what sort of equipment is the most popular, and why this is. It's important to consider what sort of models you'd eventually like to get into, as this may influence any future purchases. And again, if you choose to join a club and have one of the Instructors teach you, it's important to realise that your radio gear ought to be compatible with his so that you can buddy up electronically. That way it'll be easier for you to learn, and will considerably minimize the risk of crashing while you learn to fly. Joining a club wil also mean you will be insured while you fly, which is important.

Once again Tom, I'd say don't buy anything right now. Advice and help are what you need most of all just now, and most model flyers and clubs will provide this for free! Do feel free to ask as many questions as you like here. We will help as much as we can. You will be able to find the location of your nearest club through the BMFA - the British Model Flying Association. You haven't said where you are Tom, maybe even someone on the forum could be near enough to help?

Edited By Percy Verance on 03/02/2018 23:06:12

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator03/02/2018 23:11:10
15230 forum posts
1407 photos

I totally agree with Percy. Find your local club on the BMFA website, get in touch with them and then go and visit one Saturday or Sunday afternoon. You'll find most RCFlyers are only too happy to chat about their models, the gear they use etc. You'll get loads of good advice, but most of all you'll make some contacts. They advise you what to buy, and where to buy it so you end up with a suitable setup to learn on. If you join the club they will then teach you to fly - and best of all, this advice and instruction is free - you just have to join and follow their advice. It's the best way - honestly.

BEB

Percy Verance03/02/2018 23:20:08
6492 forum posts
110 photos

Further to my above post Tom, here's what may well happen if you were simply to begin buying stuff from websites.

Which radio might you go for, and how many channels will it have? You can't know that for sure until you begin to choose what type of model(s) you would most like to fly. What transmitter mode will you choose? Again Tom, you'll need to know what mode your potential Instructor uses. Will you be flying electric or i.c. powered models? Again Tom, this will quite heavily influence the choice of equipment you would eventually go for. You see where I'm going here Tom? You need help and advice from your nearest club Tom. Even if you don't stay with the club after you have learned to fly Tom, at least you'll have learned a good deal, and it will have saved you much time and money in the process.

A few visits to your nearest club will provide much more information than any YouTube video Tom.

Edited By Percy Verance on 03/02/2018 23:29:14

cymaz04/02/2018 06:52:04
7597 forum posts
981 photos

Tom. This map will help you find BMFA (British Model Flying Association) clubs. Any good club should welcome you, show you around and offer you a taster flight on a club trainer...for free. As has been said, don’t be in any rush to part with cash until you know exactly what you want to do.

Edited By Pete B - Moderator on 04/02/2018 09:48:29

Percy Verance04/02/2018 08:04:27
6492 forum posts
110 photos

I was about to say the link didn't work for me cymaz, but all sorted now.

I'll do what I was about to do anyway.....

Tom, the British Model Flying Association can be contacted on 0116 2440028 or email on admin@bmfa.org I'm not actually a member myself as I belong to one of the other two model flying associations in the UK, but the BMFA are the largest one. Most of the people on this forum will be BMFA members Tom.

kc04/02/2018 10:04:35
5473 forum posts
161 photos

All good advice. At clubs we so often get people who bought planes on E-Bay and then come to us and we have to tactfully tell them they have wasted their money! If only they had come to chat with us first.......

However note that most clubs have certain specific times to fly and may not be at the field in windy weather, so phone the sec first to avoid wasted journeys.

Cuban804/02/2018 10:12:37
1950 forum posts
3 photos

Hi Tom and a very warm welcome to our hobby. There's nothing I can add to the excellent advice that has been proffered so far. However, the only thing I'd add regarding the advice about clubs, is to make sure that you visit as many of them as you can that are within a reasonable travelling distance before signing up.

Clubs can be like people, in that some you'll find you'll get along with and others you won't. Despite all being fans of model aeroplanes and claiming to welcome beginners, the character and ambience of different clubs can vary greatly and it's important to find one that suits you, even if that means travelling a bit further than what you might like or paying a tad more in subs.

Good luck.

Percy Verance04/02/2018 10:23:26
6492 forum posts
110 photos

How true that is C8....... yes

ken anderson.04/02/2018 10:28:43
8022 forum posts
729 photos

hello tom, welcome from me,much the same as above...also have a look in the local library (if you still have one)there should be plenty of books there for you to get info from...and as mentioned don't buy anything until you've had some unbiased advice etc..... best to see what other people are using - get your hands on some gear... fire away with as many Q's as you want.....

ken Anderson...ne....1..get tom flying dept.

Percy Verance04/02/2018 13:22:39
6492 forum posts
110 photos

Hopefully we haven't scared Tom off..........laugh Remember Tom, even we​ were all beginners once...........

Tony Harrison 204/02/2018 13:41:13
202 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Percy Verance on 03/02/2018 22:58:15:

Firstly Tom, I'd urge you not to buy anything at all until you find out where your nearest club is situated. A few visits to such a club would help you through what seems something of a maze at the minute............. Going the club route can save you much time, trouble, money and frustration, as a registered club will have qualified Instructors to teach you at no cost to yourself........And again Tom, visting a club will provide you with a good idea what sort of equipment is the most popular, and why this is...............Advice and help are what you need most of all just now, and most model flyers and clubs will provide this for free!....

In principle you are of course correct, but in practice my own experience has not borne this out. 1. Practically everyone I spoke to when visiting (and joining) different clubs gave me differing advice, sometimes wildly so. 2. Instructors are sometimes available in theory but not in practice. 3. Flyers have hugely varied experience, preferences and prejudices (i/c v electric, gliders v 'planes, etc) and will swear blind that theirs is sound advice while that given by so-and-so at the other club down the road is complete nonsense....4. I visited one club where instruction seemed highly organised, but sadly everything else about the club seemed highly organised/disciplined to an alarming degree! Ve must heff diziplin, or zere vill be no order...

For those such as the OP, much personal research is called for, to start sorting out the good advice from the very bad, and to identify one's own preferences; you need to be very flexible indeed to be able to take advantage of any instruction help offered to you - ideally you should be retired and have no other commitments, not take holidays, and not spend time out of the country! Though re this latter, I've had most of my flying instruction in France, in part because the weather is far better and more predictable... I still have hopes of some instruction and enjoyment from Brit clubs with which I've made contact, but e.g. right now it's cold and very windy, lately it's rained all the time, and progress with local clubs can be very slow indeed...

Ernie04/02/2018 14:02:26
2412 forum posts
5 photos

Hi Tom, There is another thing that you should consider. Do you want to buy an aircraft, all ready built, and go and fly it right away, or are you interested in building one, say from a kit?

Also, while I wholeheartedly agree that it is good to join a club. If this is not possible, you can learn alone, but be prepared for many mishaps.

Ernie

Don Fry04/02/2018 14:21:15
2399 forum posts
30 photos

There is an element of truth Tony Harrison's comments. As in all of life, opinions vary.

As ever, find a guru who you can relate to, and stick to the guru.

Hint, watch his flying, watch him prepare his models. It should look like not much effort is going on, but it all goes smoothly, and gets done. The models are not necessarily big or shiny.

john stones 104/02/2018 14:38:36
9369 forum posts
1428 photos
Posted by Don Fry on 04/02/2018 14:21:15:

There is an element of truth Tony Harrison's comments. As in all of life, opinions vary.

As ever, find a guru who you can relate to, and stick to the guru.

Hint, watch his flying, watch him prepare his models. It should look like not much effort is going on, but it all goes smoothly, and gets done. The models are not necessarily big or shiny.

Yep, don't just visit a club, sit and watch/listen, not always the chattiest that offers the best advice.

flyless04/02/2018 14:55:02
18 forum posts

Ware about in the county are you if in essex come down to Southend radio flying club.we will help you

Tom H 104/02/2018 15:49:50
14 forum posts

Hi all sorry for the delay busy day I am from Cheshire and looking to actually build my own from a kit. I don’t actually think I’d get enjoyment from ready built ones. My only worry is if I crash my plane and many people say it’s happens a lot. How do you repair? Is it part of the hobby? Is it easy to do?

Percy Verance04/02/2018 15:58:14
6492 forum posts
110 photos

Hi again Tom. Is it easy to repair? Not a straightforward question to answer Tom, as no two crashes or the resulting damage, is the same. It is rare that a model is so badly damaged that it's beyond repair though. Actually building the model in the first instance will indeed provide a good grounding for those inevitable repairs. We all crashed while we were learning Tom, and you will too!  I'm not entirely convinced it'll be a good idea to attempt to build a complete model as a first project Tom, particularly if you haven't done it before. You're in Cheshire, and there are a number of good clubs in that area. You need to get a feel for what's what first, then that will help you to decide which direction you'd prefer to go flying-wise. 

And going back to what some of us said previously, crashing will happen considerably less if you join a club and get a decent Instructor. Depending on the amount of time you're willing to commit to learning to Fly Tom, it could take just a few weeks before you are ready to go solo. Just don't try to fly on your own anywhere Tom, otherwise the first flight will last about 2 seconds, and you'll be repairing sooner than you thought. And there's another advantage to joining a club Tom. Someone will be able to show​ you how to carry out repairs, because they've been there before you! Remember Tom, it's easier and cheaper to learn by the mistakes of others........

There's a fair bit to pick up Tom, but with the correct tuition it'll be fairly enjoyable, if a little nerve wracking. And the beauty of this hobby is that you never stop learning. Any more questions Tom, just ask away. And no, crashing doesn't necessarily happen a lot. I've had models I've sold after flying them on and off for twenty years, without crashing.

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/02/2018 16:24:01

Don Fry04/02/2018 15:58:36
2399 forum posts
30 photos

Good, build it. It can be crashed, but with a fair Guru, a buddy box system, it probably survives the initial training. Repairs are not too bad if you built it.

The hobby is a vale of tears, frustration, knashing of teeth, and wallet lightening moments. The initial training is cheap enough, it's the more advanced bits cost airframes. But take it steady, do it with a bit of logic, and you don't need to kick the dog.

Percy Verance04/02/2018 16:33:57
6492 forum posts
110 photos

With the greatest of respect Don, we both know it isn't that quick or easy. When Tom's ready to tackle his first build, he'll need to know what makes a good building board. Plus he'll need to have something of an eye for wood selection. Build in lots of heavy wood at the tail of most models and you need three times the weight up front to counteract it to get the C of G correct. Forgive me if I'm sounding rather technical, but simply saying "build it" to someone who previously hasn't, isn't going to help Tom much. He'll probably learn all these things and more from experienced club members as time goes by of course. That is of course assuming Tom chooses to join a club. I really hope he does, because that's where his best chance of success lies.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/02/2018 16:42:05

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Email News - Join our newsletter

Love Model Aircraft? Sign up to our emails for the latest news and special offers!

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Overlander
Gliders Distribution
Wings & Wheels 2018
Expo Tools 14 July
Airtek Hobbies
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues