By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Ferocious Frankie- Brian Taylor P-51

Trying to make something that looks a bit like the picture and hopefully flies.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Concorde Speedbird08/03/2020 18:24:41
2734 forum posts
650 photos

W017

Making jigs to turn the wing over.

W018

W019

And then turned over...

W20

W21

And now glued. The mug row is on a bit of wood on the jig tabs to maintain straightness. I'm confident it will be straight when revealed. Next is either to do the other side of the wing or make the flap and aileron for this side, not decided yet.

Concorde Speedbird09/03/2020 22:39:55
2734 forum posts
650 photos

Wahey

W22

Initially when I placed it on the board I thought it was horribly twisted. Then I realised I had not factored in the fact that the wing was partially sheeted. Once I had, then I checked and it's probably the straightest wing I've built. Pleasing! Stiff now too.

Next is to build the other half of the wing onto this half.

Tim Flyer11/04/2020 10:00:10
1290 forum posts
236 photos

Very impressive, must say I’m quite tempted by a BT Mustang too...

Six_50s17/04/2020 15:03:52
3 forum posts

Hello. I have been watching your P-51 build with equal enthusiasm, since I am building the same kit. Regarding those C Jet retracts, how did you get the strut on the outside of the retract? Custom work from C Jet? Also did they convert them to electric as well? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx, Mark

Six_50s05/06/2020 16:14:20
3 forum posts

I guess he is no longer working on this project.....

Mark

Concorde Speedbird05/06/2020 21:17:51
2734 forum posts
650 photos

Sorry Mark, I have been tied up with work recently. Hoping to get back on this soon, I've done some more but not posted yet.

I asked century jet to do the retracts like that to match the plan, and I believe they offer the electric conversion. They're pretty heavy, I might try to get lighter oleos at some point.

Six_50s07/06/2020 01:54:18
3 forum posts

Ok, thx. Do you remember who you contacted at Century Jet? They have not answered my calls or e-mail.

Mark

Gary Clark 107/06/2020 11:53:52
236 forum posts
131 photos

Glad to see you making progress again Jacob, following along.

Interesting that you managed to get unitracts Rodney, I e tried several times and never had any luck.

Gary

Danny Fenton07/06/2020 12:04:35
9631 forum posts
4449 photos

I was talking to a friend the other day who has managed to get in touch with Unitracts, however the promised retracts are proving very slow in materialising. So they are still going, but appears to be very much part time.

There are a few engineers set up to do retracts, Might be worth looking at some of the others. Used to be a few listed in RCM&E though i have n't checked lately.

The friend also mentioned he had used a company in Burton, I will see if I can track down their name.

Cheers

Danny

Danny Fenton07/06/2020 12:34:38
9631 forum posts
4449 photos

My friend Richard has just got back to me:

"Dave Brown is the guy who made my Typhoon ones, he was really good, he even re made new mid rail side frames for me as the original ones would not fit properly. Tel 07968254056"

Hope that helps?

Cheers

Danny

Gary Clark 107/06/2020 12:36:44
236 forum posts
131 photos

That info would be great Danny. I would be more than happy to wait for an order, especially when its retracts designed specifically for that aircraft but more importantly I'd rather give my money to smaller businesses in the UK.

Gary

Peter G Simpson10/06/2020 11:19:13
35 forum posts
191 photos

Not wanting to hijack Jacobs enjoyable build thread, to continue the retract discussion, I was recently looking into commercially available retracts that would suit the Taylor P51 recently. The problem being the oleo pivot point being out front of the retract unit. As the P51 legs are outboard the oleos are quite long meaning much more leverage on the retract unit during a dodgy landing than say a spitfire of the same scale. So the retracts need to be pretty robust.

My 69” spit has 140mm oleos, where as the P51 requires 185mm oleos.

With this in mind I was considering the Robart low profile retract #551RS 85deg. Fitting this would require the compromise of moving the leg pivot point rear wards from the scale position to get the unit within the scale wing thickness. This may not be acceptable if you are producing a competition scale model, but may be ok for a more practical everyday flyer. Another downside is that the Robart gear and suitable legs add up to quite a lot of dosh.

Danny Fenton10/06/2020 11:45:44
9631 forum posts
4449 photos

You are not wrong Peter, the Unitracts units have a bronze bearing block set into the wing leading edge to help with the load. A tricky one.....

Cheers

Danny

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!