All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tom H 104/02/2018 16:50:06
14 forum posts

How much are training planes then?

Percy Verance04/02/2018 17:00:51
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Again Tom, it's an open ended question. Electric or engine powered? How big? You need to consider if it will fit in your car before you buy it! How many channels Tom? It's all a little confusing initially Tom. Please try to get in contact with one of the clubs in Cheshire. They'll be able to actually show you suitable models, and you may even get the opportunity to have a go at piloting one. If I were to give you a figure Tom, then something like two to three hundred pounds will get you started. It isn't just the model though. There will be other ancillary equipment you'll need, such as batteries, chargers, propellers, glow plugs if you choose to fly engine powered models, fuel, a fuel pump, various hand tools with which to carry out adjustments and model maintenance etc.... I've said it once already Tom, but don't just start buying stuff off the internet. You'll probably end up with the wrong equipment. Join a club and start picking brains Tom, please......

Don Fry04/02/2018 17:02:43
4557 forum posts
54 photos

Percy, accepted. If Tom is a philosopher by trade, start with a ready build. But I still reckon, most potential builders, have some hand eye skills from somewhere else. That's why they want to build. A a trainer kit is designed to be doable. And I do reckon, that the initial trainer should survive the training to A test. And Tom H, that the model aircraft equivalent of a private pilots licence at full size.

But Tom, find your Guru. He will take you to where you want to go.

Percy Verance04/02/2018 17:11:29
8108 forum posts
155 photos

I'd agree Don re: a trainer kit. But if Tom is as inexperienced as he admits, then there is some way to go prior to pinning bits of wood to a board. Tom will need to understand and learn how vital it is to build straight structures which are totally free of warps, otherwise he'll be trying to get it to fly straight until his beard is trailing on the ground...... And yes Don, a decent Instructor in a good club will give Tom the best chance of success...... totally agree 100%

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/02/2018 17:14:39

Tom H 104/02/2018 17:18:22
14 forum posts

If I gave up on building my own. Can you still get kits so you can build yourself and get enjoyment from that? Also as I have not brought anything before is there good variety of kits to buy out there?

kc04/02/2018 17:29:24
6286 forum posts
170 photos

Study these items here on the forum which will help decide about building. I advise building as the cheapest way, download a plan from Outerzone and study the methods used.

Look at the build of a typical trainer -RM Trainer - most balsa trainers are a bit similar

Repairing crashed models- this will give you an idea of how it's done and it also gives a glimpse of how a model is made.

Part 2 repairing

Edited By kc on 04/02/2018 17:31:20

Edited By kc on 04/02/2018 17:35:34

Percy Verance04/02/2018 17:35:03
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Tom, you still haven't said what type of models you'd prefer. It's not easy to recommend kits unless you tell us what you want a kit of! There is still a varied selection of kits to build out there Tom, but not all are suitable for novice builders. It's also possible now to buy a plan for a model you fancy, along with a set of ready cut parts to build it. I would stress that these are not kits, but they do provide a way to build a model from a plan without the work of cutting out lots of parts.

Percy Verance04/02/2018 17:35:04
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Tom, you still haven't said what type of models you'd prefer. It's not easy to recommend kits unless you tell us what you want a kit of! There is still a varied selection of kits to build out there Tom, but not all are suitable for novice builders. It's also possible now to buy a plan for a model you fancy, along with a set of ready cut parts to build it. I would stress that these are not kits, but they do provide a way to build a model from a plan without the work of cutting out lots of parts.

Tom H 104/02/2018 17:39:19
14 forum posts

I want to fly the jet planes. I

Andy4804/02/2018 17:40:44
1449 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by Tom H 1 on 04/02/2018 17:18:22:

If I gave up on building my own. Can you still get kits so you can build yourself and get enjoyment from that? Also as I have not brought anything before is there good variety of kits to buy out there?

I think you have to see this hobby in a different way.

First there is learning to fly. Then there is understanding all about what goes into a model (things like balancing, setting flying surface limits, understanding the radio system, understanding how the receiver and servos work, etc.), then there is the building process.

As a total beginner you need to set these as separate gaols. Its no use building wonderful scale models if you can't fly them, or because of your lack of understanding of what it takes for a model to fly, it crashes on first flight.

After taking advice, get something easy to build and repair, and preferably have a spare for the inevitable crashes and down time for repairs. Then learn to fly.

Once you are well on the road to flying and understanding what goes into a model, then you can start to build your own. You will have the rest of your life to do that! smiley

kc04/02/2018 17:43:32
6286 forum posts
170 photos

Kits are available from SLEC

Balsa Cabin ( both these suppliers sell balsa, ply and all the fittings you need except radio.

also DB Sport & Scale amongst others,

Building from plans can be a bit cheaper if you are prepared to cut out the parts.

Edited By kc on 04/02/2018 17:47:06

kc04/02/2018 17:57:03
6286 forum posts
170 photos

Tom you said " I want to fly the jet planes" This is like saying you want to be Lewis Hamilton's team mate in a Formula 1 team before you have even seen a car let alone learnt to drive!. Believe us that the top pilots flying turbines are as skilled at their hobby as Lewis Hamilton is at his driving. Same sort of reaction times too.  

You have to start at the bottom and work your way up -........

Edited By kc on 04/02/2018 17:59:38

cymaz04/02/2018 17:58:49
9019 forum posts
1187 photos

I know you want to get going...but first go and see a couple of clubs. Get to know what a trainer plane looks like and how it is built. I know you want to get flying.... but ( I hope I’m correct, apologies if I’m wrong) but have you ever had a go before? Different styles, builds of planes all have different flying characteristics, something else you will need to learn.

Please don’t take this the wrong way...walk before you get the urge to run. It will help in the long run. Build up your knowledge and skill step by step and ENJOY the journey. There are hundreds of years of knowledge and experience in a club, make the most of it . It’s a hobby, it’s a laugh and sometimes it’s a complete pain in the posterior.

All the best in your new flying venture. Have fun and have a good time

Percy Verance04/02/2018 18:57:43
8108 forum posts
155 photos

To put things completely in perspective Tom, you'd need years of experience before you flew a turbine powered model. In most clubs - the BMFA afilliated ones At least - you'd also need a BMFA "B" certficate..... There's a looooooong way to go before jets Tom........... I've been building and flying models for the best part of 50 years Tom, but I don't think I'd want to tackle a turbine powered job. They're of little interest to me anyway, and I wouldn't want thousands of pounds invested in a single model.

You seem to have reverted to one line answers Tom. If we are to help you properly, we'll need much more information from you. 

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/02/2018 19:25:56

Percy Verance04/02/2018 19:35:59
8108 forum posts
155 photos

I think it's time to move on..........and somehow I think that'll be that. ..........

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/02/2018 19:44:19

Denis Watkins04/02/2018 20:20:55
4177 forum posts
83 photos

Well done Percy, you were very patient

Under quite difficult circumstances

Percy Verance04/02/2018 20:31:33
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Well Denis, I've been wondering for a little while now. Several times over, the question of club membership was posed by several folk, myself included. Yet at no time did *Tom* ask how much club membership might cost, or what might it involve. Odd or what? There were times when *Tom* seemed to go off at a tangent, and didn't seem at all focussed on the subject under discussion. And the comment about flying jets. That was certain to elicit a reaction, which of course it did. I'd love to be wrong Denis, but I fancy there's a bit of leg lifting going on here...... smiley

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/02/2018 20:36:38

ken anderson.04/02/2018 20:36:09
8553 forum posts
776 photos
Must admit Percy,I thought earlierTom was having a laugh,hope I'm wrong.

Ken anderson...ne...1...who are you dept
Percy Verance04/02/2018 20:43:32
8108 forum posts
155 photos

I deliberately posed the question regarding transmitter modes way back in the thread Ken. I reckon 99% of newbies would have immediately asked what transmitter mode was. That had me wondering whether he didn't ask the question because he already knew the answer....... just a thought.  He could of course be the 1%

I have a few more questions too, if he wants to come back and play again........wink

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/02/2018 20:52:24

ken anderson.04/02/2018 20:50:16
8553 forum posts
776 photos
He was given honest and helpful answers...no more/less...well done to all concerned..

Ken anderson..ne...1...help dept

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us