Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

packaging

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
John Tee04/02/2018 19:58:11
693 forum posts
65 photos

img_0518.jpgLast Sunday I ordered 2 x 6" propellors and 1 x 4" propellers from a shop I have used before. Should state that this is not a thread knocking the shop probably more the courier as the service was excellent. The government are having a clampdown on plastic waste etc. I was out when the courier arrived so he left my Jiffy bag with my neighbour as I thought, wondered why as I have a large letter box. Collecting the package I was given a cardboard box 13.5" x 11.5" x 2"containing my three props. As the box was printed with the courier name all over I assume that they supply the packing for the parcels they collect. A medium size padded envelope would have been sufficient for my bits. Save the planet?

john

Edited By John Tee on 04/02/2018 19:58:59

Martin Harris04/02/2018 22:14:26
8016 forum posts
203 photos

I can easily match that with this delivery of 3 packs of small glass fuses from RS Components...free next day signed for P&P!

20171116_113324.jpg

John Tee05/02/2018 00:18:47
693 forum posts
65 photos

Crazy

John Tee05/02/2018 00:22:02
693 forum posts
65 photos

Martin,I added my photo after writing the message as I wanted the photo last but it went to the top. How did you get yours at the bottom?

John

Martin Harris05/02/2018 00:37:01
8016 forum posts
203 photos

The picture goes where the cursor is - write some text, do a carriage return (enter key) and then post the picture.

You can also pop a picture in the middle of some text by clicking where you want it to go and then posting the picture.

You can resize it by clicking on the picture and dragging the corner squares.

Both the images above are clickable and open up in full size. Click the browser's back arrow to return to the thread.

Some people have a preference to getting the picture to open in a new window. Click on this one:

to see the difference (to enable this when you're posting or editing, go to the icon to the left of the camera icon, select Link tab, target, new window).

Edited By Martin Harris on 05/02/2018 00:53:09

John Tee05/02/2018 08:28:00
693 forum posts
65 photos

Thanks I'll try to remember that

John

John Muir05/02/2018 08:34:50
357 forum posts
1 photos

Well at least the cardboard boxes will biodegrade or recycle. Most padded envelopes won't as they're full of plastic bubble wrap.

John.

Geoff Sleath05/02/2018 12:58:22
3022 forum posts
247 photos

I ordered 8 x 1S 200mAH LiPos for my indoor winter flying from HK. They arrived each in a little cardboard box that was easily big enough to accommodate all 8 of the batteries.

I think big on-line mail order companies like Amazon or, in our case, HK have a selection of boxes ready to use with a lot of lightweight (usually plastic) packing material so inevitably the packages end up being mostly air. At least, if they're cardboard, they're recyclable.

Geoff

MaL05/02/2018 16:55:03
123 forum posts
13 photos

Big parcels are generally harder to lose... you should be thankful yours were oversizeyes.

Don Fry05/02/2018 17:01:11
2887 forum posts
35 photos

I once tried to send a receiver through Small Packages. Bloke up the post office was direct. You are asking to get that lost. Use a bigger box he said.

onetenor05/02/2018 17:33:08
1815 forum posts

In other words small packages are more easily concealed when being stolen.Books are quite often "LOST" in transit. I'm sorry to say this but it does happen. I've just contacted the supplier of a book which is overdue.It is normally quite an expensive book to buy even in paperback but I bought this one at a lucky price. The supplier has told me if it doesn't arrive by the 8 th he will refund me all costs. This has happened a few times from different suppliers. Stripped of the packaging which is dumped the contents are easily pocketed and there are no identifiers as to ownership even if the suspected thief is asked where the book came from. One bad apple etcangry

John Lee19/03/2018 14:10:03
567 forum posts
42 photos

So ordered fixtures to mount floats on my CarbonZ Cub from Horizon Hobby Europe, postage very reasonable at £3.20, I expected a padded bag but this box arrived (that's a12inch metal ruler alongside): unadjustednonraw_thumb_b2b.jpgin which were 4 pieces of wire: unadjustednonraw_thumb_b2c.jpg

David Davis12/10/2018 09:08:37
3139 forum posts
525 photos

I odered two cables for the glow plugs of my Laser 150 V Twin from the French supplier Weymuller. These arrived promptly in a box measuring 22 x 16 x 12 cms or about 8.25" x 6" x 4.75."

I can compost the box or use it to light the fire but what do I do with the Storopack?

cables and boxes.jpg

Dave Hess12/10/2018 10:47:28
258 forum posts
18 photos

At least cardboard is recyclable and biodegradable.

What I hate is when the stuff inside the box is wrapped in bubble-wrap, then selotaped so you can't get the delicate items out without breaking or cutting in to them. I just bought an ARTF plane that has very delicate balsa structures. Each of them (wings, fin, tailplane and fuselage) is protected by a relatively stiff plastic sleeve wrapped around, then tightly selotaped all round. The selotape is completely unnecessary because the locations in the box prevent the items coming out of the sleeves. It's a really difficult surgical operation to remove the said items from their sleeves. The selotape only adds to the risk of damage and doesn't prevent anything.

One explanation for the rather large cardboard boxes is that many businesses have to pay to dispose of their waste packaging, so it makes a lot of sense to reuse it and send it to customers rather than buy additional more appropriate sized packaging that only adds to the waste pile.

supertigrefan12/10/2018 11:21:15
430 forum posts
8 photos

Suggestion:

1) When you fill in the order details, in the "Special Instructions" box where you normally write 'Leave with no.x if no answer' type that you'd like the item sent with thought and regard for the environment.

If it doesn't then:

2) Get in touch with the Customer Services dept of the company that packaged and dispatched the item to express your dissatisfaction.

This is a regular gripe, not just on this forum but many others and the only way you're going to change it is tell the companies that you're not happy, that they need to be more in step, that you will use another company etc. Unless you contact them directly, nothing you put here will change things.

Nigel R12/10/2018 13:01:06
1969 forum posts
366 photos

If you want odd size parcels, it may be more expensive to hand pack and load and post.

David Davis12/10/2018 14:24:30
3139 forum posts
525 photos
Posted by Nigel R on 12/10/2018 13:01:06:

If you want odd size parcels, it may be more expensive to hand pack and load and post.

I put the same post onto an American website and one respondent said that it was a question of the speed with which order pickers have to work. They just find the first box and shove your order into it.

Nigel R12/10/2018 14:55:45
1969 forum posts
366 photos
I can well believe that DD especially of big box shifters.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
CML
Slec
Expo Tools 14 July
Motion RC
Gliders Distribution
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Airtek Hobbies
Wings & Wheels 2018
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us