By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Please help newbie

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Tom H 104/02/2018 20:51:58
14 forum posts

Hi sorry so many questions were coming at me and forum posts so quick I was trying to deal with certain parts of questions I had at a time and then research those parts before replying back. I never replied back on the transmitter question because I work in IT etc so I am pretty ok with that sort of knowledge. It’s more the basics of how to fly, best places to get kit from etc.

cymaz04/02/2018 20:58:15
9019 forum posts
1187 photos
Posted by Tom H 1 on 04/02/2018 20:51:58:

Hi sorry so many questions were coming at me and forum posts so quick I was trying to deal with certain parts of questions I had at a time and then research those parts before replying back. I never replied back on the transmitter question because I work in IT etc so I am pretty ok with that sort of knowledge. It’s more the basics of how to fly, best places to get kit from etc.

Those questions will be easily answered at a club and by the instructor. Clubs could use a buddy box system. This means the instructor has the master Tx and you have the slave. The makes of Tx will need to be the same, that’s why it’s important to get the correct transmitter that most of the club uses. I’m in two clubs one uses mostly Futaba and the other mostly Spektrum....

Percy Verance04/02/2018 20:58:56
8108 forum posts
155 photos

We can't tell you how to fly a model plane Tom. It's something you'll need hands on experience with. Rather like learning to drive. In fact that's a good comparison - the timescales are similar. And joining a club will mean you get to meet other flyers Tom. They'll explain where they prefer to buy their gear. Sometimes club membership can bring a bit of discount at some model shops. So Tom, what are your thoughts on club membership?

We'll say it again Tom. The best way forward for you - by far - is to find your nearest club and join it. It's the best way to ensure success. I know you're itching to get your hands on a model, and you want to *have a go*, but in reality your chances of success are small without help. Let me put it this way Tom. If you had 20 models all lined up and ready to fly, by the time you'd reached the 20th model, you wouldn't have been in the air 5 minutes in total. That's the reality. You need help from a club Tom. Please try and accept this.......

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/02/2018 21:19:31

cymaz04/02/2018 21:08:23
9019 forum posts
1187 photos

I’ve done all I can for a minute...until we know more.

Paul Marsh04/02/2018 21:12:05
3840 forum posts
1110 photos

Where in Cheshire are you? I live in Congleton.

Percy Verance04/02/2018 21:15:50
8108 forum posts
155 photos

He's off Paul. You must be breathing down his neck.........

Andy4804/02/2018 21:16:20
1449 forum posts
7 photos
Posted by cymaz on 04/02/2018 20:58:15:

The makes of Tx will need to be the same, that’s why it’s important to get the correct transmitter that most of the club uses. I’m in two clubs one uses mostly Futaba and the other mostly Spektrum....

Not necessarily true these days Cymaz.

Percy Verance04/02/2018 21:23:52
8108 forum posts
155 photos

There is a model flyer here from Cheshire Tom. An excellent opportunity to ask some questions perhaps?

cymaz04/02/2018 21:29:18
9019 forum posts
1187 photos
Posted by Andy48 on 04/02/2018 21:16:20:
Posted by cymaz on 04/02/2018 20:58:15:

The makes of Tx will need to be the same, that’s why it’s important to get the correct transmitter that most of the club uses. I’m in two clubs one uses mostly Futaba and the other mostly Spektrum....

Not necessarily true these days Cymaz.

Yes, but still very common in our patch. It’s still useful if you know the students Tx make. It makes programming problems easy to fix and explain.

Percy Verance04/02/2018 21:32:37
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Back to my earlier unanswered question Tom. What are your thoughts regarding club membership?

Percy Verance04/02/2018 21:39:25
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Well chaps, he's no longer active on the forum. Seems to have gone for the night.

For someone who claims to need help, he doesn't stick around long.......

He returned to explain why he didn't answer my earlier question about transmitter modes , and then he goes. All a bit strange, as was the answer he gave........

Edited By Percy Verance on 04/02/2018 21:54:26

cymaz04/02/2018 21:58:00
9019 forum posts
1187 photos

Well I’m not sticking around....work in the morning angry 2

Tom H 104/02/2018 22:00:40
14 forum posts

Gentleman please calm down I was driving back from my girlfriend. I was also looking at the location map for club locations I am from sandbach in Cheshire and noticed two clubs by me. I knew membership costs would be involved and looked at the clubs websites to see if prices were on these.

cymaz04/02/2018 22:20:01
9019 forum posts
1187 photos

Ok, no problem....just trying to helpteeth 2. ....

Tom H 104/02/2018 22:21:22
14 forum posts

It’s no problem. Just so much to read and understand. I don’t understand how people work out the battery to motor flight time equation. Couple examples seem confusing. Am I missing something!!!!!

cymaz04/02/2018 22:35:57
9019 forum posts
1187 photos

Someone will definitely help you with battery power...I’m a dye in the wool IC man

THIS thread might help...BEB and many others are electric fliers and there is plenty of threads here about electric motors, batteries etc

Edited By cymaz on 04/02/2018 22:36:50

Tom H 104/02/2018 22:37:24
14 forum posts

Thanks for this. So confusing but it sounds like it should be so simple to work out. Is there a class rating for motors?

Simon Chaddock05/02/2018 00:03:22
5613 forum posts
2978 photos

Tom

If you want to fly RC planes surely the best starting point is to buy a 'ready to fly' plane. It will already have a suitable motor ,battery, prop and servos and more important it will fly. How well iwill be down to you and you instructor.

It is also likely be able to withstand a certain amount of punishment which will happen as you learn

When you can fly it well you will have a much better understanding of what is required so the chances of success with you first build will be much improved. There is nothing more disheartening than watching the result of many hours of labour get destroyed in just a few seconds,

Although an experienced model builder and flyer I had never flown an electric RC plane so after the usual 20 year 'career' break I bought a ready to fly foam RC plane.

It did indeed fly but more important it gave me a starting point so with the help and advice of forums i was able to understand both how to improve it and just as vital what not to do.

There is a lot to learn, Take it in easy stages!

Frank Skilbeck05/02/2018 08:55:59
4603 forum posts
101 photos
Posted by Tom H 1 on 04/02/2018 22:21:22:

It’s no problem. Just so much to read and understand. I don’t understand how people work out the battery to motor flight time equation. Couple examples seem confusing. Am I missing something!!!!!

Tom there are a couple of programs you can download that calculate the power, amps, thrust etc of various propeller, motor battery combinations, e.g. drivecalc and Ecalc, but your best option if you are going to build anything would be to just post on the forum somebody would come back with a recommendation (or ask a fellow club member!)

Percy Verance05/02/2018 09:51:06
8108 forum posts
155 photos

Oh dear. I just don't understand where you are coming from Tom.

At this point in time there is NO NEED WHATSOEVER to concern yourself with motor ratings, flight time, power etc. The answers to your questions (and more!) will be there if you go along to your nearest club!

And I'll say it for the final time. Please DON'T go out and buy a model or any other parts until you're much clearer about what's actually required. That would be after several visits to your nearest club.

Just to make you aware Tom, there are several things to be done prior to flying a model, particularly a new unflown one. It has to balanced correctly - on the C of G - otherwise it just won't fly right. And if it's balanced to the rear of the stated C of G, then it almost certainly won't fly at all! All the controls of the model must be tested and calibrated prior to that first flight, to ensure the control movements are set correctly - and in the correct "sense" ie: is up at the transmitter really up on the model? Many get caught out here. I have been myself in the past. Propellors. Before you use a new propellor for the first time, it has to be carefully balanced Tom. These things spin round at thousands of rpm, and a poorly balanced prop will simply shake everything to bits including the radio gear in the model. And these are NOT things which can be sidestepped or ignored. You MUST do them to ensure the model flies well.

We are trying our best to point you in the right direction here Tom, but you repeatedly seem to go off at a tangent and ask questions which are totally unrelated to what's actually being discussed! Now I'm happy to help you. I've taught a good number of people to fly over the past 35 odd years, but it is vitally important you listen, and take our advice. Otherwise some of us will just leave you to it. After all, it was you who came here asking for help.

And I'll ask the (still unanswered) question yet again. What are your thoughts on club membership Tom? If this doesn't get a half decent answer, I'm off........

Edited By Percy Verance on 05/02/2018 10:13:55

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
Sussex Model Centre
CML
Cambridge Gliding Club
CADMA
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us